homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Whoo! Back to school!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whoo! Back to school!!
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted September 05, 2004 12:59      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to school for me tomorrow...

Yeah, I'm totally psyched. I have lots of shiny new pens and pencils (which I'll lose asap [Smile] ) and I'm looking forward to seeing my friends again.

Shame that I have to see the girl that is the sister of the boyfriend who I left. Ooky sentences... [crazy] Still, never mind - onto a new phase of life and all that stuff [Smile]

Any advice for the soon to be seventeen-year-old? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 13:24      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spoongirl:

Life's a journey, don't spend too much time looking in the rear view mirror
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 13:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:

Quite true. While thinking too much about some crap that happened, and how it could affect things, someone once said, "What's done is done." Really, there's no point in thinking much about what "could have been" - it can't be, so deal with the consequences, and move on.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 13:44      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

What if someone's following you? [Eek!]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 13:58      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
quote:

Then you should've had burritos for lunch.

edit: Whoo 200 postseses. *grabs a cookie from the back... with sprinkles*

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 14:20      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
quote:

<sings>
It's not your money they're after boy, it's you
</sings>

Seriously, dwelling on the past has blighted my life. I'm not advocating an anarchic attitude, but Dman is spot on. What's done is done.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 03:14      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Amen to that. Be proactive, get out there and do what you want to do, and bask in the freedom of singleness, bearing in mind that its often only seems greener on the other side.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 10:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you were an American, I'd say this: Last year, they decided you were responsible enouigh to drive a ton of metal downa crowded road at high speeds so long as you wear your safety belt. Next year, you will responsible enough to join the military, enter into legal contracts, smoke tobacco, look at pr0n and buy lottery tickets. In four years, you will be responsible enough to drink alcohol. But this year....this year you're responsible enough to see an R-rated movie. But you aren't an American, and since I don['t know what the age limits are in Britain, most of that may or may not apply to you.

So I'm just going to hand off a lesson I learned when I was 17: You are mortal. "It" can happen to you. But you don't have to act like it. [Wink]

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 11:38      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, if you were an American living in the south, you would've started school on August 9th =P

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 11:42      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Internet means you never need permission to see an R-rated movie again.

Oh, and public libraries may not "card" you either. Depends on the library. (Plus, DVDs from the library are usually higher quality than what you'll find on the 'net.)

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted September 06, 2004 16:12      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
On the other hand, hind sight is 20/20. Don't forget to learn from your mistakes. I know I do.

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 07, 2004 02:59      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
  • Get a rucksack and don't be afraid to wear it on both shoulders. Leave the messenger bags for the hipsters with bad posture.
  • Use free periods wisely. That is, spend half of them mindlessly surfing the net or talking about that cow in your English class; spend the other half actually working, and then you'll have time to go to that Drum n' Bass night that your friends are all raving about.
  • Don't take General Studies.
  • Be nice to the librarians. Trust me, it will come in handy one day. I've no doubt that if I ever needed to cross the border by cover of darkness, my old school librarians would come to my aid.
  • Remember that A-Levels tend to be the hardest it's gonna get, so if it gets too much, just look forward to University.
  • Always, always wear sensible shoes.

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 03:32      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

If I may permit myself to be serious for once [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

I have always regretted not studying in school and not pursuing what I really wanted to do (theatre) instead of going for, what I thought, was a sensible career.
Education is highly important and you should go as far as possible with it, but make sure it is in what you want to do.

This from a soon to be 40 year old (aaargh!) [Eek!] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 06:21      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice is simple: do your own thing. Do not try to fit in. The people you change yourself to fit in with will backstab you in an instant. The people you have to change for aren't the kind of people you want as a friend.

School might not be as enjoyable for you as it is for them, but the day after school finishes, and you realise that the few friends you made in school are still great friends, and the "popular" kids are all still backstabbing eachother and saying stuff about eachother behind backs, you'll realise you were better off.

Besides, people generally have a lot more respect for those who do their own thing.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 07, 2004 08:44      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wooh! I love my school, I love my school! All the teachers are suddenly really nice, and the people that I don't like didn't manage to get the grades to get in! [Big Grin]

quote:
But you aren't an American, and since I don['t know what the age limits are in Britain, most of that may or may not apply to you
Hehehe. Ah, Xanthine. [Razz] Doesn't much apply anyways! I'll never learn to drive (yay public transport), I've been drinking/vaguely smoking for three years and watching 18 movies for about six. [Big Grin]

quote:
Get a rucksack and don't be afraid to wear it on both shoulders. Leave the messenger bags for the hipsters with bad posture.
Use free periods wisely. That is, spend half of them mindlessly surfing the net or talking about that cow in your English class; spend the other half actually working, and then you'll have time to go to that Drum n' Bass night that your friends are all raving about.
Don't take General Studies.
Be nice to the librarians. Trust me, it will come in handy one day. I've no doubt that if I ever needed to cross the border by cover of darkness, my old school librarians would come to my aid.
Remember that A-Levels tend to be the hardest it's gonna get, so if it gets too much, just look forward to University.
Always, always wear sensible shoes

Skylar, this made me laugh because it's complately me already [Big Grin] And newfie? I'm 16, I'm not stupid! [Razz] I am myself (that's how I've made so many enemies [Razz] ) and I really like school/my group of friends because of it [Smile]

--------------------

dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 09:07      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking forward to the start of my 2nd year at uni, I agree with Skylar though I found A Level Maths much harder than the discrete maths and calculus which I did last year.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 11:51      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo! I am back at school also.

Words of advice... Ummm...

Does that include fortune quotes relating to Nasrudin?

Satellite Safety Tip #14:
If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.

On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape key.

People often find it easier to be a result of the past than a cause of the future.

Beware of monkeys bearing large pointy sticks.

What subjects are you taking? I'm signed up for Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. [Smile] I just found out that Further Maths is the name they give to the box which says 'I want to do my Maths A level in one year instead of two.' Urk!

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2004 07:57      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are effing crazed!! [Razz] Maths and Further Maths!!??

I'm doing Psychology, English Lit, Religious Studies, Political History and Art (wanted to do Drama instead but ho hum)

Our option blocks sucked ass, did you have option blocks or not?

--------------------

dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2004 08:35      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did Maths, Physics, Computing and Geology at AS. Then dropped the Physics at A2. Maths is okay as long as you do EVERY piece of work set.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2004 08:24      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear. I've changed my options and now I'm doing five AS levels. Am I crazy?

I'm now doing Psychology, Religious Studies, English Language, Drama Studies and Political History.

eep. [Eek!]

--------------------

FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2004 08:45      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I am back at university... for the 5th year. So here are my tips on living a wonderfull year.

1) Eat sensibly - No sense over/under stuffing yourself
2) Get physical - I mean in the exercise sense. I feel much better since I started playing Ultimate Disc 3 times a week.
3) Find a cathedral and a practicing choir, tip your head back, and relax, ignore the guy handing stuff out.
4) Work really hard and play even harder
5) Do not push more than one jelly bean into each ear.

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
stimpy
Newbie Larva
Member # 2356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2004 15:21      Profile for stimpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wear sunscreen.
Posts: 5 | From: Jackson, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture