homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » MacWorld Expo Boston (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MacWorld Expo Boston
Mister Boo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 16:47      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I managed to get the time off to go to Boston tomorrow. Is anyone else going to be there. It would be nice to have a short notice GC mini get together.Sorry for the short notice, but now that BayBoo is here, it's hard to plan in advance sometimes [Wink]

Peace and Love,
Bill

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 18:46      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Apple bailed, you'll probably be one of the few people there. They let M$ have free space just so a big company would have a presence there.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 18:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple sucks. Really, they do. I think that's a particularly scummy thing to do - to not show up at a convention that is there to celebrate your entire product line, and all that surrounds it, and you can't have the decency to show up.

/me rages against the schmucky corporation -- they've really been screwing my dept. over lately, nevermind all the other crap they do, behind the shield of the Reality Distortion Field.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 20:17      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Jobs needs some help....or at least some better decision makers, I don't think I am the only one disillusioned with the style over substance direction they are heading.

Case in point, I was checking out an iSight the other day....the packaging was way over done....I don't wanna pay for all that crap I am just going to end up throwing out. I'd buy one if it came in a sweaty old tube sock if they knocked the price down. Don't get me wrong, the iSight itself was pretty to look at (Gmx's fav brushed aluminium) and could double as a cheese grater. But I think they retail for $175 CDN....too much!!! A USB Cam runs like $25....not to sure what Firewire goes but the iSight price is outta line like much Apple hardware.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 20:53      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Don't get me wrong, the iSight itself was pretty to look at (Gmx's fav brushed aluminium) and could double as a cheese grater.

I used to not kike brushed metal, then I just gave in. [Wink]
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 21:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:

Not exactly a kosher post there G. [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 22:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Not exactly a kosher post there G. [Wink]
In this politically-correct age, yid think people would choose their words more carefully.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 22:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a bunch of bollox.

Challah continue?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 23:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sounds like a bunch of bollox.

Challah continue?

jew think you should ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 23:53      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I do, the Dreidel will rock.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 00:01      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oi vai iz mir! Not again.

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 00:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
perhaps it's time someone wrote some code to gefilte out the bad puns....

--------------------

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 02:27      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the iSight is actually a very poor example for the case you are making. It is not fair to compare the iSight with USB 1 webcams. Over here in the UK it costs about 20% more than other firewire webcams, but a recent group test by MacUser in the UK, concluded that because it produced much the best results of all the cameras on test and had features like autofocus not present in the other cams, it was worth the extra money.

A much better example would be Apple's Airport Extreme Base Station. When this was a pioneering product, (as the Airport Express is now), you could perhaps excuse the price, but now this market has become commoditised Apple cannot justify charging 3 times the price of competing products.

Apple has to innovate constantly to keep it's head above water. This is not a bad thing.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 03:35      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn! I usually check over my posts! Sorry, I was not paying attention, but I seder you were. [Wink]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 05:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Damn! I usually check over my posts! Sorry, I was not paying attention, but I seder you were. [Wink]

I know it's rude to make fun of other peoples mistakes, but that's the kind of goy I am [Wink]

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 06:17      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one, have never owned a Mac. I get to use them on occasion at work, but I haven't got the funds to get one for home.

I have to say that Mac makes a beautiful and user friendly system. Except for the fact that it takes a month's pay to puchase a low grade model I would bring one home and replace my AMD system.

If only they could bring it out of the boutique and get it into Wal-Mart. [Frown]

'Til then I will build my own for 1/6 of the asking price of a good Mac.

CommanderShroom

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 14:27      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Except for the fact that it takes a month's pay to puchase a low grade model I would bring one home and replace my AMD system.

I don't want to turn this thread into a dreary Mac vs PC debate, or be seen as a paranoid Macolyte, but that is another false argument. Macs cost more, but (since the mid 90's anyway) only a little more than a PC. The actual reason most people will never switch is the big investment they have in 3rd party software, and the expertise won by long experience in their given platform. My bet is that even if a financial miracle enabled Macs to cost half of what a PC cost, there would not be much improvement in its market share.

Your best bet, if you don't want to have all your eggs in one basket, is to wait until you want to buy a 2nd computer and then mix one in from another platform. They talk together well now. Other than this, if you like Macs, there is no reason not to put your money where your mouth is.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 15:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
... another false argument. Macs cost more, but (since the mid 90's anyway) only a little more than a PC.

The mac laptops are especially good value.
There was a comparison on /. a while back, someone looked at some mac laptops and compared them with the nearest equivalent from one of the big name PC manufacturers (Dell?)

Turns out your money buys about the same hardware, sometimes the mac was cheaper, sometimes a little dearer. Where the scales really tipped in favour of the macs was the included software. Macs come pre-loaded with all sorts of goodies that you have to pay extra for on PCs.

My old GW2K laptop has been acting really flaky recently, and I'm seriously considering replacing it with a mac, they are very very nice. If I do end up getting another PC, it'll be for the reasons Cal outlined above, not because the mac is 'more expensive'.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 16:02      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to disagree with you guys here. My main desktop had a grand total 350.00 U.S Dollars. Last time I checked that don't happen with a Mac.

Even if I had to purchase an OS this system would have set me back 450.00. It just doesn't compare.

CommanderShroom

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mister Boo

Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 16:22      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Since Apple bailed, you'll probably be one of the few people there. They let M$ have free space just so a big company would have a presence there.

Yep, I was one of the few people there. The expo floor was tiny too. And with the rain and the accidents it caused, the round trip sucked. It need to go back to Javits.

Oh, well. I won't be going next year, unless Steve decides to participate.

Peace and Love,
Bill

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 16:58      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
I have to disagree with you guys here. My main desktop had a grand total 350.00 U.S Dollars. Last time I checked that don't happen with a Mac.

Even if I had to purchase an OS this system would have set me back 450.00. It just doesn't compare.

CommanderShroom

Specs?
i.e.
CPU Speed?
RAM?
Hard Drive size & speed?
Monitor size and type?
Video card?
Firewire?
USB?
Ethernet?
Optical drive type (CD, DVD, CDRW, DVDRW etc..)
iLife type suite?
Wifi ready?

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 17:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I'll ever be able to justify spending money on a Mac. You really can spend less money on a PC, and still get plenty of value (and I get extremely valuable software for free, thank you very much [I *love* apt-get]). All it lacks is the 'coolness' factor. I think I almost bought into the sugar water, but I believe I'll escape the Reality Distortion Field this time.

Or so says the dragon before he has a room full of 14 G5s...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 18:11      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I don't know if I'll ever be able to justify spending money on a Mac. You really can spend less money on a PC, and still get plenty of value (and I get extremely valuable software for free, thank you very much [I *love* apt-get]). All it lacks is the 'coolness' factor. I think I almost bought into the sugar water, but I believe I'll escape the Reality Distortion Field this time.

Or so says the dragon before he has a room full of 14 G5s...

Ahh, but is it apt-get you love, or Debian? There are apt-gettable repositories for other distros these days [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 18:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(and I get extremely valuable software for free, thank you very much [I *love* apt-get]).

I finally got around to installing Debian, (quick review of their beta installer - much better than the old, but still not quite there - how could it fail to recognise a Geforce Mx 440???) and spent an hour or so browsing around the packages listing and apt-get'ing away to my hearts content. It really is a very nice way of distributing software.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2004 18:26      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
(and I get extremely valuable software for free, thank you very much [I *love* apt-get]).

I finally got around to installing Debian, (quick review of their beta installer - much better than the old, but still not quite there - how could it fail to recognise a Geforce Mx 440???)
Well, the nVidia drivers are non-free, so that might explain some of it. I'm not sure if the open source driver supports that card yet, it didn't last time I looked (I've got that card, but I haven't looked for a long time). There are nvidia packages that make working with the drivers easier (although you still have to download them from nVidia of course)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture