homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question
bourgeoiskid_rp
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2741

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 23:58      Profile for bourgeoiskid_rp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do any of you know other forums or whatever you call geekculture, where you can post topics etc? Most people here seem either old-ish and...

Most people talk here about their PCs, which I cant quite relate to, as I dont have one. I guess I want a diary-esque forum more than anything, to vent and stuff.

So please, if you know any... Preferably for teens, and even more preferably, for teens who have a knack for self effacement/self aversion.

But before I go (possibly), I must tell you something that I've watched on TV. I've been rabidly watching the Milan/Paris men's fashion week, I being a fanatic to certain models, and I just wanna praise Federico Moyano, who I saw on the MOritz Rogosky show reading a BOOK! So, if anyone tells you that models are dumb, my icon Federico is not. And it was a damn thick book too. Thicker than the Clive Cussler novels I've read, and God knows those are thick. Let's just hope my eyes werent deceiving me, or that Federico was actually just holding the book for props, so he'd look cool. But I'd rather think not. Knowing that I'm a fan, please email me if you know anything about him, or if you've got pictures (he's doing Gucci, I think, so if you've got the ads...)

Finally, the forums, OK?

--------------------
bourgeoiskid_rp

Posts: 11 | From: Asia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Al
Mini Geek
Member # 2706

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 06:01      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not good enough for you ehh?

(only kidding)

--------------------
-al

Posts: 50 | From: TN | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 09:18      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest you get a blog, then post links on forums for people to read it. Mind you not this one, as you apparently don't want our company. That way you can vent, and other people who actually want to read about your life can read it, and not tie up other forums.
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 15:33      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually not everyone here is "old-ish" as you put it.I happen to be of the wee age of 14(as of July 3rd ^_^)

--------------------
I am not the type of person to do shamless plugging,how dare you
http://freewebs.com/lordofmuffins

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 18:11      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy belated birthday. 15 here.
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 18:29      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy Jeebus. I'm 21 and now I feel old. [Eek!]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 19:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Katie:
Actually not everyone here is "old-ish" as you put it.I happen to be of the wee age of 14(as of July 3rd ^_^)

Ah, I remember when I was 14 ....

Whatever happened to that nice Mr Bonaparte?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 19:16      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
16 here, if you want what you spoke of go to livejournal http://www.livejournal.com and join some communities, good luck, you seemed like an interesting guy sorry to see you go

edit: if you do end up joining livejournal, mine is http://www.livejournal.com/~battousaimike

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 20:47      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 22... I feel old too.

Damn, I've been here a long time.....

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 21:39      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 21, but since my husband just turned 28 I'm feeling yooooouuung!!! [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2004 21:44      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I'm 21, but since my husband just turned 28 I'm feeling yooooouuung!!! [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

Must .. resist .. off colour joke .. [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2004 06:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:

Must .. resist .. off colour joke .. [Wink]
Good call, it's too easy. [Smile]

I remember being on message boards of different types when I was 13 or 14. Being almost 9 years ago now, there weren't NEARLY as many people on the Internet as there are now.

It wasn't even the same Internet, really. Spam didn't exist (*gasp*), most people didn't really know what it was, and dialup ISPs actually made money. [Razz]

dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2004 07:09      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spam didn't exist? How I wish for simpler times, I'd still have to have DSL though.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2004 07:31      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dunjamon:
Spam didn't exist? How I wish for simpler times, I'd still have to have DSL though.

I remember that a 14.4 modem was rockin' and something like DSL was a pipe dream. Computing was a lot less of a social activity then.

I still remember playing Rocket Ranger on an old Tandy.(I can't even remember the model, but CGA rules)

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2004 07:38      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL... You feel old, 'newf and MMK? I have a son the age of some of the posters in this thread.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Al
Mini Geek
Member # 2706

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2004 10:02      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm only 14. For shame for shame...

--------------------
-al

Posts: 50 | From: TN | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2004 15:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
I remember that a 14.4 modem was rockin' and something like DSL was a pipe dream.

My first modem was 300 baud, I got it when I was 23, and 'illegally' used it to dial in to the university VAX (dial-up lines were supposed to be for staff and postgrads only).

When the first 9600 baud modems came out, they were quite unreliable. Everyone I knew was sceptical, "They'll never get those speeds to work reliably over the existing copper network".

/me is connected at 512K over the same copper network [Smile]

Computing was a lot less of a social activity then.

Actually, in a way it was more social, people actually joined user groups, and met regularly IRL. Many of the old user groups have fallen by the wayside, people get their 'pirated' software from Warez sites these days.....

My mother in law (a very keen Mac geek) lured me along to the local mac users group shortly after I got my iMac. It was full of old people, the average age was probably over 60. I would have been in the youngest 10% there, and I was in my early 40s.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 21, 2004 17:01      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yo 27 here... almost had a midlife crisis when I thought was turning 29. I don't really keep track anymore, too busy with work.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 05:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
I remember that a 14.4 modem was rockin' and something like DSL was a pipe dream.

My first modem was 300 baud, I got it when I was 23, and 'illegally' used it to dial in to the university VAX (dial-up lines were supposed to be for staff and postgrads only).

When the first 9600 baud modems came out, they were quite unreliable. Everyone I knew was sceptical, "They'll never get those speeds to work reliably over the existing copper network".

/me is connected at 512K over the same copper network [Smile]

Computing was a lot less of a social activity then.

Actually, in a way it was more social, people actually joined user groups, and met regularly IRL. Many of the old user groups have fallen by the wayside, people get their 'pirated' software from Warez sites these days.....

My mother in law (a very keen Mac geek) lured me along to the local mac users group shortly after I got my iMac. It was full of old people, the average age was probably over 60. I would have been in the youngest 10% there, and I was in my early 40s.

Now you've got me thinking back to BBS'es, and when IRC channels had like.. weekly parties.

Some interesting characters went to those parties though. [Roll Eyes]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture