homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Blimey, I'm in England

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blimey, I'm in England
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 05:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, yeah, the subject says it all.

Anyway, I'm going to go into London now to do something, nothing, whatever [Razz] . Yeah, I don't entirely believe in plans when travelling [Wink] .

Anyway, if any of you have suggestions on what you find interesting around this place, let me know, and I'll take it under consideration [Smile] .

Now, if only I wasn't re-reading this post in my head hearing an accent that seems to have infected me from the British Airways people. /me ponders if he should try and tick off people (albeit not intentionally) with a vocal version of that, or use mental discipline, and be purely American [evil] .

Cor!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 06:05      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to try the fish and chips!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 06:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Big Question: have you hit Tottenham Court Road yet? (The one truly geeky place in London... mmm... Microanvika...  - )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 07:40      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do the London Eye, dude!!

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 07:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
British Museum.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 07:42      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always enjoy a stroll along the South Bank and can recomend 'Gourmet Pizza' at Gabriels Wharf whilst it is a little pricey the pizza is top notch.

The general atmosphere and street performers in Covent Garden can make for a pleasant afternoon especially if you are in the mood for a slow day.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 26, 2004 07:49      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the Tottenham Court Road suggestion... and the Earth Sciences bit of the Natural History museum... and of course the Science Museum...
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 07:52      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
an usa accent is not to be encoraged, but then neither is an affected "English" accent so I'm affraid you are on to a looser either way there.

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 08:30      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to know what you should do in a real English pub, check out this anthropologic report.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 08:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tower of London.

But then again, I like ancient hulking ruins.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 08:49      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
count the starbucks. that will take at least three days. per street.

I eerily remeber there being a meet up in london at some point, and a bunch of GCers lived there. i think maybe even spungo was one of them, but i'm not sure. i wold say stop by on them for a surprise visit. or visit Uilleann in hertfordshirevillesbourghtown.

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 09:11      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alephcat:
an usa accent is not to be encoraged, but then neither is an affected "English" accent so I'm affraid you are on to a looser either way there.

Yup, you'll have to go for the full Dick van Dyke/ Mary Poppins accent for true anonymity...

[evil]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 10:26      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Tower of London.

But then again, I like ancient hulking ruins.

So you like older men, eh?
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 10:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
quote:
Originally posted by Alephcat:

Yup, you'll have to go for the full Dick van Dyke/ Mary Poppins accent for true anonymity...

[evil]

Hip hip cheerio! Have a good time. [Smile] I would check out the Tower of London myself. (Hearing XTC in my head) [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 10:30      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
schnurren isn't kidding about the Starbucks. [Eek!] There is also this little place called Pret a Manger that seems to be everywhere. I never went in, probably because there were so many of them.

I recommend the Tower of London as well. Not sure if you like theater but I enjoyed going to see Les Miserables at the Palace Theatre. That was four years ago so I suppose it's possible that it's not playing there anymore. [crazy] And if it's possible for you to get out of London for an afternoon I highly recommend both Bath Abbey and Stonehenge.

And bring lots of money!!!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 10:43      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
schnurren isn't kidding about the Starbucks. [Eek!]

Too true. In Leeds there's a Strarbucks in Borders, and directly opposite Borders is... A Starbucks! And all the little coffee shops in towns like Cambridge are slowly being bought out by them, so if you were to stand on a random streetcorner you would probably see at least 5 [Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I enjoyed going to see Les Miserables at the Palace Theatre. That was four years ago so I suppose it's possible that it's not playing there anymore. [crazy]

Les Miserables is *always* playing somewhere in London. Just look at the posters in the Underground stations [shake head]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 11:21      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know where you are going to be staying in London but if you get ticked off with all the huge museums and galleries, there is one small eccentric gem of a museum I would recommend, Sir John Soane's Museum in Lincoln's Inn Fields. London was really just a collection of villages that got stuck together, so it is interesting to visit some of the parts of it that reflect that, like like say Hampstead. From the Heath there you can get quite a good view of London and it is a good place to go and enjoy some sunshine.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 14:03      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
The Big Question: have you hit Tottenham Court Road yet? (The one truly geeky place in London... mmm... Microanvika...  - )

Even better, just up the road inside the Procom shop, Mac Merchant, Macintosh dealer to the stars [Wink]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 15:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two words for you that should stir deep passion in any true geek....

Babbage Engine

The Science Museum is well worth budgeting at least a full day.

If that doesn't do it for you, and you have any interest in history, how about these two words

Rosetta Stone

You need to spend at least a day at the British Museum.

If you've a patriotic bent, and want to do something a little different, theres a bell foundry in east London where the Liberty Bell was made (also Big Ben). It's about 2**34 seconds old, and still making bells in the time-honoured fashion. Can' remember the name of the place, but it's in Aldgate High Street, just near the East London Mosque. While you''re there, make a rude gesture at the big Natwest Bank building where I used to work.

Oh, and of course you should get out to Stonehenge.

[edit]
The Bell foundry has a web page

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 16:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
littlefish wrote:
quote:
Don't forget to try the fish and chips!
Mmmm, that was a good late lunch early dinnerÖquite nice :-).

Xanthine wrote:
quote:
British Museum.
Well, thatíll be the second vote Iíve heard for that, so I fancy Iíll be going there soon.

Allan:
quote:
I always enjoy a stroll along the South Bank and can recomend 'Gourmet Pizza' at Gabriels Wharf whilst it is a little pricey the pizza is top notch.
Iím from New York Ė why again would I spend extra money for good pizza? [Wink]

quote:
The general atmosphere and street performers in Covent Garden can make for a pleasant afternoon especially if you are in the mood for a slow day.
While just walking about, I made my way there by fortunate chance, and enjoyed it greatly. I just stood there for awhile, still finishing off my fish and chips, and listening to a bloke doing an awesome performance of ďAlong the Watchtower.Ē

erbo wrote:
quote:
If you want to know what you should do in a real English pub, check out this anthropologic report.
I read that a long time ago Ė great read. Havenít been to a pub here yet, donít know if Iíll go Ė Iím not much of a drinker, but I might just have to stop in and have a Bass or something to soak up the atmosphere.

snupy wrote:
quote:
do the London Eye, dude!!
Okay, I shall have to do so [Razz] . I mean what with all those bangs and such (*nix slang, sorry for all the foreigners [Wink] ).

spungo wrote:
quote:
The Big Question: have you hit Tottenham Court Road yet? (The one truly geeky place in London... mmm... Microanvika...)
Well, when you put it like thatÖ
Öthen again, I hit this computer store out on the island, Micro Center, on Saturday, and picked up some cool kit for very little, so Iím already quite happy in the tech areas. My friend described me as ďa kid in a candy [email protected]£ [bloody kbd Ė needs proper layout [Wink] ], and that I had ďa smile from ear to ear,Ē and he was right [Big Grin] .

alephcat writes:
quote:
Doh! I do wonder which would be worse, though. Is spelling correctly recommended, though?

Callipygous Ė Iím not really planning on hitting loads of museums, actually.
TFD: On that note, I imagine Iíll really just be hitting the British Museum. Wow, that makes 3 votes for it. Iíve definitely got to go there now [Razz] . Well, not now-now, as itís 2354, but definitely tomorrow, I imgine [Big Grin] .

Peebs: Sorry, Iím not really much of a theatre person :-/.

Okay, Iíve gone on far too much with this, and have been a bad person, and used Word to compose this post (the copy/paste for *many* posts made it remarkably simple though Ė I could have used vi, I suppose *shrugs*)

P.S. Yes, Iíve seen many Starbucks about, but I really think we have more of them in NY (and the US in general).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 27, 2004 06:06      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Sir John Soane's Museum in Lincoln's Inn Fields.

Beat me to it, Calli (and if anyone was going to I might have guessed it would be you!) The other museum worth a visit on Lincoln's Inn Fields is the one in the Royal College of Surgeons but it's not open to the public - when I was doing my degree at KCL we blagged our way in by pretending to be med students... [Eek!]

If you're only going to do one museum though, the BM is a good bet. You guys have good science museums over there but I don't think you have mummies 'n' stuff like we do! If you're into contemporary art, Tate Modern is well worth a visit - as probably is the new Saatchi gallery, but I haven't been yet. (nb I don't count galleries as museums)

Tottenham Court Road is geeky but pretty tacky IMHO, and again probably doesn't compete with the superstores you'll be used to. It is near the BM though. Also there's a big Waterstones bookshop on Malet Street in the same area... More fun if you like rooting through dusty old kit might be the secondhand shops on Notting Hill Gate. From there take a wander up Portobello Road until you get to the funky bit under the elevated motorway, near Ladbroke Grove tube - that'd be a fine way to spend an afternoon getting a slightly less touristy picture of London.

I can't remember any good pubs around Portobello, though having lived not far away for four years I must have been to some (and therefore they must have been good [Wink] ) - I'd steer clear of the ones on Ladbroke Grove itself though. One that springs to mind closer to where you started from is the Winston Churchill on Kensington Church Street which has/had a very good Thai restaurant at the back. Just remember when they say something's 'hot' they really mean it (there's also 'very hot' but I don't think humans can eat this).

Finally, when it comes to taking a present home, there's a big Snow+Rock on Kensington High Street - Pod rucksacs, Rab down stuff and DMM climbing hardware would be good choices for kit that may be hard to find across the pond [Big Grin]

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2004 15:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I forgot to mention Foyles, well worth a few hours of any geeks time in London.

It's a bookshop, a huge bookshop, and everything that Borders isn't. You won't find coffee, comfy-chairs, and jazz music here.

A long long time ago, a little bookshop opened in Charing Cross Road. As business grew, it took over the building next door, then the one next to that, then the one out the back, the one around the corner, and so on. Each time they just knocked a hole in the adjoining wall big enough for a door, creating a huge rabbit-warren of little book-rooms. It's crowded, chaotic, and confusing, but that's why it's so great. You've got to love a book shop that you can quite easily get lost in.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2004 05:11      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nekomatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Sir John Soane's Museum in Lincoln's Inn Fields.

Beat me to it, Calli
Glad someone else here knows it. It is hard to say why it is such a wonderful place, but everyone I have sent there has enjoyed it enormously. Do you see on their web site that it is open "on the first Tuesday evening of each month, 6-9pm when parts of the Museum are lit with candles."? I bet that is fabulous.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2004 04:54      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starbucks in Leeds may be bad, in Manchester we have a serious problem with Subway - we have 4 near University. Still in London I always have a look round Camden and that's about it. Still Microanvika in Manchester has lots of pretty Macs to drool over, they keep throwing me out for playing with the G5 in there.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture