homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Bahbs American accent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bahbs American accent
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2004 18:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was recently given an illicit copy of a "Bob The Builder" video. It had been dubbed - from English into American !

That's right, Bob (or should I say 'Bahb' ?) and Wendy and all the crew had definite 'merkin accents (actually, I think they may have been English people putting on fake 'merkin accents - even worse)

This may not surprise the 'merkins out there, but it surprised the hell out of me. The idea of dubbing a video in order to protect the little kiddies of America from exposure English accents is just absurd.

Is this common?

Why would any sane person bother?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2004 19:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it's hard to understand a thick British accent. It can also be hard to understand some of the thick regional US accents...that's why all our radio and TV announcers sound Midwestern.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2004 21:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Sometimes it's hard to understand a thick British accent. It can also be hard to understand some of the thick regional US accents...that's why all our radio and TV announcers sound Midwestern.

British TV avoids the strong regional accents for the same reason. If Bob was a Glaswegian or a Cornishman I'd understand, but his accent is quite mild.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2004 23:44      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, I always thought Bob and Wendy were yanks. One day my son and I tuned in and Bob was speaking with a british accent. My son (almost 3) and I look at each other with identicle facial expressions as if we were thinking 'wot the fsck?'
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2004 18:09      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know bob the builder was british...
But then again, I hardly ever watch TV, much less watch nickelodeon (I think that's what channel it comes on in the states).

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2004 15:23      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This must be a new thing, because Ol' Thomas the Tank Engine was never dubbed; he's always been British.

Though that might be because the stories were read by Ringo Starr, and it would unthinkable to dub a Beatle's voice...even in America.

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2004 06:22      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My younger son's got some Thomas the Tank Engine videotapes that are narrated by George Carlin.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2004 02:11      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange. The guy who does the (proper) voiceover is Neil Morrissey - he of (the original, and much, much funnier) Men Behaving Badly fame - his accent is not what you'd call thick - I believe they over-dub septic voices so as to not contextually confuse their youngsters (and also to emphasize the point "Hey - isn't America great!? We make every show there is - foreign people in distant, cold, and unfree countries can only marvel at what we're capable of").

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
PrairieGeek
Newbie Larva
Member # 2619

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2004 19:35      Profile for PrairieGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They never dubbed Ringo Starr on Shining Times Station...or did they?
Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2004 22:48      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PrairieGeek:
They never dubbed Ringo Starr on Shining Times Station...or did they?

No, but his drumming was dubbed on beatles albums and live shows [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2004 07:09      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both Ringo and George Carlin played the conductor. I think George played the part following Ringo's departure.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mister Boo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2004 09:11      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
Both Ringo and George Carlin played the conductor. I think George played the part following Ringo's departure.

And they were followed by Alec Baldwin. George and Ringo were both very good as Mr. Conductor. And yes, I watch Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends for entertainment puposes. I just love Rheneas and Skarloey. Of course my dream vacation would be 2 weeks exploring all the Welsh narrow guage lines.

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2004 10:28      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boo: Check out http://www.whitepassrailroad.com in Alaska.

I was on it last weekend and the views are deadly. Narrow gauge and steam engines!!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2004 16:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, if you want to take a ride on Thomas, he lives in Australia now

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture