homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Do you like this building?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you like this building?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 20, 2004 00:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

At first I hated it, now I am starting to like it. [Cool]

more picts here.

Construction pictures...
http://www.ocad.on.ca/watchusbuild/index.html

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 20, 2004 05:09      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. It's better than a lot of the bland boxes that have been put up. Le Corbusier's and Mies van der Rohe's influence has been waning, thank goodness.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 05:19      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's kinda cool. I don't think there's anything wrong with 'way-out-there' architecture, considering that most buildings in modern cities are tragically bland. There's been a gust of radical doo-dahs appearing in London these past few years (the Gherkin, the Millenium Bridge, etc) - and I think they generally improve the appearance of the place - which is a little surprising as London, as you can imagine, is choc-full of classical-ish stuff and you'd think that the contrast would look gruesome.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 07:29      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I applaud people for creating buildings that are not just another box - all I can think of is "yuck" when I see this one.

Then again - I am very much a traditionalist. One of these days (read in about 20 years) I'll build my own house - I just can't decide if I want it to be a more modern log home created from timber on that site (I have the site and it has the timber) or a Victorian/Queen Anne style house.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 07:34      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a fan of modern architecture, that building looks good amongst the more traditional buildings. They have tried something similar here in Manchester which looks good as you have modern glass buildings such as Urbis next to buildings which are over 100 years old.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 08:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally think it's an eyesore.

I find I feel the same about most modern architecture. There is some nice stuff out there, but the vast majority of it looks so bloody obscure and out there that it looks awful.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
punkpixie1984
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 11:17      Profile for punkpixie1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid I don't like it at all.

Perhaps if it were smaller, and billed as a piece of modern art, with some long-winded tale about why this block is here, and why this block is blue-black, and the rest are red-black then I might like it. [Smile]

I just love old buildings. The architecture of days long since past is a particular interest of mine, and I'm not so keen on seeing (begging your pardon) monstrosities such as this polluting the airscape. [blush]

--------------------
Weebles wobble but they don't fall down? Why, sir, I believe if you take a blowtorch to them you can melt them over. Proof that your product is faulty...

Posts: 16 | From: Merrie olde England | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 20, 2004 11:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think in the original design it was going to be pink!
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 11:48      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That building is fantastic, as long as as it is maintained in the future - I can see it deteriorating really badly if it is neglected. It looks like the supports for the overhang wouldn't be strong enough to hold it up. I hope the civil engineers involved were competent.

It would be good to see more modern buildings like that in Britain, but most of the planning officers are too conservative. It would also mean having to knock down old buildings to make way for them but the British seem to have a strange attachment to their ropey old buildings so it would never happen.

Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
punkpixie1984
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 15:10      Profile for punkpixie1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange attachment?
[Eek!]

Ooh, don't start ranting about heritage and conserving history. </note to self> [Smile]

Modern office buildings, I agree, are quite nasty. And to replace them with black and white checked giant sugar cube lumps of buildings is perfectly acceptable. But to tear down lovely old buildings for... for that! [weep]

Sigh. I shouldn't be talking about the good old days, I'm only 19... [Smile]

--------------------
Weebles wobble but they don't fall down? Why, sir, I believe if you take a blowtorch to them you can melt them over. Proof that your product is faulty...

Posts: 16 | From: Merrie olde England | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 15:21      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, isn't that where Nitro went to school?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 17:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it, but I'm not sure I'd like to walk under it on a windy winters day. When Art and Physics clash, Physics usually wins.

/me also has visions of icicles falling from that overhang, it's a long way down......

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 06:37      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soo... Are there large gas pumps under that thing? Looks like a Chevron station on steroids. Blegh!

I don't hate modern buildings but I look at that and I can't see any "class" or "substance" just a loud eyesore. Give me a turn of the century Victorian.

My question is who the hell though of that and who the hell though it looked good?

On a good note though, at least when the pigeons perch they will be doing their business over the street. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 14:59      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ick. The design is bad enough, as possibly a hazard as others have pointed out, but that's tolerable. The coloration is just irredeemable.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 15:19      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it.

I like old buildings too. It should not be an either/or situation. That new art college sits well with the red brick terrace for me.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2004 12:15      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I agree with whomever said they didn't want to walk under the silver cube-ish thing on a windy day. The building is beautiful without that monstrosity on top. Is it even functional? Where are the fire escapes?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2004 13:04      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing that the black tower bit on the right hand side is the main access point with lifts (elevators) and stair cases, and the wide rectangular red section sloping down on the left hand side is an additional stair case to be used as a fire escape. Of course being a modern building, the main structure will be built from fire resistant materials, it will contain high-rated fire doors and could quite possibly have a sprinkler system, so it would be pretty safe in the event of a fire. The greatest risk would come from the older buildings round about catching fire and spreading. Another good reason for demolishing old buildings and replacing them with new.
Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2004 18:22      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm typically a fan of thinking out side of the box, I liked the pink house that was down the block from where I lived as a child... This however is just a bit too much. What I dislike is that older buildings were built beautifully, and now their being replaced with cookie-cutter glass and steal skyscrapers. I think a neo-classical revolution in arcitcture would be really cool... mixing the new and the old. Suppose that is too much ask, and would cost too much these days.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2004 20:49      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not really. Michael Graves makes a living doing it. [Smile]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 13:13      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it, but only with the white and black Mini parked in front [Smile]
I think the trick with ultra modern buildings like this is that they only work if their numbers are small enough so they provide visual contrast to the rest of the urban landscape and don't dominate it.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 13:55      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's great for people like me who can't remember street names.

"Meet me at George Street."
"Where?"
"You know that confused levitating chessboard downtown?"
"Oh- there!"

Actually I tend to navigate by pubs- "Turn left by the old bell and follow the road until you meet the road that the Crags is on, then follow that until you end up by the Pleasance. If you get to the Holyrood tavern, you've gone too far."

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 14:11      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Actually I tend to navigate by pubs- "Turn left by the old bell and follow the road until you meet the road that the Crags is on, then follow that until you end up by the Pleasance. If you get to the Holyrood tavern, you've gone too far."

I once heard a similar story to this but based on if you ask a fat bloke directions... left at McDonalds, keep going past dunkin donuts...

Also, I didn't yet have my 2 cents worth about modern architecture....maybe later when I'm not feeling so tetchy.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted August 23, 2004 17:40      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garish, clashing colors, overgrown checkerboard pencil box that blocks out your view of the sky, what's not to like?

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2004 19:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
It's great for people like me who can't remember street names.

"Meet me at George Street."
"Where?"
"You know that confused levitating chessboard downtown?"
"Oh- there!"

Heh. We had a shopping centre here in Melbourne that had a protected building on the site they couldn't demolish, so they build a big conical class structure over the top of it to keep out the weather.

For years Melbournians would arrange to "Meet me under Madonnas tit".

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture