homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Show your tats... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Show your tats...
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 08:37      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey CommanderShroom

quote:
I am a tatooed bad boy and even I think #2 is the better choice.
Show us show us show us...

I'll post mine if you do...
[Cool]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1924 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 09:04      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry seranak. I am actually a bit embarrassed by them. Got 3.

Elipsis on my hand(i.e. party dots) did that myself.

Left shoulder - I gots the hades triangle. You know the one Iron Maiden always put on Eddie.

Right shoulder - I have a tat of Jack Luminous from the Voivod Outer Limits album.

I thinking about getting re-inked, but finances get in the way. I am looking to add a set of dragons ( one Western the other Chinese) to my back with the shredded remains of a Korean and U.S. flags with Half-breed under it. And I have planned on re-inking the left shoulder to a true bleeding heart with a whiskey bottle. Now Jack on he other hand I have always wanted to finish. It is some decent artwork that I wanted to complete. I was wanting to do the 3-D effect that came from the original artwork. I was going to have a local shop to clean the black and add red lining to it.

BTW - all were done using an unwound low E string. A bic pen and a walkman moter. So you can guess why I don't really show them off. [Smile]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2435 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 15:25      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Shroom,

Didn't mean to embarass you (hope I haven't) just most people don't mention they've got them unless they're fairly proud of them.

I've only got one - its big (well covers my left forearm anyway), black and sort of pseudo tribal. I had it done by an award winning studio/tattooist, it cost me plenty but I love it and think it was worth every minute of the five hours under the needle and every penny it cost.

I got it done at 37, though I'd been thinking about it since about 25... Just really wanted to find the right thing for me. I think it was the rise in availability of black only work that swung it for me...

Don't think I'd bother with another just because I'm so happy with what I've got and I think a second would lead to a third and so on... Tattoos do seem to be a bit addictive for many people.

If I did have another I think an eye of Horus on the left shoulder/chest/breast would be favourite, probably followed by an Apple logo... (black only, the idea of colour just doesn't seem to appeal to me).

I can appreciate what you say regarding finances, good tat work don't come cheap. My tattooist practically apologised to me for the fact he charged GBP40 an hour. I don't know why really, good mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc. do - why shouldn't he? Plus I bet his overheads (studio, autoclaves, licences) don't come cheap either...

If and when the time is right you will have done whatever makes you feel good.

Rock on man...

[Cool]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 16:17      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not embarrassed at all. I don't like my tats, but I am not ashamed either.

If I was ashamed at the questionable things I have done, I don't think I could leave the house. And man I gots me some stories. All the good things. I got substance abuse, gigging musician, legally questionable items and with a decent amount of debauchery tossed in for good measure.

Did my fair share and somebody else's too. I live by the motto "If I got what I deserved I would be one miserable man."

The work I want will cost about $2000 from a decent shop. Well I just figure that I got better things to spend my money on. Chrome drag pipes for the motorcycle, for instance. I will get the work done, just not yet.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2435 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 16:24      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any right now but as soon as tax return time comes I'm getting one on my shoulder.

It's going to be a Martini glass with a girl laying in it with one leg in the air and holding an apple. The only color in it will be the apple with some red in it.

Apple - knowlage
Girl - Lust
Martini glass - Good times

I also want a Seahoarse. It represents the father and specifically single father. In the seahoarse world the mother is the one that leaves and the male that takes care of the babies. Before I met my wife I was a single parent. His mother left him/us(After putting a knife in my hand for not giving her money(She was doped up btw)) I'm more then happy to have her gone. Now I have 2 great children and a great wife. You really learn to appretiate people after you have been in a really horable relationship.

But anyway. My 3rd one I want an arm band. I havn't decided what yet.

And the 4th I want one of the ones I don't know if anyone has seen them but it looks as if something is comming out of your skin. I think they look cool.

I saw my wife get her last one. She didn't seem to be in much pain. It was kind of fun to watch. she thought i wa wierd for wanting one after seeing it get done.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 17:24      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What makes a Seahoarse?

All the salt water? The fish pee?

Can we start another thread callled:

Show us your TEATS!

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 17:32      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

Show us your TEATS!

Here you go Cap'n
 -

Now show us yours. [evil]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 17:37      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want an eastern dragon on my left shoulder blade. I was planing to get it done this Christmas, but then two things happened: my baby sister wanted a very expensive present and then I lost my mountaineering gloves. That was the nail in the coffin so to speak. A good pair of gloves costs upwards of $60, and since I also use them for things like biking in the winter, snowboarding, and ice-climbing, I need a new pair like yesterday. It may seem weird that I'm willing to shell out that much for gloves when you practically have to break my arms to get me to go out and buy new sneakers, but my fingers are worth a lot to me.

No comment on the teats.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 17:53      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are mine, even if no one else is going to post any:
 -
 -

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 17:57      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac D,

People say they hurt, mine wasn't that bad, more like someone running a fingernail across sunburnt skin - then again some places hurt more (it got a bit iffy near the wrist bone).

Yes I've seen the "burster" type tats. Often featuring Geigeresque aliens, HM Eddie style zomboids or simply torn flesh with cyborg or more Geiger workings below... Good ones can be nice - poor ones look cheap and nasty (same can be said of all tattoos mind you)

Like the seahorse, what style were you thinking? I've seen some really nice tribal/stencil style ones (but then I like that stuff)

The martini glass is a bit of a trad/retro/cliché motif - but then again a good artist should be able to throw you a new take on it

My advice (basically from my tattooist)

1) take your time - tats cost hard cash (often lots) and, more importantly are the ultimate "anti-fashion" statement, you ARE marking yourself for life BE CAREFUL

2) if you start to get serious about the idea get a few mags, check out who does what styles, who's rated, find out what is on offer - talk to people with tattoos about who, when, where.

3) any good and reputable tattoo artist will be happy/expect to consult with you and discuss what you might want and what styles and services they offer at least once and probably more. Tattooists are creatives - if they don't proudly offer to show you a portfolio of photo's of their work for you to coo and drool over RUN, don't walk, out and don't go back.

4) Approaching people (even scary looking ones) regarding tattoos is pretty easy and usually goes along the lines of

"Excuse me, I hope I'm not interupting but I couldn't help noticing your (fill in eyecatching piece here) tattoo. I'm thinking of having something similar done and I just wondered where you got that done."

Biggest risk in that approach is that you may find youself getting a long "tattoo-ography"

I myself have to admit to a certain glow when a stranger says - "Man that's a wicked tattoo, can I just ask....."

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 19, 2004 18:02      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

Black Widow, have you ever been featured in any tattoo mags? Just seems I've seen the frog one somewhere - then again...

Nice sun, I considered a Green Man as a possible but it didn't really fit where I knew I wanted my tat...

[Smile]

--------------------

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 18:08      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Hey,

Black Widow, have you ever been featured in any tattoo mags? Just seems I've seen the frog one somewhere - then again...

Nice sun, I considered a Green Man as a possible but it didn't really fit where I knew I wanted my tat...

[Smile]

No mag features that I know of, at least for me. My dad has a similar tat of frogs on his arm that was in a mag, but afaik the artist never put me in.

The sun was a custom draw, same artist, no one will ever have that same one. At least not by him.

Thanks!

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 18:12      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It may remind you of klynn's avatar.

-

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 18:15      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe that's it then,

Mind you I looked at a lot of stuff in a lot of mags and in the end some of it starts to kinda blur together. Also that was about 5+ years ago now... time blurs it even more!

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 18:20      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it isn't Klynn

However wildlife tattoos were very popular a few years ago (probably still are). It wouldn't surprise me to have seen something similar to BW's in a mag, frogs are strangely popular (esp those tropical tree frogs - I thnk it's a "cute" and/or colour thing)
[Wink]

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 18:29      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O.K. there BW since you showed us yours I will get a shot of my Jack when I get back to work on Monday. I don't have a digital camera here.

Cool ink work too. The shop I plan on going to is up in a town called Beaumont. They have done a couple of my sister's and they are sharp. No outlines. They use the color of the fill for the outline work. Which means it takes longer due to the color changes but the images jump out at you.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 18:30      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I thnk it's a "cute" and/or colour thing)

20+ hours of tat work exceeds the "cuteness" factor of my frogs.
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 18:33      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
The shop I plan on going to is up in a town called Beaumont.

Sh*t. You live in Riverside. There is a tat artist in Riverside named Todd, I don't know where he's at...he used to work at the same shop where I got all my work done. He's awesome. Uhm...he's got "American" tattooed on the inside of his lower lip...that's all I got. [Wink]
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 18:34      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No disrespect meant there,

I was referring to the apparent popularity of the frog as a tattoo image, not the quality...

That is definitely a fine peice of inking

--------------------

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 18:40      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No disrespect meant there,

I was referring to the apparent popularity of the frog as a tattoo image, not the quality...

That is definitely a fine peice of inking

No, and I didn't intend to come across as unappreciative or ungrateful. [Smile]
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 19:00      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
Sh*t. You live in Riverside. There is a tat artist in Riverside named Todd,

Actually ouside of Riverside. But when I mention the name of my town you just get a blank stare unless they're a local.

American, huh? Nothing else on that tat like Pride or what not? Actually a family friend had skinhead on the inside of his. He don't show that one off anymore.
[Big Grin]

You know I always did like the old syle black and grey work from the 40's and 50's. I want to put a Betty Page in an Alice outfit on the top of my motorcycle gastank. Get it? Alice in Wonderland, CommanderShroom, pretty f'n funny, eh?

I did joke with my wife the last time she got inked, that I wanted to get a Mom tatoo. You know the ones with the heart?

That is where the idea for the human heart and whiskey bottle came from. I told her I should get a tatoo on each shoulder. A heart with a Mom banner and a bottle of Jim Beam with Dad.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 19:17      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly here in UK there is quite big revival/reawakening of interest in 40s/50s retro style tattooing

possibly as a reaction to the other big trends (trad native - ie Maori, Polynesian, etc, and/or trad Japanese lo-tech, branding and scarification, super hi-tech - day-glo inks, Geigeresque, etc.)

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 08:27      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is as promised. My bad tattoo.

And forgive the page. I just did a quick build.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 09:00      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always wanted to get a tattoo, but have never found the correct image.

I really would like an mechanical type dragon, imagine iron/steel body like the Nautilus, with the rivets showing and angular shapes.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 09:39      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Here it is as promised. My bad tattoo.

And forgive the page. I just did a quick build.

Apparently a little too quick. I can't get the link to work. =/

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.