homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » 2 computers, 2 OS'es & a KVM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 computers, 2 OS'es & a KVM
SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted October 02, 2004 13:29      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so proud of me. [Smile] I had not done this before but now I have my WinXP box and used my old P2 400 machine as a Fedora Linux box and I can leave them both running and switch between them using a KVM switch. [Smile] Now I do not have to choose which one I wanna boot into. I was using one machine with 2 hard drives and a boot loader. Now I can have seperate machines, no boot loader and with a button push can choose which one I wanna use. I know you GEEKS out there might be going...."big deal"...I am kidding but hey this is a new thing for me. Now I can practice learning more about the Linux command line without having to choose between WinXP or Linux. My goal is to use Linux as my everyday box and use Windows for my gaming needs. Linux sems to have everything that I need for day to day and it is all free. Thanks again guys for helping me grow as a GEEK. W00T
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Wrote a song bout it, like to hear it....here it go

Posts: 47 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2004 17:42      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been trying to setup a similar system for a while, but as I am only a mod app I do not really have enough money to do it.

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2004 18:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, you can use the Linux box quite acceptably from the Windows machine, or vice versa - sans KVM. I'm not saying that you haven't done something cool and convenient, just that amusing, semi-evil hacks can be done [Big Grin] . For instance, this setup is one I sketched a bit back to make a picture of how I have 2 [Windows] boxen hooked up, after I had used way too many words in an IM to uilleann. I have a bit of a thing for networking, and so I mix and match OSes with ease these days, using anything and everything that is available to me, be it SSH, X11, RDP, and all possible matches in between. I am therefore reminded of the screenshot I took in January, exhibiting me possibly having a bit too much fun with RDP over SSH forwarding, along with VNC over SSH, and other bits of remote connection bliss. Lately, I've been reaping the benefits of the proper X11 client for Windows that is part of Cygwin, and working off a new Linux box @ work using my XP workstation. I cannot begin to say how great this is (makes a lot of things work better), nor will I try, lest I bore anyone more than I already have.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2004 04:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully you have quality KVM there. I have always had issues with KVM's and Red Hat.

I am considering using one again. I switched distro's(Ubuntu Linux) and have just about fallen in love with it.

I have taken the big plunge recently. I moved my XP box to the side and put my Linux box in front at work. I have been able to get everything to work in our domain and got our network (AD Server2K3) to play nice with my Ubuntu system.

I got away from Fedora after Core 2. I had too many issues to get it running right. Half the stuff I installed had to be updated or repaired to even work. And it became too bleeding edge for my tastes. I wanted some reliability, fsck the "newness" factor.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted October 03, 2004 05:38      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a Linux Larva and I installed what came with my newbie Linux books called: Linux For Non-Geeks from Nostarch Press. The KVM that I have is an IOGEAR. It is an all in one with cables connected to it and you use keyboard commands to switch boxes. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-107-407&depa=0

This is what I have for a KVM. So far I have had no problems and all works well. I am enjoying being able to switch OS'es with out a boot loader and not having to use them one at a time...boot into WinXP..shut down and boot into Linux. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Wrote a song bout it, like to hear it....here it go

Posts: 47 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2004 06:47      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Lately, I've been reaping the benefits of the proper X11 client for Windows that is part of Cygwin, and working off a new Linux box @ work using my XP workstation.

This is exactly what I do at work! I have a shortcut pinned to my XP Start menu which fires up Cygwin's X server for the Linux box (which runs MRTG to watch the routers & switches, and Nagios to keep an eye on all the Windows boxes).
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanoxt R'rilander
Alpha Geek
Member # 890

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 16, 2004 19:39      Profile for Xanoxt R'rilander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, somewhen in May I finaly gave up on using Windows, after finding out that I am somewhat hardware incompatible with it (and Im writing this from work, sitting at an WinXP box).

Well, the thing is I had two upgrades in a short time, Windows died irrevocably (I tried, beleive me) on both of them, and after the second I just bought and installed Slackware 9.1 and I was happy ever since. [Smile]

As for gaming, it either runs under Dosbox/Dosemu, MAME, Wine, is a MU* or I am not all that interested in playing it. [Smile]

Of course, if I was even geekier I would post this via lynx from homebox over ssh. But nope, just Firefox. :>

And for added perversion factor, I currently have a tripple booting machine at home. It runs Gentoo, Slackware 10 or OpenBSD. [Smile] Gentoo's main though.

--------------------
quote:
"Who like KOF official license comic in high quality vegetarian is absolutely will not be miss!"
Ah, joys of Engrish...

Posts: 319 | From: Moscow, Russia, Earth | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tandoc
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3004

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2004 01:04      Profile for Tandoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
psssh.

2 monitors, 1 box, 1 os [Big Grin]

3 french hens, 2 turtle doves and partridge in a pear tree....

[/useless]

--------------------
tandoc @ gmail
NINJ4 - #oz @ irc.cyberarmy.net

Posts: 15 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2004 08:36      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As per spiderman's suggestions, I'm now trying to use Synergy. It's software to share mouse and keyboard over multiple computers. You tell it where physically your monitors are laid out, and you can move your mouse across them all, as if they were all connected to one machine (but of course, they are all on different machines). It seems to hiccup if the server machine is a mac with dual monitors, but other than that, its perfect!
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2004 06:10      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah. I say 20 computers, 4 or 5 monitors, and lots of keyboards randomly sitting around ready to be plugged into any of them. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2004 08:39      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only need one box... as long as it's alive and legal. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2004 08:57      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
I only need one box... as long as it's alive and legal. [Smile]

Alive? Your raising your standards now? [Big Grin]

VNC is alright, XWin32 or Cygwin is much prefered when using X11 through windows. At least to VNC. With windows there aren't many solutions to get windows on X11.

I have a system with two hard drives that I can dual boot, but for anything that works with WINE, I use wine. I'm quite suprised how well WINE works.

Messner uses a KVM switch and it's sweet... But then we don't exactly want 22 monitors in our little closet.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture