homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » iTunes Music Store

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iTunes Music Store
fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 15, 2004 05:51      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At last, we have it. [thumbsup]

A single tune for £0.79 (1.4USD approx). [thumbsdown]

Oh well, look out bank account I'm gonna go online!!
Check out The Darkness and ABBA specials - they rock!

Yes ABBA do rock, always have always will.
M.

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2004 06:11      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! That's only a %40 markup from the American iTunes price! Well done, Apple! That's about %10 cheaper than the markup they make on the mini iPod. I guess that's because there's no extravagant shipping costs to fabricate out of thin air this time. Gotta love those ripoff bastards^H^H^H^H^H^H^H *ahem* Apple.

Proof again that Apple are the scum of the Earth - they are the layer of crusted shit on the turd pie that is Microsoft.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2004 06:12      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's still a better deal than buying CD's!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2004 06:19      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not in my book. I rarely pay more than £8 for the CDs I buy (ok, aged hippy crap - I admit it). So it works out much the same - except I can play my CDs on at least six different appliances and doo-hickeys I own - and it's tangible. I never have to worry about backing up my CDs. And another thing - I can choose to buy my CDs from small, independent music stores, rather than handing over huge wads of cash to the evil behemoth that is Apple.

Now, if we were to hark back to vinyl - then we'd be talking! [Wink]

--------------------

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2004 06:29      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's really not a better deal than buying CDs.

• Your money still goes to the RIAA (assuming you bought songs released by RIAA labels) to pay for lawsuits against single mothers, teenage girls, and senior citizens who don't even have computers capable of running iTMS.
  • You get a lossily-compressed version of the song, instead of full 44.1 kHz 16-bit stereo digital audio.
  • You have to invest your own time and money making a physical backup of the song, because you didn't get a pre-manufactured plastic disc with it.
  • The song is encrypted and can only be played back on a predetermined set of devices. CDs can be played anywhere.
  • Their selection's pathetic. What's the point of only offering stuff I've already got, or can easily get on Gnutella/FastTrack/etc.?
  • You don't get the packaging: the little booklet with the cover art and liner notes, the jewel case with the songs listed on the back and the artist/album names printed on the side, and so on.
  • $1.40 for a song is way too damned high.

I'd rather wait for the CD to show up in the used record store or the public library. I've bought entire CDs for less than $1.40 before (see previous thread that I don't feel like searching for right now). Even the US price of $0.99 per song is too high in my opinion.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2004 06:35      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya darn tootin', Greycat! Couldn'ta said it better meself. [Smile]

--------------------

fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2004 07:56      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I agree with most of the above, at least with iTunes you can still purchase a single track rather than the whole album.

On the other hand, just to argue against my own arguement, you could miss some real gems on the album. Doh!

For me I think the fun will wear off rather quickly, once I have bought all the tracks I haven't got. I mean I still like to look at my (and my girlfriend's) rather ample rack of CDs.

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2004 08:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you're looking at her CDs because? [evil]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2004 08:16      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
* Your money still goes to the RIAA (assuming you bought songs released by RIAA labels) to pay for lawsuits against single mothers, teenage girls, and senior citizens who don't even have computers capable of running iTMS.

I doubt my money goes to the RIAA, as I'm in Europe, and the last A stands for America, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to know I'm not breaking the law, and some of the money does get back to the artist.

* You get a lossily-compressed version of the song, instead of full 44.1 kHz 16-bit stereo digital audio.

True, but I don't have golden ears and can't really tell the difference.

* You have to invest your own time and money making a physical backup of the song, because you didn't get a pre-manufactured plastic disc with it.

Every bit of music I own is backed up onto my ipod. Also, it saves me spending the time and money going out and browsing through 2nd hand stores, when I can just hit the search button to find what I want.

* The song is encrypted and can only be played back on a predetermined set of devices. CDs can be played anywhere.

Doesn't bother me that much. I only play stuff on my ipod and computer nowadays. Also I don't expect to build up a huge amount of music that is protected AAC format, so it won't be a huge loss if it goes.

* Their selection's pathetic. What's the point of only offering stuff I've already got, or can easily get on Gnutella/FastTrack/etc.?

Knowing that what you are getting is of reasonable quality, and the convenience of getting a reliable product. Also staying the right side of the law.

* You don't get the packaging: the little booklet with the cover art and liner notes, the jewel case with the songs listed on the back and the artist/album names printed on the side, and so on.

You do get the artwork for use on your computer. I normally look at the cover once, then put it away for ever with CD's, so it doesn't bother me.

* $1.40 for a song is way too damned high.

In your opinion. I am willing to pay that amount of cash for songs that I like. I like the idea of cherry-picking the best songs from an album, without having all of the 'filler' round the edges. To get the song, of guaranteed quality, with great convenience is worth the money to me. It's a lot cheaper than buying singles, and a lot less time consuming than browsing second hand shops. Of course, if you enjoy the thrill of the chase, and the excitement of finding hidden gems for next to no money, then you will have a different view. I'd rather it all just worked with one click.

Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2004 18:48      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The individual song purchase is why I stopped buying CDs when the US store opened and just waited for the UK store to be available. It breaks a nasty little trick that the record companies do to the CD buying public, where they release an album from a band, then release another album where only a track or two is different or new to try and get the fans to buy both. Now you just buy the one album and the two individual tracks [Smile]

79p is high, especially when you compare it to the 0.99 Euro price (it was always going to be higher than the US price because of VAT) as the French and German prices include VAT too so should be similar (nearer 65p). However, with currency fluctuating, it's nearly impossible to set a fixed price for any length of time that isn't going to be wildly wrong in a year or so anyway. While there's more to the whole debate of Britain converting to the Euro than this, the aspect of web stores being able to set a single price across the whole European market is a big draw.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 15, 2004 23:28      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see now.. US .99, UK 1.49USD.... by the time Apple does this in Canada my guess is (now) that it will be 1.99 CAD or about . USD150.... technically Canda should have been next, but i guess since we ha a pirate levy an ALL media (video cassets, DVD, CD, Audio casettes) we may not get iTMS. at the rat this is going.... Because of the levy, the iPod had an addtional 25$ CAD added to it in piracy taxes (any non removable storage in a digial audio player over 1GB). you guys have it easy, except of course for the VAT, but we have the GST (7%) plus applicable PST (depends if there is one in said province) Total tax in BC amounts to 14.5% on top of everything else....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 00:18      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must complain about iTunes Music Store...

It doesn't have a lot of the stuff I look for... why not !?!? None of the Grateful dead stuff that I like...

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 00:49      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, the content is a bit bare at the moment. Lets hope it picks up eh?
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 04:37      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
I must complain about iTunes Music Store...

It doesn't have a lot of the stuff I look for... why not !?!? None of the Grateful dead stuff that I like...

They have good taste! [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 11:44      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So have any Europeans bought anything yet?
I've just completed my first order:

Stand by your man: Tammy Wynette
For what it's worth: Buffalo Springfield
Want: The Cure
Rebel rebel: David Bowie
Don't fear the reaper: Blue Oyster Cult -Amazingly hard to find with the full guitar solo.
Whiskey in the jar: Thin Lizzy

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 11:55      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some decent tracks, there, LF... and Tammy Wynette. [Wink]

--------------------

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 12:45      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh thats mean! She did work with the JAMMS, so she mustbe cool!

Besides, with your tendancies, I'd have thought you liked a bit of country music. [Wink]

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2004 12:52      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
... with your tendancies, I'd have thought you liked a bit of country music. [Wink]

Yeah, you're right, there - I put the c*nt into Country & Western. [Wink]

--------------------

nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 17, 2004 07:05      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
(sundry carping and whining about Apple)

and

quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
(further sundry carping and whining about Apple)

Since there's no particular problem with the availability of clearly superior physical CD's, and there are other online music services out there anyway, and there are other MP3 players out there anyway, it's pretty obvious iTMS is doomed to failure - don't you think, boys? In which case, why waste energy burying it?

Or is it possible there's something you've missed?

Personally, I won't be using iTMS yet 'cos I don't have OS X - I do have a PC but I'm b*****ed if I'm letting it get one up on my Mac [Wink] In the future, I can see myself buying music off iTunes when I want a selected track or find the convenience is an advantage, and on CD when I prefer the whole package with the pretty insert. I don't see much difference between the two as far as the role of the major labels and RIAA goes.

And Steve gets to pose with his arm round Alicia Keys' waist. Who loses? [Big Grin]

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture