homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Best compliment ever (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best compliment ever
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 19:32      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other morning I received what I believe to be the best compliment I ever got. I was bringing my daughter into my wife's (medical) office to have something looked at, and one of the residents told my wife that "He looks like he doesn't have a care in the world".

And, you know, all things considered, life is pretty good. It may have taken me 44 years to figure out my persona, but, now that I've done that, I'm really sort of happy just being me

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 20:09      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How could they not notice that chinchilla hanging off your lip?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 23, 2004 05:26      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's awesome. Good for you....I think most people feel like they are lost or directionless. Nice to see someone who feels they are at peace with themselves!!!!!
Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 14:48      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a "daring" compliment and also a "you're like a boy scout" on monday.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 15:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
qf: Very cool! [Smile] [Big Grin] Being without a care in the world sounds quite enjoyable...*sigh*.

For me, it's often something small and random that I'll appreciate. Thinking about it a little, I think that a comment of someone else's - not intended as a compliment, per se - was something that I got a great deal of joy out of. Surely, 'tis quite stupid, but nonetheless, having a friend of a friend guess that I was 25 pleased me no end. This comes after years of people underestimating my age, so I guess I particularly liked it [Wink] . (I know this must be true if that comment still sits with me today [Razz] .)

Another comment that floats in the back of my head as funny is when someone I know used the phrase "you badass" about me. This is quite atypical, and really only applied because she found my shaving tactic to be a bit different from the norm, I guess - I shaved, and now, trim, with a dry blade, no cream. It's quick and efficient, and I guess I can tolerate it.

As I said, it's probably the little, random, unexpected stuff that actually sits well with me. Ergo, I recall that a good friend of mine called me "the most kickass programmer I know," but my self-deprecatory manner requires me not to acknowledge that - and truly, I know that there are much better programmers out there than I. So while I sort of recall that, it really doesn't mean terribly much to me (the thought with which it was said, though, I'll weigh higher).

Blah - sorry for the lengthy rant/spiel - it's been a long day, and I'm probably just letting it all out through the keys here...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2004 23:01      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best compliment I was ever given was someone screaming "You magnificent bastard!!!" at me while I was playing Dance Dance Revolution.

Granted, it had nothing to do with the fact I was playing DDR, but it was still pretty cool.

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 00:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine once told me I remind her of a hero in an action movie. Another friend has told me that I'm a machine...with a heart. I was glad to hear it. If I didn't have a heart I'd be wondering what that thumping thing in my chest was.

Back at the UR people would ask me what mountain I'd been climbing when I came back from breaks. I thought that was kinda cool. I also liked it when my PI at the UR told me I was the first undergrad he'd had that actually accomplished something during a summer internship, and then told my parents I was a "friggin' little lab rat" (the title "lab rat" had been granted a long time before by a jury of my peers, but it's kinda cool to know you stand out to the faculty too).

Dman, your shaving tactic is definitely badass.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 05:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the most meaningful compliment I have ever recieved was recently. Someone informed me that I was " good man".

There is a lot more to it. We have had sickness and stress in the family and I have moved over to the role of Mr. Mom on top of the rest of the things I do.

I don't know if I really deserved the compliment I got, since that is what a person should do in times like that. But it felt good to be acknowledged.

D-man - That is pretty tough. I know I couldn't get away with that. As it goes my razors rip more hair out than actually cut. Must be the Cherokee heritage.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 09:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:

I don't know if I really deserved the compliment I got, since that is what a person should do in times like that. But it felt good to be acknowledged.

Yeah, but what people should do and what they actually do are often very different things.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 11:20      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best compliment I've ever gotten was when Cap'n Vic implied that I was a woman. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 11:48      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best compliment I got was, "You g*dd*mn*d evil genius"
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 16:08      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
The best compliment I've ever gotten was when Cap'n Vic implied that I was a woman. [Roll Eyes]

.....and an ugly, three toed, bullet riddled, bisexual woman to boot [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 17:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been getting a lot of second-hand compliments recently.

We have a friend who's recently divorced, 2 kids, ex husband is violently abusive, emotionally manipulative, and completely neglectful of his kids. In short, he's a waste of skin.

I keep hearing from Mrs Druid of all the nice things this friend has said about me, "Druids such a good dad, he really enjoys spending time with his kids" etc etc. The really sad thing is, the things I'm getting praised for are things that would just come naturally to any father worthy of the name.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 17:31      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:

.....and an ugly, three toed, bullet riddled, bisexual woman to boot [Big Grin]
Get it right. I have 1 toe. Uno.

Maybe not bullet riddled, but I do have a huge scar on my heel.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 18:26      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'member this?

quote:
Posted by Taco December 14, 2003 15:52
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bah... I know people understand my pain... if they didnt why the hell would I ask them about it? Hmm... w/e

What I /don't/ think you understand is how helluva bad of a year I have had... and I will not go in to details, but this year has been a lot worse than alot of you know.... anyway... I tryed not to name anyone specific in this post.

Here is a little bit of a history on me..

I lost my mom when I was 7.
I lost my little sister in a house fire
I lost my house in a house fire
I lived on the street for 4 years.
I have came close to death 8 times in the last 2 years.
I have been shot 3 times(once by myself)
I have seen two people die in cold blooded murder.
I have 4 toes... alltogether....
I grew up in France(Very traumatic)
I have an immune disorder
I have lost a gf to cancer
I have no grandparents
My dad is an alcoholic
I havn't gotten a christmas gift in 7 years that I didn't pay for by myself.
My dad was screwed out of $200,000
My brother has tried to kill me twice(no Im not kidding)

But the main reason I posted in the "Love" forum is because... uh... its about "Love".... I would have posted all this in the My Stupid life forum but I didn't... now you all act like I've had life easy and have no need to care about anything... So I guess I should finally mention that stuff... there is other stuff that is too personal or too hard to think about that I havn't mentioned. This is just a "little" bit of the shit that has happened... I am thankful to be alive.. yes... I never mentioned that I was real serious... but you fscking asked for it so there... damn I hated to tell all that stuff...

Don't get me wrong Taco, I think you are an alright guy, sometimes your bullshit catches up with you, thats all. [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 18:59      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's time I come out and be honest. It's been long over due. Although, I can guarantee that 99% of you already knew this stuff and the other 1% is either too careless to even bother or... ok you all knew this.

My mom is still alive, and I happen to be on the telephone with her at the moment. I never had a little sister. Um, I've lived in this house all of my life. Never lived on the street and I have never left the United States. Have never really left North Carolina except twice I think. Both times I was too young to remember. Only came close to death once. That was last July. Never seen a dead body before, save for at funerals.

I have a toe and a half. I have my big toe on my left foot and my pinky toe on my right foot, I only count it as a half. I call it my 'utility toe.'(/me conjurs imagines of batman)

I do have an immune disorder. It is called Chronic Granulomatus Disease.

I have 2 grandmothers. My mom's dad died of alcoholism when she was about 7 or 8. My dad used to drink heavily but he quit a while back. I've never lost a girlfriend to cancer, although, my girlfriend I have now that I have had on and off for a year and a half does have Leukemia and I have almost lost her to it before.

I'm fucking spoiled, have always had great amounts of christmas gifts that I didn't deserve/need thrown at me. My dad has never really be screwed out of anything. Me and my brother have been in some tussles but he's never really tried to kill me.

Although. I do have an immune disorder like I said. It's named Chronic Granulomatus Disease. Back in last July, this disease allowed me to get infected by a bacteria called Chromobacterium Violaceum. When I got it, it got so bad due to some lazy doctors who didn't bother to look into my records and see that I had been infected by the bacteria before that I went into Toxic Shock Syndrome. My body began to keep all of my blood in my upper body in order to maintain my vital organs. Thus, my extremeties lost blood, and began to die. My toes went far enough that I lost them almost in their entirety. My fingers began to turn purple but the doctors administered a drug to me called Xygris that restored my circulatory system before it got too bad, this was done through a swan-ganz(sp?) catheter(sp?). I also had a PICC line in my left arm. During all of this the doctors put me in a coma so that my body could cope better with the situation. I also suffered from double pneumonia which didn't help me much either. I lost most of my muscles and had to step up to be able to eat solid foods again.

Any more questions, don't be afraid to ask. I'm going to be completely honest.

I'm sick of being a troll. [Mad]

--------------------

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 20:22      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There now. Doesn't that feel better?
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 20:28      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
There now. Doesn't that feel better?

It will until the tide of "How could you do that, I'll never trust you again" posts [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 20:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, so, why the whole sob story?

Really dude, you're interesting enough without all the b.s.

Time for me to come clean: I'm a labrat.

Oh wait, you all knew that. Nevermind.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 21:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Commendable move, Taco. Wow, that was quite the revelation - I had heard much of that before, but not quite all of it (most certainly not the 'always in NC' bit).

In any event, while on the topic of revealing unknown stuff, I thought I'd just post a little something here. Following the trend of most people either ignoring my posts or finding them too uninteresting to reply to, I'd really ask that anyone who does read this to follow the latter point, and just leave this be without response. Okay, so simple little fact, heretofore known mostly by GCers that I know[/have met] in person, I'll just plainly state that Xanthine and I are no longer together. That is all. While I've been the one more particularly straying from pointing this out, I guess I've just grown tired of watching my comments in certain threads of a romantic genre, lest my cheerily cynical nature comes to light in a more conspicuous manner. *shrug*.

/me disappears again, and goes into vi to edit some perl...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 21:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee dman, after that huge round you gave me on IRC about the way I worded a post you go and do this...

It is true, the dragon and the labrat are no longer a pair. So those of you with no stomach for mushy stuff can all smile and relax and be happy. And for the record, I did the dumping, and no, I'm not going to post the details.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 21:48      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. LDR's are killer. I kinda had a feeling something was up between you two....the sappyness had all but left your collective posts [ohwell] You'll both find hapiness soon [thumbsup]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 21:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Vic - did you *READ* my post?!

--------------------

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 22:02      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did you say? I was ignoring you. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2004 22:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
What did you say? I was ignoring you. [Wink]

Lemme shake your hand, pal [Razz] . Some people do in fact RTFA (er, post) [Wink] .

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture