homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Old computers (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Old computers
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 06:38      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was feeling nostalgic today and was thinking about my first computer. It was a Vendex with the headstart OS. Here are some specs

8Mhz 8088XT
512k Ram
(2) 5.25" Floppy drives
CGA card
Dos 3.2
No HD (I put one in it was 160Mb and had to be partioned into 40Mb chunks)
I also added a 3.5" Floppy drive

I tought myself how to program Basic on it and learnd how to use DOS. Does anyone else remember their first?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 08:19      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st computer I used was a Tandy TRS-80 at an after school computer class in the late 70s

1st one my family bought for me was a Commodore 64. We had the optional monitor (instead of hooking ut up to a TV), modem, tape drive and dot matrix printer.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 09:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bibo's saying about the tape drive and optional monitor reminded me about a book I used to like to read when I was in elementary school. Does anyone remember that book from way-back-when that took a girl inside what I think was a Commodore? Somehow she got sucked inside the screen and learned about how the computer works--RAM, ROM, and something with bobsledders as bits, maybe? She had to carry some information through the pipeline, if I remember correctly. A parrot figured in there too? I really liked that book 'cause it had lots of great pictures, intriguing storyline, and bright colors. I'd like to find the book again (for nostalgia's sake).
Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 09:39      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds quite a bit like TRON, perhaps Commodore adapted the TRON story into a kids instruction book for the C64?
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 10:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first computer was the Commodore 64. (Remember, I'm only 21.)

It was MINE. ALL MINE. I was so proud of it. It cost me $100. It's where I got my start on geekiness.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 10:06      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First computer I used was a DigiComp . The first *electronic* computer I owned was an original IBM PC, with a single-sided floppy. Of course, I hot-rodded it to add a CP/M card and a 10M external disk.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Livebytheboard
Newbie Larva
Member # 2956

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 10:16      Profile for Livebytheboard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first computer i used was a mac(can't remeber what kind:( dodges shoe somebody threw)
The first real pc i had was a gateway 50mhz/486/150meg HD/16meg of Ram/2meg of video ram/two 5.25 floppy drives, and a 2.5 floppy. I later upgraded to 100mhz/
pentium cpu/2x cd drive

Posts: 6 | From: home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 12:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Livebytheboard:

The first real pc i had was a gateway 50mhz/486/150meg HD/16meg of Ram/2meg of video ram/two 5.25 floppy drives, and a 2.5 floppy. I later upgraded to 100mhz/
pentium cpu/2x cd drive

OMG that's a MACHINE [Big Grin]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 14:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First computer I owner was built from a kit.

It was a Big Board II, 2 Mhz Z80, 64K RAM, dual double sided 8" floppy drives (a total of 1000 k) and 80x25 monochrome text.

This was a power system, most computers you could buy at the time had 32 or 48K of RAM, and a single disk drive if you were lucky.

I got a copy of Turbo Pascal for it, and it flew ! Seriously, the old Turbo Pascal was a technological wonder, compiler, run-time library and pretty reasonable IDE all fitted in 30-something K.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 16:08      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea of what the first computer I used was or what spec it was, it might have been a BBC micro, but I might be wrong, I was 1 and a half.

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 4 posted September 24, 2004 17:52      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
define computer?

mine was a MERLIN [Smile]

(example linked)

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 19:15      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
define computer?

mine was a MERLIN [Smile]

(example linked)

Ok that may have been my 1st too, that or the Atari Touch Me
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 20:45      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
Ok that may have been my 1st too, that or the Atari Touch Me

nope, doesn't count - you can only play pre-programmed games

you can't add in anything of your own

[Wink]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 21:10      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ct: you can't program a MERLIN either, unless you count the music maker doodad (game #2) as "programming." I have a working MERLIN, but I havn't played with it in years. Eats batteries like a mofo and never seemed to work quite right on the power brick.

Anyway, my first computer was a Macintosh II, 256 Color RGB NuBus video card, 16MHz (well... 15.667 really) 68020, no PMMU upgrade, 40MB Hard Drive, 2MB RAM, and 800K floppy. Ran system 6.0.8, back when you could still get Mac OSes for free.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 21:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first computer was an XT, and I miss it dearly.
</something>

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 22:50      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
ct: you can't program a MERLIN either, unless you count the music maker doodad (game #2) as "programming." I have a working MERLIN, but I havn't played with it in years. Eats batteries like a mofo and never seemed to work quite right on the power brick.

absolutley i do

made my own tunes [Smile]

it sure did eat AA batteries though - 8 of them at a time and 2 packs a week
dad stopped buying batteries for me cuz i used it so much [ohwell]

i can't remember using the powerbrick with it

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2004 03:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh Yes-------Mine was a TI 99/4A with an expansion box. I had a an interface card(two rs232 and a Parallel port) Three 5.25 Floppy drives, a 32K memory expansion card to give it 48k total and a Ram disk card plus a speach syn, and of course joysticks. I used the modulator to couple it to a 25 inch TV so can everybody say large screen.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2004 06:43      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first home computer was a Dick Smith VZ200, with the super l33t 16Kb RAM expansion module. Great for BASIC programming, and games.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2004 08:49      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first computer was a Tandy, 384 K memory with 2 floppy drives. Black and green monitor. Also had a daisy wheel printer. Bought it for my former wife's doctoral thesis -- the committe would accept no dot matrix drafts. Cost $2,200 in 1983. We ran shareware word processing and Quicken on it. Ran just fine all the way through 1994 for me, when a girlfriend (used to hard drives) didn't save her work to disk and insisted I get a new computer!

Also ran a Tandy 100 laptop for a while.

My best friend's family ran their Oil Delivery company's billing on an early Apple II -- I think that was back in the 70s.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted September 26, 2004 18:50      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry guys (rides face in shame)...I got into the game late and was nevcer interested in computers untill one was given to me. My first machine was a home made:

P166
16MB RAM
GB Samsung Hard drive, 3.5 floppy
24X cd-rom
2MB Jaton 58P video card
16bit sound card
17 inch Magitronic monitor
36.6 modem
Win95
Lexmark Color inkjet that held one ink cartridge at a time
[cry baby]

--------------------
Wrote a song bout it, like to hear it....here it go

Posts: 47 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2004 19:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whee - I've just discovered that *both* of my Macs are now seemingly dead -- so much for that experiment.

My newer Mac is a bit discheveled [Smile] .

Oh well, my laptop's hanging in there - I fear the time for me to buy some new computer(s) is nearing - my newest computer is about 4 years old.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 06:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SimpleMan:
Sorry guys (rides face in shame)...I got into the game late and was nevcer interested in computers untill one was given to me. My first machine was a home made:

P166
16MB RAM
GB Samsung Hard drive, 3.5 floppy
24X cd-rom
2MB Jaton 58P video card
16bit sound card
17 inch Magitronic monitor
36.6 modem
Win95
Lexmark Color inkjet that held one ink cartridge at a time
[cry baby]

Wow. That's like .. a friggen mainframe server compared to most of our originals. [Razz]
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 15:56      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting coincidence this. snopes has this as an urban myth as reported on fark as a photoshop competition that has infected the memepool.

It's a funny old world. Just remember kids- if you read it on the internet, it's probably a lie.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 18:15      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Interesting coincidence this. snopes has this as an urban myth as reported on fark as a photoshop competition that has infected the memepool.

It's a funny old world. Just remember kids- if you read it on the internet, it's probably a lie.

If there's one thing that fark has taught me, I'll never blindly trust the authenticity of a digital photograph again.
Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 18:49      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't they also teach you about  - ?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture