homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The problem with Academic Internet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The problem with Academic Internet
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 16:59      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lo again, all. I've recently moved into the dorms at the University of Alaska, Faiak, and have been enjoying the massive bandwidth.

That is, when the internet isn't down.

I've found very few websites that still work when the internet is 'down' (IPs for websites can still be viewed, just not reached). Livejournal is one (go figure), another is (thankfully) one of my proxy lists, and a third is one proxy that works very intermittently. But it works. And it's how I'm posting here.

Ever had a problem like that?

That's it, thought I'd just let everyone know I'm back-ish.

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 19:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean, "when DNS is down."

Another pedantic point - the Internet is not down (unless you mean it in the ghetto-esque term [Wink] ), your access to the Internet is down.

At work, we've got more than a pretty good connection, and even with our old, slower, ISP, we never had significant reliabilty issues. Perhaps the networking kit can't deal too well without getting some darkness at night [evil] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 22:20      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

The funny part is, our DNS server is up, alive, and giving us our IPs during the entire intermittence. Too bizarre.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 23:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oz, the Wizard of:
quote:

The funny part is, our DNS server is up, alive, and giving us our IPs during the entire intermittence. Too bizarre.
No...that's the DHCP server. The DNS server resolves domain names to IP addresses. These services are not necessarily running off the same box, and even if they are, one can work while the other doesn't. It could be that the DNS server up the line that your DNS servers query is down for periods of time.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2004 13:27      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I have found to be helpful is to add a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) DNS server manually. I use my ISP (or in your case - your school) supplied server as my primary server, but if that one is out of commission then the TCP/IP stack will automaitcally try the next one in the list. By having a server run by another ISP you can get past problems where your ISP has DNS problems that affect both of their servers.

As an aside - People who run DNS servers (which are often redundant) should NOT do updates to both of them at the same time. Even the seemly common practice of having both of the tied to the same backend database should be avoided. A human should do the conversion on the first one and then wait a while (an hour or more please) and then roll the changes to the second. That would reduce or remove this kind of problem. I don't even do the help desk thing except for friends and family once in a while and a down DNS server seems to be the normal cause of "the Internet is down" complaint. Keeping a DNS server going isn't that hard - or else I'm missing something.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2004 13:44      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No...that's the DHCP server. The DNS server resolves domain names to IP addresses. These services are not necessarily running off the same box, and even if they are, one can work while the other doesn't. It could be that the DNS server up the line that your DNS servers query is down for periods of time.

Thankee for the clarification...I should know that, but I've been out of the Cisco lab for waaaay too long. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
One thing I have found to be helpful is to add a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) DNS server manually. I use my ISP (or in your case - your school) supplied server as my primary server, but if that one is out of commission then the TCP/IP stack will automaitcally try the next one in the list. By having a server run by another ISP you can get past problems where your ISP has DNS problems that affect both of their servers.

Danka for the tip, Doco. I'll have to see what I can find...the main problem is that we're pretty effectively contained inside the school network. My temporary solution of a proxy will work for right now, anyway.

--------------------

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2004 16:53      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A proxy will work, so would using off-site DNSs. For the cluster we typically use 4, 2 of which are the universty servers 2 are (trusted) third parties.
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2004 18:13      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to had it to you dman......you are showing amazing restraint here......I remember a time when you'd go off the hook if someone confused DNS and DHCP....and rightly so.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2004 18:50      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of...
OOOOPS! YOU BROKE IT!

Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2004 21:39      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I still feel like such a cretin for screwing up the difference between DNS and DHCP... *cuffs self around the head a bit*

Love Homestar Runner.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture