homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Beep beep, labrat coming through (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Beep beep, labrat coming through
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 15:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
X-mobile is a bit pretentious for this job. XanthWagon or RatCar might be more in line with how I feel about my own personal p.o.s. right now.

Ratmobile ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 15:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You clever druid. [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 16:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I should paint whiskers and a tail on it then...sure won't make it look any worse than it already does.

What? Experiments failing all over town? Quick Talkeetna, to the Ratmobile!

Not sure if that works.

Edit: okay, I'm sorry, I need to whine. THis isn't worth a new thread so I'm putting it here. I apologize in advance...for both the whining, the utter trivialness of what I'm whining about, and the complete incoherency I'm about to inflict upon you...

So last week I seemed to be paying for all my sins. The car I bought broke. I discovered a problem with my climbing jacket, so I sent it to Helly Hansen to get looked at. I sent it UPS overnight. It was supposed to be in WA Friday. It wasn't. It got left at the depot on Friday, so my jacket was late which means the repair and turn-around is going to get even tighter. I ordered new climbing pants because the pair I've got are not going to survive Bolivia, and they have also developed an annoying tendency to start falling down (or maybe I've just shrunk). I checked the status of the order today because the purchase wasn't on my bank statement and they've been backordered. Maybe if I'm lucky they'll come in in time. The transcription gremlins in the lab are not yet fully dead, and I don't know why, since I've been ruthlessy hunting them for the past two weeks. My crystals did not diffract nicely...fortunately for the boss his did, so he's got the structure I've ben trying and failing to help him solve. Also, the last bits of paperwork for my trip to Bolivia haven't come in yet, I have no idea if this trip is even still going, and I also have no idea how ends are going to meet this month. They will becasue they have to. I'm just not sure how. Oh yeah, and the boss has been giving a well-deserved smack down to us in the lab. I'm not getting one since I'm a n00b in there, but I'll be honest: anger makes me anxious. That and I have no idea if I'm performing to his expectations. I'd like to think I am, but I have no idea and no nerve to ask.

And the CU cops kicked me off the wall I like to boulder on last week. But they haven't caught me this week. And UPS is refunding me.

It really isn't as bad as it sounds....it's just making me go ARGH! Sorry about the venting.

And where the hell is my income tax refund???????

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 21:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe I should paint whiskers and a tail on it then...sure won't make it look any worse than it already does.

Anything like this ?
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 21:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehehe...I might be tempted to play with that tomorrow evening with my tablet and the Gimp [evil] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 22:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please show me before you post dman...

This is what it looked like ~ l year ago (not too different from now):

-

Can you see the scales? I have no idea why the previous owner did that, but whatev.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 06:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh yeah, and the boss has been giving a well-deserved smack down to us in the lab. I'm not getting one since I'm a n00b in there, but I'll be honest: anger makes me anxious. That and I have no idea if I'm performing to his expectations. I'd like to think I am, but I have no idea and no nerve to ask.

I can relate to that one at least. I started this new job on May 31, and my boss is never around.. (one of those bosses that drives a *really* nice car and doesn't show up on sunny summer days.)

But I have no one around to really tell me what's up, how I'm doing, what I should be doing, etc. And for that reason, I don't know if I'm doing a good job, a great job, a terrible job, a mediocre job, etc.

It drives me nuts. I just want him to say, "yea, you're working well, you'll still have a job in 3 months."

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 08:31      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
my boss is never around.. (one of those bosses that drives a *really* nice car and doesn't show up on sunny summer days.)

Heh. Sounds like my girlfriend's father. [crazy]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 19:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Please show me before you post dman...

See your Gmail - I'll put it here, assuming I get an "OK" (and I can't see why you'd disapprove ot it).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2004 20:44      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as I said when I first described this:
Feel free to tell me how dumb this is [Razz] .
I can't say I'm good enough that I truly Grok the Gimp, but I'm
getting better, particularly with every stupid project I take on [Wink] .
I wasted /way/ too much time on this [Razz] :-/.
---
That was an interesting project, it was nice to finally use my tablet for graphical purposes, even though I suck at such stuff. Once again, I have even greater respect for the skills of true artists like Nitrozac, and many other people who not only know what they're doing, but do it *well*.

Oh yeah, here it is:
 -

--------------------

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 03:23      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman: It's cute. For not really understanding how to use the gimp, it's not bad at all. And tablets take some getting used to -- it's weird to draw on a surface and have the result appear 24 inches and 90 deg. away...

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 05:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when I say "don't fully Grok the Gimp," I mean that there's just so much you can do with it, and I just don't know enough about it. It had been a few months since I'd played with it in a serious way, so I'd again forgotten about how to use 'floats.' Graphics editing is not something one can just walk into - and I miss my friend, the "queen of Photoshop," who has gone back to Texas after graduating this year with me :-/. I'm starting to learn the keystrokes to switch the active tools, and that's proven to be an invaluable help (about all i was using before was '+' and '-' [Wink] ).

I'm not that bothered by the tablet stuff - I've been using it for about 2 weeks now, in lieu of a mouse, and I think it is better for my wrist, and I like it. I'm going to give this thing (an Acecat that I'm borrowing) a little bit more time before I go out and buy a Wacom (possibly getting my employer to pay for it), just to be sure it's right for me, but it is pretty nice.

P.S. I meant to pass this on to you a bit earlier, but the other day, when I looked at NSTA, the 'next' link on 2-25 was linking to itself, not 2-26.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 05:37      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, the GIMP is pretty damned useful, but there've been times where I've opened it up with the intent of doing some simple little modification to an image, and felt absolutely overwhelmed.

I have a really hard time with graphics as it is, being that my total graphic abilities and talent are limited to stick men -- and even those are bad, but it's a pain when all I wanna do is change one colour in an image to another, and I'm overwhelmed with stuff.

Once you get used to the features you have a use for though, that's one sweet piece of software.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 18:23      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
P.S. I meant to pass this on to you a bit earlier, but the other day, when I looked at NSTA, the 'next' link on 2-25 was linking to itself, not 2-26.

Oops. [blush] Fixed, now. Sometimes I miss stuff like that when editing the pages...I'd thought I checked that, but apparently I didn't. Thanks. [Smile]

(Yay! Dman reads my comic! *does happy dance* )

quote:
Well, when I say "don't fully Grok the Gimp," I mean that there's just so much you can do with it, and I just don't know enough about it. It had been a few months since I'd played with it in a serious way, so I'd again forgotten about how to use 'floats.' Graphics editing is not something one can just walk into - and I miss my friend, the "queen of Photoshop," who has gone back to Texas after graduating this year with me :-/. I'm starting to learn the keystrokes to switch the active tools, and that's proven to be an invaluable help (about all i was using before was '+' and '-' ).

Ah, I see. I know a bit how you feel -- I tried gimp after using Photoshop for a few years, and was completely lost. I'm kind of scared to switch because I'd have to relearn so much...

As for jumping into graphics editing; there's something to be said for trial and error, as long as you have the time for it and don't mind the finished product looking, well, less than professional. That's basically how I learned Photoshop -- of course, I later supplemented that with quite a few college classes on the subject. [Big Grin]

quote:
I'm not that bothered by the tablet stuff - I've been using it for about 2 weeks now, in lieu of a mouse, and I think it is better for my wrist, and I like it. I'm going to give this thing (an Acecat that I'm borrowing) a little bit more time before I go out and buy a Wacom (possibly getting my employer to pay for it), just to be sure it's right for me, but it is pretty nice.

I wish I could upgrade to a tablet -- one of the reasons I don't do my art completely digitally is because using the mouse to draw would destroy my wrist. Tablets are a lot of fun, especially when programs (like Painter) have pressure-sensitivity settings to play with... I've never used them for anything other than art, so I'm a little reticint to invest heavily in one -- it would look kind of funny playing Warcraft with a tablet, if it worked at all... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 09, 2004 22:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice dman! Except for the color, it even kinda looks like my lovely lovely car!

--------------------
- The Decemberists

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2004 07:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, I had to get a replacement for my 87 Subaru GL just recently. About a thousand miles short of the quarter million mile mark(!) It started losing oil, even though there didn't appear to be any dripping underneath. Finally found the oil... in the radiator [ohwell]

Funny thing is, it still starts and runs as faithfully as it ever did. I know that's temporary now unless I invest some serious money in repairing it, which probably isn't going to happen because I don't have said money. Sad to see her go after so many years and so many miles. Prior to this, the only major repairwork was the result of a cinder block falling off a truck in front of me and very nearly taking the front passenger side tire off the car. [Eek!]

So anyway, regardless of the previous opinions, with proper care and maintenance, a Subaru GL can hold up for quite a long time. If the previous owners haven't abused the car badly or let it deteriorate, you may be able to get more than 50k you're hoping for out of it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 11, 2004 08:12      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen!!! Welcome back! I hoped we could get you to make an appearance!

Tell us how you are, if you want??

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 11, 2004 09:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -  - Steen!! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

we've missed you. [Happytears]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2004 09:41      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flashfire:
it would look kind of funny playing Warcraft with a tablet, if it worked at all... [Big Grin]

I haven't been able to get my tablet to work with many games, but then I just don't have the time to invest playing around with the settings to make it work.

However, I would recommend investing in one for not only artisty stuff but also for dtp and just general use - much, much better on the wrists, especially on a cramped desk.

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 11, 2004 09:59      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back Steen! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup] I hope that you yourself haven't had to have any more repair work. [Smile]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2004 10:04      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen! Welcome Back [thumbsup]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2004 14:34      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you could soup it up ala Big Daddy Roth:

-

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2004 16:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen! In my thread too! I'm honored!

Well, I got the car to Nederland. It made it up the canyon. There were a few stretches where the speed limit seemed more like a cruel joke than a law though, but that's what happens when you're driving a little car up a 10% grade. I think I now know why Coloradans seem to love those big muscle cars though. Did some hiking while I was up there on the divide. Up at 9000 feet it's nice. Down here at ~6000 we're hanging out at 106 F!

LOL GMx!

--------------------
- The Decemberists

nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 12, 2004 05:23      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I just loaded an old Dell PowerEdge 2100/200 (the latter being the processor speed) into the trunk (boot) of my car. I think it'll make a decent e-mail server, and hopefully a backup server as well, as it has tape drive.

You run an e-mail server in the boot of your car? Wow dman, you're even more of a geek than we realised! [Wink]

Fingers crossed for the health and long life of your motor transport, X. It looks like a climber's car... it must work!!

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2004 09:12      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I couldn't resist making my own version of the ratmobile. [Razz] Enjoy!

-

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture