homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I got a new job

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I got a new job
SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted September 27, 2004 05:44      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK you may remember from another thread that I was asking about The Geek Squad that is inside of Best Buy. Well Friday I went for my final interview and was offered the job right there on the spot. It is only part time but hey it is at least a start. I was hired as a tech so I will be doing things like virus removal, adding a stick of memory, adding a dvd drive,installing software, and home networking. We all have to start somewhere and this is the first chance I have had at a job like this. I will give it a shot and see what happens. The job does not start setup and training until 13/30...the building is still being built. doors open to public on 11/19, so I will have training time for a couple of weeks. I am excited about this job. Yes it is part time and yes it is entry level, but it is a start. [Smile] They start me @ $10/hr moving to $10.40 after 30 days. I thought you guys might wanna know. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Wrote a song bout it, like to hear it....here it go

Posts: 47 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 06:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the new job!

I'm assuming you mean you start on 10/30 and not 13/30, since, unless in Virginia you have different months than us, and there's a 13th month. [Smile]

And yea, my first tech job paid $8/hr CAD, so at $10 USD, you're doing quite well. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted September 27, 2004 06:38      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That does raise a ??? from me...drunkennewfiemidget, what was your first tech job, what did you learn from it, and what are you doing now...what did the tech job lead you into? Thanks for the help. [Razz]

--------------------
Wrote a song bout it, like to hear it....here it go

Posts: 47 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 08:01      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first tech job was a fixer-upper repair person.

I was 13 or 14 at the time. I was considered a kid genius. Now I'm just an average schmoe. [Big Grin]

Now I'm a programmer. I haven't delved into hardware as much as I'd have liked to in recent months, but I can still fix 'em when need be.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 08:30      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first (two) jobs were both $10/hr jobs. When I was 15 (and since) doing IT support around the neighborhood (and yes, I charged for every moment AdAware and Spybot S&D were running ;-) ), then when I was 17, web design and IT support for a small (8 person) local business: http://www.hpn.com (I didn't create that ugly site, I worked on client sites).

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 08:49      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beauty!

The best part of a job like that is job can do stuff to other peoples machine you'd never try on your own.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 13:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Congrats on the new job!

I'm assuming you mean you start on 10/30 and not 13/30, since, unless in Virginia you have different months than us, and there's a 13th month. [Smile]

And yea, my first tech job paid $8/hr CAD, so at $10 USD, you're doing quite well. [Big Grin]

In Australia we have 13 months, so that would be the 30th of Caligulary.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 10:26      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I was 13 or 14 at the time. I was considered a kid genius. Now I'm just an average schmoe. [Big Grin]

*sigh*

Yes, I understand all too well. I too was considered a kid genious. At age 11 I understood simple concepts such as hooking up (or God-fobid, programming!) a VCR (the out goes to the IN! imagine that) that neither my teachers nor parents could seem to comprehend. I also understood the simple concept that wires on computers often had little symbols on them showing you where to plug them in. My parents and teachers didn't seem to grasp this either. [Roll Eyes]

So, I guess maybe that's why I went into the tech field, because I was good at it. It's not because I find the work particularly enjoyable, the part I enjoied was helping people and explaining complex ideas (i.e. what was wrong with it?) in simple English. It was fun when I was just feelancing it, helping out random old ladies with their questions, problems, virii, and PEBCAK errors, but now I'm stuck in a job fixing computers for companies (where the real money is) and I never get that feeling of individual help anymore. [Frown]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture