homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Gateway

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gateway
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2004 05:51      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was feeling a little down last night. I was looking at some of the latest games and then looking at the system requierments and saw that my old Gateway computer just wasnt cutting it. [Frown] For the last 5 years (5 Years this month) it's been my primary desktop. I originaly got it and had it special ordered to have every thing I wanted. At the time it was top of the line, Best of the best computers. It was a Performance 500 PIII 500Mhz (Benchmarked at 497Mhz) 128MB Ram 13GB HD 16MB Video. I since have added 128MB Ram (For a total of 256) 40Gb HD. A new burner (It originaly came with one but I had a 3 year old child at the time and he stuck a 3.5" floppy in there) And now I realize that it's destined for the closet just like the other old computers. But it did serve me well and I think I may still have a place for it someplace but I will have to put it out to pasture. I could upgrade it for the price of a new computer (I would need a new main board/Ram/CPU) And would have to go all out for it just because it's been with me for so long. It's just sad to see something you have used so much and spent so much time with has gone obsolete. [cry baby]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 10 posted September 28, 2004 12:13      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you got 5 years out of a gateway

that's great for any brand-name pc these days

typically, 3 years is a closer reality

you got your money's worth out of it, now it's time to build your own

64bit, pciexpress, sata - the works [Smile]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2004 12:57      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really do want to get the new AMD 64. Well not so new any more. I can use the same case and power supply and just call it an upgrade and still call it my gateway. [Big Grin] then it's not really gone (I know I would just be humoring myself once the Mainboard/Ram/CPU are replaced the only things original will be the case and the power supply and that might even have to go because not even the OS or any of the original software are there)

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2004 14:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A faithful old computer needn't be sent to the knackers yard when you buy a new one, it can be put out to pasture for a dignified semi-retirement.

My old Gateway p2-233 is now in the kitchen, running games (very basic ones - eg Bananas in Pyjamas) for my young daughters and also serving as an mp3 juke-box.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2004 17:10      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fastest computer is a AMD Duron 1.2GHz. It's my workstation/gaming computer.

Then after that comes in a dual p3-500.

Beyond that, they get really slow.. k6-2/500s and the like. they're gateways, a windows xp computer (yes on a k6-2/500), mp3 servers, apache servers, etc.

Linux can make slow boxes do lots of fun stuff. [Razz]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2004 22:49      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it comes to old computers, follow Jerry Pournelle's advice: "Don't throw it away, network it."

My wife originally had a Gateway...Pentium II/350, DVD-ROM, Zip drive, all the bells and whistles she could want. She's now upgraded to a kickass Toshiba Pent-4 notebook, but I keep her old machine around on cold standby, just in case something happens to the Toshiba and I have to spend a few days rebuilding its OS or something. (She's such a huge Internet addict now that she can't bear to be without her E-mail, Web browser, and IMs for any length of time.)

We also have another old Pentium II that is currently doing its duty as network gateway, firewall, NAT, and file/MP3 server. I also put a Web server on it for an "intranet" of sorts.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted September 29, 2004 05:45      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work on a college campus in a computer lab. The college has nothing but Gateway PC's in it....other than the few Macs for the graphics classes. The lab that I work in has 70 Gateway P2 350"s with 128 MB RAM, 6GB HDD, 17 inch CRT's, and WinXP Pro.....yes Win XP will run on a P2 350. We have had the monitors crap out and I have replaced several floppy drives but toer than that we have had not problems with them. There were bought new by the college in 1998. They will be replaced soon with new Gateways....our turn is coming up for an upgrade, so we shall see. LOL Talk around this college of a Mac or Linux will cause people to stare at you like a Radio Shack salesman when you ask him a question. It is sad but the only Macs on campus are for graphics classes and it is the same for Linux. I see some funny things up here in this lab like students trying to burn a CD...save their paper to a CDR but never notice the fact that the computers only have a cd-rom drive. Yes the instructors in these MS Office classes and English classes still have the students saving to a floppy disk. [Smile] The funniest thing I have seen so far is a student who came in with a USB thumb drive (W00T) and even though we have USB extension cables sitting on top of the computers...they tried to place it sideways into the floppy drive and then once it fell in they could not get the computer to read their paper. Needless to say I had to take the floppy out and apart to get the USB drive out of it. Thus the point of part of this story....basic computer classes should be a required first semester class for all students unless they can test out of it proving they have a clue as to what they are doing. [Smile] OK, back to the Gateway computers. [Smile] I would rather build my own but in this lab we have had no major problems with them. [Big Grin]
Posts: 47 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 15:54      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
I really do want to get the new AMD 64. Well not so new any more. I can use the same case and power supply and just call it an upgrade and still call it my gateway. [Big Grin]

I wouldn't recommend keeping the Power Supply, I've had some nasty experiences with power supplies going the way of the dodo...or more accurately, the way of the Master Control Program. [Wink]

However, with regard to elder cases, my dear friend Coffeegeek (a fomer regular) made a project out of modding an old Gateway case from the 1996 era, and the resulting computer, Chimera, is incredible. If he shows up again (as he may), I'll have him post the pictures, it's really quite impressive.

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 19:59      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Beyond that, they get really slow.. k6-2/500s and the like.

A K6-2/500 is really slow?! My "main system" is a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet with a PPC G3 @ 233 with no L2 cache.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2004 06:23      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My oldest still-in-one-piece-and-ready-to-boot computer is a K6-2/333. The K6-2 is not a bad CPU for general use like web surfing, word processing and so on. It lacks floating-point performance, though -- even compared to a same-era Pentium II or Celeron, the K6-2 will hold its own on integer operations, but falls way behind on floating point.

So it's not very good for image processing and other multimedia applications, or high-end gaming. (Not that most people would attempt such a thing on such an old machine today, unless they had no other choice.)

The Athlon is so much better than the K6 series of processors... just amazing. And the AMD64 (Opteron) continues this trend of excellence. I'm a huge AMD fan.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
knightwhosaysNI
Geek
Member # 2079

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2004 06:46      Profile for knightwhosaysNI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or you could read about the peecee I builted. *sniff* no one reads my threads! [cry baby]
Posts: 176 | From: forest with trees | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2004 06:48      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a Gateway 486 DX2/66Mhz as one of my firewalls. It's almost 11 years old and works like a champ. I don't remember if I've had to replace the power supply.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2004 06:56      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of the AMD64 I want to get one and i know it runs the 32 bit OS's but I want a 64bit. So I did some googling and found this intresting artical about MS's new 64bit and SuSe's new 64bit. The SuSe one is available now (9.1 pro) and the MS one will be available ..... well you know the rutine. But you can right now get the Beta for the 64 and that is what they did these tests on. But anyway check it out Here

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture