homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » A Whale of a Tail!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Whale of a Tail!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 11:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of weeks ago Nitrozac and I journeyed up to a place called Telegraph Cove, on northern Vancouver Island. We went to see the orcas that gather there during the summer. We were not dissapointed!

here's a shot of the cute little Telegraph Cove harbour..

-

and another of a section of the town, which sits mostly on stilts along the water. There was a really neat whale museum there too.

-

So we booked a whale watching tour, and away we went! What gorgeous scenery, and what a beautiful evening it was.

-

We had barely left the harbour when someone shouted "ORCAS!"

-

for the next 3 hours we were treated to numerous sightings, it was pretty amazing. Some of the fins are gigantic... seeing them move gracefully through the water was really jaw-dropping experience. At one point three orcas swam right towards the boat then dived under it. WHOA!

-

There were several baby ones, it was really adorable to see them splash and play with their moms. We even saw "Springer" the young lost orca that was found near Seattle in 2003 and moved back here to her family.
 -

-

If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend a trip up there, it was really really cool. And if you can't make it to Canada, there's a GREAT site that broadcasts live orca sighting, if you have broadband, check it out... Orca Live

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 11:54      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so cool!

I have always wanted to go whale watching.

All I have to do is get a spot on a boat out at Catalina during the migration. Just never have. [Frown]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 12:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweeeet! Speaking of eco tours....a buddy of mine runs Sunshine Coast Circle Tours out of Sechelt. I have been meaning to head down that way for a trip.

<end blatant plug>

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 16:01      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That place looks beautiful, and you got to see orcas. Wish we had places like that in the UK.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 20:30      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
those things are not as "cute" as they seem - one of them bit off BO Derek's Leg
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 21:19      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
those things are not as "cute" as they seem - one of them bit off BO Derek's Leg

But they're useful against enemy ships, though
</C&C geek>

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2004 07:25      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh. Thank you for sharing them!!!!
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2004 08:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Those are beautiful pictures, Snaggy! I've only been whale-watching once... off the Massachusetts coast during a family road trip through New England three summers ago. While we saw a few Meinke (sp?) and Grey whales, the most memorable part has to be me getting seasick. Not puking sick, thankfully. Just severe headache when we dropped anchor. And to think that I always read on the school bus and in the car without getting sick! [Frown]

Maybe here's as good a place as any to ask... What's the story of Snaggy and Nitrozac? Have you published your autobiographies? Other than running GC and going whale-watching, do you have connections? Snaggy's much more outspoken than Nitrozac, at least recently. Do you have a break-down of responsibilities/preferences on the site? Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. This inquiring mind wants to know. [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2004 09:08      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a strange whale page. Evidently they dragged this whale all over Britian on a lorry/truck.
Noah's Whale???

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2004 09:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Noah's Whale???

You mean Jonah's whale, right? 'Cause Noah built the ark and Moses led the Hebrew children out of Egypt. (Joshua led them into the Promised Land.)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2004 09:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Maybe here's as good a place as any to ask... What's the story of Snaggy and Nitrozac? Have you published your autobiographies?

This book will help answer some of your questions. [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2004 13:53      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooops, you are right Jonah. [blush]
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 06:07      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family lives in Newfoundland. Whenever we go there, we drive. We take the ferry across from North Sydney, NS to Port aux Basques, NL. During that trip, sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll get to see some whales. I have a few times. Many years ago though, I was pretty young.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 08:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly what you are really remembering is you family swimming across the Cabot Strait? [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 08:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Possibly what you are really remembering is you family swimming across the Cabot Strait? [Big Grin]

Y'know, judging by your general crabbiness and hatred towards others, I'd have figured you were a seasoned old man who'd just had enough of life and the stupid people you're surrounded by.

However, I've learned in the past few posts, by your personal insults and jabs at me, that you really must be a teenager, or at a point in your life where you WISH you were a teenager again.

I've done nothing to you, except maybe disagree with a point or two you made -- which is kind of what I thought the point of a message board was -- and you've started insulting me left, right, and centre, and hurling childish insults at me.

I think the best choice for me at this point is to begin ignoring you, as obviously, having a mature discussion with someone of your stature is futile.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 08:57      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hullo? I thought you were ignoring me?

Maybe you missed the [Big Grin] at the end of my post indicating it was a joke. Ironic how wife beating is funny to you, but a mental picture of your pasty white family swimming in the North Atlantic isn't.....I thought you knew no boundries when it came to humour? [Razz]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 09:02      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey - what is it - pick on a Newfie day? I fail to see what the guy's done wrong. [Confused] How's about we bury this one, huh?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2004 09:07      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. Thanks Spungo. But don't worry about it. It doesn't really bother me any. I can handle it. [Big Grin]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture