homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I had acid poured on me today...... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I had acid poured on me today......
Koeniou
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3024

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 03, 2004 23:06      Profile for Koeniou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no kidding.

This afternoon I had double chemistry. Today is the day that we do experiments in pairs.

We're studying thermochemistry at the moment. We were testing endo & exothermic reactions when neutralising acids.

Anyway, there's an uneven number of girls, so I went with a guy (Matt). Matt is generally considered to be quite smart & is doing lots of maths/science subjects next year. But after today i'm suprised he hasn't blown the chem (or physics) lab up yet.

The first few bits of the experiment went well. Matt was acting a little childish- i swear he looked like a 3 year-old when he went to read the thermometer at one point. This is where the fun starts. Matt had slowly but surely started to get just a little more hyperactive, but i thought he'd calm down when we started using acid. Man, was i wrong.

I went over to the hydrochloric acid to get what we needed to get. I bring it back to the work bench where Matt is waiting with bated breath.
I go to go and pour the acid into the container we were using, when Matt pips up with "please can i do it, please" & i assumed that he'd be compentant enough to be able to transfer liquid from one container to another.

I hand over the container and he proceeds to pour it in- but he doesn't do it gently or with any reverence to the fact its acid. He doesn't even put out a hand to steady the other container. Over the container goes. I had just realised that he wasn't going to hold the second container, so i reach forward my hand to hold it still before disaster struck, unfortunaetly i was too late. i got about 100ml of hyrdochloric acid poured on my hands.

I immediaetly washed my hands a few times with soap. While i was doing this, Matt got distracted by something, and had turned around quickly, knocking over a glass beaker, which proceeded to break in the pool of hyrdochloric acid.

The teacher & a lab tech came over to clean it up while i was still cleaning my hands. They gave us the all clear to start again so i went over to go get more of the acid for it. I then succesfully completed that part of the experiment, with some of Matt's help (or is that hindarance?).

For the next part of the experiment we were to use Nitric Acid, which i went over & brought back. While i went & got the akali to neutralise it, Matt must have gotten bored. Behind we i heard Matt say "if you hold it up to your ear, you can hear it make sounds". I turned around to see that he was walking around the room with the container held up to his ear. I rush over and take the container off him, while the rest of my class was just laughing at us now.

Matt's response to me telling him off? "i'm sorry, i didn't realise it was acid". My response to this? "when i told you i had just got the nitric acid what part of acid didn't you get. It's the acid part that gives it awway that it's an acid." Blank looks ensue.

We did manage to finish the experiments with out any more major mishaps, but now my chem teacher has decided that Matt & i "work so well together" that we'll be lab partners for the rest of the school year. Thank godness it's only 3 weeks.

I hope it's a nice & simple experiment next week [Frown] .

I also wonder how Matt is going to survie all next year doing chem & physic without causing a mutilation of some description.

I'll keep you posted

Posts: 10 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 05:42      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hydrochloric is really good for cutting break lines (I'm married to a cop I hear about this stuff all the time) Because they can tell if it has been cut in anyway and if they see it looks like acid burn they will just think something happened with your battery (Or an old one you have replaced) since it takes a wile for the acid to actually burn the line.

(I am NOT responsible for anyone that actually does this. Just posting for statistical porposes only. Please do not try this at home)

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 05:59      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice tip, Mac D - your assistance in the revolution will be appreciated.

- I hope you realise that you've just committed a crime under your beloved Republican Patriot Act. Bin nice knowin' ya.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 06:01      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that where the case they would arrest anyone working for a T.V. network that made a show about a detective. They tell you all sorts of things on thoes shows. CSI tells you all sorts of things.

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 06:08      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to remind them of this when they're cavity searching you.

--------------------

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 06:23      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I like cavatiy searches

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 06:43      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
Maybe I like cavatiy searches

Now we're talking!

"Recreational enema, Mr Spungo?"

--------------------

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 08:51      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! I am glad that you are okay!
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 08:57      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mentally, he's not.

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 16:59      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, that is debatable... but not by the sane

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
chick2geek
Geek Larva
Member # 3052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 22:09      Profile for chick2geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Koeniou:
my chem teacher has decided that Matt & i "work so well together" that we'll be lab partners for the rest of the school year. Thank godness it's only 3 weeks.

Maybe the next experiment will involve concoting a brew that creates SEVERE diarrhea and cramping so bad... that he will be bed-ridden for three weeks.
If not, you could always concoct something youerself being the Super Geek that you are!

Matt is evvviiiilllll, like the fruits (fruwets) of the Deviiiillllll!

--------------------
“The battle of the sexes will NEVER be won… there is too much fraternizing with the enemy”

Posts: 28 | From: ID | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2004 17:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me remembers when dropping acid in class could get you in a lot of trouble [Cool]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2004 17:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Koeniou, for the safety of the entire school, please make sure your buddy understands how to work a bunsen burner before letting him near one. He sounds a lot like the jackass I had in one of the lab sections I TAed last spring. The kid, after sitting right in front of me as I demonstrated how to light and use a burner, apparently missed the part about how the burner is connected to the gas valve. He opened the gas, and as the gas came out of the valve, lit it. This resulted in jet of blue flame shooting across the bench. He promptly turned the gas off, and since he couldn't quite figure out what the problem was, this little genius did it again...while I was watching. I set him straight without the use of foul language (I should get some good karma for that) and then shuddered with relief that the back pressure on the valve was too high for the burning gass to backdraft into the gas lines and kill the entire chemistry department.

I hope the acid burns weren't too bad. Those can get pretty heinous.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Koeniou
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3024

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 07, 2004 21:57      Profile for Koeniou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to have come out quite lucky- no permanent damage, jsut a little bit of imflamation.

I'll keep in mind the bunsen burner thing *shudder*.

There's is some good news though- Matt is on an excursion Thurs, meaning he wont be there for the experiment

Posts: 10 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2004 22:17      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
...shuddered with relief that the back pressure on the valve was too high for the burning gass to backdraft into the gas lines and kill the entire chemistry department.

I doubt you would have to worry about that -- there's no oxygen in the gas lines to support combustion. If there were, you'd run the risk of an explosion every time someone used a bunsen burner.

Hydrochloric acid burns are not too bad, all things considered. Sulfuric + nitric (mix of both, concentrated), now there's a good time. I once accidentally got a small drop on myself, and in the two seconds it took to get my hand under the tap, I could feel the heat...

Bonus marks if anyone can figure out what I was doing.

Moe

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 01:15      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, were you trying to dissolve gold?
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 02:26      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moe Monkey:
Bonus marks if anyone can figure out what I was doing

Nitration of benzene (trying to remember college chemistry, so be gentle). May not be the right name, its the one where you're adding an -NO2 group or two to the ring?
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 03:36      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
/me remembers when dropping acid in class could get you in a lot of trouble [Cool]

/me remembers when making acid in class got you into even more trouble! [Eek!] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [evil]

And I was not allowed put it into the coffee machine in the teachers' lounge [cry baby] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 04:02      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:Nitration of benzene (trying to remember college chemistry, so be gentle). May not be the right name, its the one where you're adding an -NO2 group or two to the ring?
Close -- I was nitrating something, but it wasn’t benzene... Now I'm thinking I should let it drop, lest the kiddies get ideas.
[evil]

littlefish, dissolving gold requires aqua regia, which is hydrochloric acid and nitric acid.

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 05:06      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can never remember whether it's hydrochloric or sulfuric acid you add to nitric acid to make aqua regia. Thankfully I don't have to do any of that any more.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 08, 2004 05:34      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moe Monkey:
Close -- I was nitrating something, but it wasn’t benzene... Now I'm thinking I should let it drop, lest the kiddies get ideas.
[evil]

So it was, er, dinitrobenzene you were nitrating? I know the stuff, not the name - a benzene with two -NO2 groups attached? Aiming for a well known TLA with three nitro groups?
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted November 08, 2004 05:40      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Koeniou:
but now my chem teacher has decided that Matt & i "work so well together" that we'll be lab partners for the rest of the school year. Thank godness it's only 3 weeks.

It sounds like your teacher has designated you his babysitter. Perhaps your teacher thinks you're the only one strong enough to handle him. I know it sucks for you, but at least you can take it as a compliment.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 07:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNT?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 07:56      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if this fits the chemical requirement, but as far as TLAs ... what was the topic again? Yup, that's my answer.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 08:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
TNT?

I'm DYNAMITE!
I'm TNT!
and I'll win that fight!

.. sorry.. got carried away.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture