homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My son got a job!!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My son got a job!!!!
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 29, 2004 04:21      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yahoooooo!!!!!! He graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh in December, with a BS (NOT BFA) in Graphic Design, and we have send HUNDREDS of resumes out...the first interview he has had, and he got the job!!!!

He's a graphic designer....the job is with a major national publisher of children's books and advertising in Columbus, Ohio!!! Yahooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, six more years, my daughter will be out of high school and out of college!!! Then I can get myself some new socks!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 29, 2004 05:39      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR SON!! I'm a graphic designer myself and I know how tough it is to find a job. Sounds like he snagged a good one! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 29, 2004 06:10      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations to your son and you. I understand how you feel about the socks. My daughter starts college in the fall, and I'm probably going to have to take a new job to pay for it.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 07:14      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Arlo.

College night at my son's HS was last night. I am scared...

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 29, 2004 07:25      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
Congrats, Arlo.

College night at my son's HS was last night. I am scared...

The most difficult things about the whole college experience has been the seeming lack of complete knowledge of almost all of the college administrators and bureaucrats you will talk to. Follow your "gut feel", that is, if it sounds too good to be true, question it. A lot. I have received so much misinformation from college people as to almost be comedic! Pound on em, pound on em some more, and once more for effect...that's my only advice!! ROFL

Seriously, grey_girl, after communicating with you over the last few weeks, I can safely conclude that you are just the kind of person to take this "college thing" by the tail and shake it hard....rofl You are the kind of strong, independent woman I want my daughter to grow up and emulate!!!

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 29, 2004 07:36      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MAGNIFICENT VALOUR Son of Arlo!

Congrats Arlo too... you must have done something right! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 07:58      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How cool! And Columbus is a great city. Tell him three cheers!
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 08:07      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Arlo. [Smile]

My dream school for my son and something of a "gut feel" until last night had been Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh. Then I saw that estimated costs are $40k a year (tuition, room and board, etc.). Even with loans, I don't think I could handle that. I'm his sole means of support.

However, sonny boy and I already talked about some of the colleges within the State University of NY system, particularly the University Centers at Buffalo and Stonybrook. They're heavy science schools, and he is set on majoring in physics or comp sci (or some combination of the two). We're talking a huge difference here in costs - UB estimated costs including room and board are $12,500, Stonybrook just a little higher.

We're probably better off making those our top choice schools. Boy's grades aren't the greatest, but he saved his butt with great grades on the PSATs, giving us reason to be hopeful about his SATs. With his Attention Deficit problems, I am concerned about him being overwhelmed at a school like Carnegie Mellon anyway. I can't get a straight answer out of him as to where he wants to go. He says he doesn't know (Uh, gee, maybe that's why I dragged you to college night???) He says it doesn't matter much where he goes, because "Mom, it's SCHOOL." I'd like to see him somewhere he can be happy though. I'm just making sure we have time to investigate all our options and make a good decision - he's only a sophomore. I do want him to go away to school though because he needs to gain independence (ok, and I do want my life back. [Wink] )

Now if I could just get him to stop the "Buffalo or Siberia, not much difference" jokes. What's a little snow???? A lake effect squall is nothing! I walked a mile to school in one! Up hill!

PS. I really did, at SUNY-Oswego. [Smile]

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 09:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I walked a mile too, but it was a flat mile in the direction I was coming from (University of Rochester). The snowstorms were annoying, but it was the ice storms that sent me packing. I am sorry, but ice should not be falling from the sky, and it definitely should not be blowing into your face. That fscking hurt. Not that Boulder is much better in that regard. Nothing makes me cringe like "frozen mix" in the forecast. Happily for me, it doesn't stick around long enough for the governor to declare a state of emergency out here...

Grey_girl, if it makes you feel better, I had no idea where I wanted to go as a sophomore either, and I didn't have ADD; I just had adolescence. All I knew was I wanted to go out of state and study science, which was already more than a lot of my peers could say. These are the sorts of things that sort themselves out. If it's the end of his junior year and he's not showing any interest, then it's time to start worrying.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 09:47      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:

However, sonny boy and I already talked about some of the colleges within the State University of NY system, particularly the University Centers at Buffalo and Stonybrook. They're heavy science schools, and he is set on majoring in physics or comp sci (or some combination of the two).

i know nothing about american schools, but the most important thing about choosing a school anywhere is to make sure it's somewhere you can "blossom".

it's not only a place where you will get a degree. it is also a place where you can find self-confidence. confidence in yourself and self-acceptance are worth a lot in life. a school where you get involved in lots of different activities is great.

getting into a "good" school only comes second, although this is important as well.

best of luck for your son

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 10:28      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:

i know nothing about american schools, but the most important thing about choosing a school anywhere is to make sure it's somewhere you can "blossom".

Thanks, cheezi.

Finding a place where he can "blossom" is exactly what I meant when I wrote I was looking for a place where he can be happy. You hit the nail right on the head.

crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 29, 2004 10:34      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was picking a college, I picked a place I didn't have to drive very far to get too!! ROFL
BellaDonna
Geek
Member # 2123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 13:01      Profile for BellaDonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grey_girl: If you're looking into colleges in NY I highly suggest Marist College (not like I'm an alum or anything [Wink] ). I too didn't know where I wanted to go as a Sophomore, or what I wanted to major in. I ended up applying to 4 colleges and I had a different major listed for each. I started Marist as a Biology major, and when that didn't work out fell into computers, but the thing was I had a lot of options.

So as advice for you and your son, make sure you choose a place he's comfortable at and what he wants to do will fall into place. Basically what cheezi said.

Oh and look at Marist [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 15:30      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grey, did you ever think of sending your son to a summer program at a college?
Many colleges offer them. I got a list of a ton of them in the tri-state area from my Guidance Counselor (well, more like googling [Big Grin] ), and ended up finding a nice one at Columbia. It's a great way to experience what a college is like (as long as it's a college-run program like the one at Columiba, not a separate program that just happens to be at the college, like Explo at Wellesley/Yale). Even if it's not a college that he definitely wants to go to, it probably would still be a good experience. It's probably a bit late now for this summer though. Since you're in the city though, maybe there's one where he can commute to that will still accept applications (obviously not the same as being there but maybe still a similar experience?)

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2004 03:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grey_girl____You stated that you were his sole means of support, there are programs for children in this situation. I would be going to the financial aid office of all places that your child is appling.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2004 07:25      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tut, sonny is applying to a summer program at a college in Vermont, so that's done. [Smile] I'm just being honest, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't get accepted at the bigger schools. His grades aren't that great.

MoMan, do you mean general financial aid or aid specifically targetted to kids of single Moms? But in any event, the financial aid offices of the college will be among my first stops when we do campus visits.

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2004 07:26      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GreyGirl: StonyBrook over Buffulo any day. I think the school is better and Suffolk is really doing a lot of work to start up high-tech incubators out there.

As far as paying for it, CMU probably has a lot of scholorship money available. You should look at the federal aid forms as well. Another school you can try is Cornell. The trick is to apply through the Agriculture School, which is a NYS Land Grant college and significantly cheaper. What I've recently learned is that they use that as a secret way to give athletic scholorships. Since the Ivy's don't do athletic scholorship money, they fake it by getting you in through the Ag school, so your tuition is reduced.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 30, 2004 08:12      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big Congrats to Crazy son of Arlo.... oh wait - that should be Son of Crazy Arlo. [Wink]

I know that for me I didn't really start thinking much about which college until Junior year. Then again - that was when I started getting tons of college recruiting snail mail. Having the good PSAT scores is what attracted that attention. Carnegie Mellon was actually one of my top picks - but I got a really good scholarship at another school so that is where I went. That didn't happen until half way through my senior year so I would say at this point it isn't too much of a worry. I wouldn't have been able to afford where I went either but the private schools seem to have a lot more scholarship programs.

Also - watch those estimates as they might included things that you are already paying for. Think about how much your grocery will go down when he is at school eating the "wonderful" cafeteria food. Dorms suck in a lot of ways - but they were a lot cheaper than apartments for me. And by living on a "quiet" floor and later on getting a room to myself actually made it pretty nice. The great thing about living in the dorms is that you *know* you can find someone at 1am studying what you are. Just by leaving your door open you can make friends which for me was a huge help.

Going to a school that is driveable distance was nice - but having it more than an hour drive was also nice. No parents dropping in unexpectedly but easy enough to drive home for a weekend to meet the girlfriend [Smile]

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 30, 2004 08:25      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
Big Congrats to Crazy son of Arlo.... oh wait - that should be Son of Crazy Arlo. [Wink]

When I was a Boy Scout Leader, I came up with a "Spam Ceremony".....everytime we planned the meals for a campout, I would call out "lets have SPAM!" which made everyone groan....eventually, we brought it, made flags, made headbands with our nicknames on it, and had a Spam ceremony. What does this have anything to do with your post?

My nickname was SPAM MAN
And of course, my son was SON OF SPAM

YIKES!!!! [Wink]

BellaDonna
Geek
Member # 2123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2004 10:11      Profile for BellaDonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do people dislike spam so much (the food not the email)? Get it all nice and crispy on the outside with a side of home fries and you've got a great meal. It's like smores! How can you NOT have smores or spam while camping? That's just sacreligious!

Oh and back to the actual thread topic:

crazyarlo: congrats to your son on finding a job doing what he wants!! Sadly when I got out I took a job just to have steady pay and health insurance and I'm still there, or here actually. But I'll get out someday, even if it's only with a day pass [crazy] .

--------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein

Zari
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2656

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2004 11:12      Profile for Zari         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crazyarlo:
Yahoooooo!!!!!! He graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh in December, with a BS (NOT BFA) in Graphic Design, and we have send HUNDREDS of resumes out...the first interview he has had, and he got the job!!!!

He's a graphic designer....the job is with a major national publisher of children's books and advertising in Columbus, Ohio!!! Yahooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, six more years, my daughter will be out of high school and out of college!!! Then I can get myself some new socks!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

nd who cares? u ppl r sooooo boring. bunch o nerds.
Posts: 1 | From: sumware | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2004 11:23      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zari:

How fucking lame do you have to be to actually register to make a post like you just did. Does your mommmy know you are on the internet? Or is she too busy turning tricks in the back room of the trailer?

Oh, BTW, your IP has been logged. Troll.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 30, 2004 11:47      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[/QUOTE]nd who cares? u ppl r sooooo boring. bunch o nerds. [/QB][/QUOTE]

We are GEEKS, not NERDS thank you!!!

crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2004 11:50      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BellaDonna:
Why do people dislike spam so much (the food not the email)? Get it all nice and crispy on the outside with a side of home fries and you've got a great meal. It's like smores! How can you NOT have smores or spam while camping? That's just sacreligious!

Oh and back to the actual thread topic:

crazyarlo: congrats to your son on finding a job doing what he wants!! Sadly when I got out I took a job just to have steady pay and health insurance and I'm still there, or here actually. But I'll get out someday, even if it's only with a day pass [crazy] .

Good luck on that day pass!! LOL Yeah, I have been "dead ended" at my job, probably be here to retirement. And I agree completely on your assessment of SPAM.....I love it too!!!! BUT...it will NOT catch fire. Trust me.
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 30, 2004 11:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zari:

Uh, what exactly do you expect from a place called geekculture? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture