homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Name origens (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Name origens
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 06:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<voice-of-command>
These are not the druids you are looking for...
</voice-of-command>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 06:06      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sconzey:
Heh, sconzey comes from scones, which, when said with a queen's-english accent (for the Americans, thats skohnz with an 'oh' as opposed to skonz)

I always thought that 'scone' rhymes with 'on', not 'bone'. Then again, in the Stone of Scone, it's pronounced 'skoon'. [Confused]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 06:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family pronounce 'scone' (the yummy eaty thing) as rhyming with 'on', but Scone (the place) as rhyming with 'bone'.

I almost wish the yummy eaty thing did rhyme with 'bone', because then I could open a sconnery and call it 'Sconehenge'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 06:51      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BLIMEH!!!

I know I've been a bit (a bit?!!!) awol lately, but, well, I mean, RILLY...

Well basically Brian it was a game of two halves...

Sorry.

My online nick came from the fact that I work as the (alleged) IT Guy in a very, *very* multicultural office and the majority of my cow-irkers invariably attract my attention by calling out, frinstance, "Hey U!!! My printer's not working", or "Hey U!!! Have you restored that file from the backup tape yet?", or "Hey U!!! What's a right-click?"

IT... It's just glamo(u)r, glamo(u)r, glamo(u)r...

[Big Grin]

How are you all, anyway, btw?

(Answers on the back of a blank cheque (check) to the usual address...)

Must dash, sweety darlings, have to shampoo the cat... or something....

*air kisses all round*

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 14:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
BLIMEH!!!

I know I've been a bit (a bit?!!!) awol lately, but, well, I mean, RILLY...

Well basically Brian it was a game of two halves...

Sorry.

My online nick came from the fact that I work as the (alleged) IT Guy in a very, *very* multicultural office and the majority of my cow-irkers invariably attract my attention by calling out, frinstance, "Hey U!!! My printer's not working", or "Hey U!!! Have you restored that file from the backup tape yet?", or "Hey U!!! What's a right-click?"

IT... It's just glamo(u)r, glamo(u)r, glamo(u)r...

[Big Grin]

How are you all, anyway, btw?

(Answers on the back of a blank cheque (check) to the usual address...)

Must dash, sweety darlings, have to shampoo the cat... or something....

*air kisses all round*

I'm confused - didn't you offer a similar explanation on page one of this thread (I'm too lazy to check ATM - still dealing with that post-graduation floatiness [Smile] )? Or will the story really take off by the time we hit page 3? [evil]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 14:59      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
My family pronounce 'scone' (the yummy eaty thing) as rhyming with 'on', but Scone (the place) as rhyming with 'bone'.

I almost wish the yummy eaty thing did rhyme with 'bone', because then I could open a sconnery and call it 'Sconehenge'.

Most people around here do have it as rhyming with 'on' as opposed to 'bone'. However, if one puts on an overly upper-class accent then it can rhyme with 'bone'... Thats how it arose anyway...

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 17:18      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine's easy -- Flashfire's the name of the main character in the comic I draw. Of course, I probably should have used a different one as it's technically a guy's name (the character's male), but it was the only thing I could think of when I registered...

BTW, Xanthine -- did you know there's a graphic design firm on Bainbridge Island named after you? Xanthine Graphics, Inc. I think you should demand royalties... [Wink]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 18:28      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quantumfluff is a Klingon word roughly meaning "Warrior with a twelve inch weapon"
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 18:34      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course my name means that I have:

Too Many Beads Waving In The Wind, Poor Baby

Toast My Brother Wades Idly Through Wine, Prepare Bagels

Treacherous Moles Blindly Walking In Tepid Water, Peerless Bathers

Three Maternal Blondes Whet Infant Thirst With Public Breasts

Tomato Mustard Beluga White Icing Takes Win, Public Bewildered [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 15, 2004 23:18      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple: I'm a super heroine who employs technology to fight crime, assist the disadvantaged, and protect the rights and lives of decent citizens -- hence, "Tech Angel". As for my secret identity, though... sorry, I can't divulge that. [Razz]

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 13:43      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nick, though unoriginal has nothing to do with comic books or movies...though as my avatar would suggest that's what it turned into over time.

Anyway, pretty simple really...when I was younger (and now to a certain extent as well) I had an acute case of arachnophobia and friends starting calling me Spiderman...it stuck.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 16:31      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been fascinated w/ Russian history, but my name comes, supposedly, from the submarine moves the Russians use to check their baffles, the Crazy Ivan. And as I've found, crazy people aren't respected, so I'm just Ivan.
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 02:54      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't think of anything clever or original to use for my name.
Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 09:40      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I mentioned this in my self-intro, way back when, but I'm not even sure I could find it, so:

Dana is a floppy-eared German Shepherd with a sweet disposition, and the closest thing Danamomma and I have to a daughter.

She got her name from the TV. The idea was to get another dog and call it Fox. It turned out our front yard is too small to hold two dogs comfortably. Poor Dana!

Cheers,

Danapoppa

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
maven
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2714

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 14:16      Profile for maven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maven: A person who has special knowledge or experience; an expert.

[Razz]

--------------------
"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."

Posts: 32 | From: East Peoria, IL | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
feldspar
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1095

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2004 19:25      Profile for feldspar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An old college nickname:
http://www.bartleby.com/61/6/F0070600.html
but I'm sure the geologists out there already figured that out.

--------------------
This machine kills fascists

Posts: 32 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2004 21:10      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sn is relatively new for me, I picked it out b/c at the time I needed to shed my old online ID and pick out a new one. That Orpheus lost someone he loved to Hades sort of fit the situation I was in when all this came about so in addition to sorta sounding cool that part of the story fit.

Now that I know more of the story though it really doesn't fit; most of my friends are female, and I can't sing worth a damn.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 19, 2004 10:02      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by feldspar:
I'm sure the geologists out there already figured that out.

I appear to be the only one out here - unless you are. Then there's two of us. And thats better than one - we could have interesting conversations about rocks... or maybe not [Smile]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 10:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocks rock! [thumbsup]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 10:18      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's gneiss of you [Smile]
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 11:32      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been trying to act boulder lately.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 11:41      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You shale overcome. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 11:47      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't take it for granite.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 12:23      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of quartz I won't
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 13:15      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This whole thread is a beryl of laughs.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture