homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Hi there :) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hi there :)
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2004 23:50      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, it's been a while. Between work and wedding planning, life's been busy. Thought I'd say hello before I might disappear again [Smile]

--------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
http://www.kageneko.net
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15

"Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done."

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
defiant
Geek
Member # 2225

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2004 02:15      Profile for defiant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay! [Smile] You work for LucasArts? [Big Grin] So, 15th it is… nervous?
Posts: 190 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2004 09:24      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you again!

Good luck with the wedding and congratulations!!! Let us know how it turns out. [Smile]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 25, 2004 10:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you already Tied the Knot [Wink]

Congrats!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted April 25, 2004 11:45      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

Apparently weddings, and being newly married rates as high on the stress scale as a death in the family. [Eek!]

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2004 11:59      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2004 14:31      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goodluck for the 15th, and more importantly all happiness and love for your life together thereafter.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2004 18:12      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats on a new stage in your life

[Smile]

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 26, 2004 06:05      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay CG! If you can post here with a smile with three weeks to go, arrangements are probably going well [Smile]

Yours truly makes his contribution to the annals of wedding science on June 26th, everything should come together by then just as long as life doesn't smack our seamstress around (touch wood) [Roll Eyes]

Have a great time!

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2004 14:02      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow hello again

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2004 14:20      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys. Yeah, it's going really well. All we have left is to pay the fortune cookie lady, get my dress back from alterations, and get the marriage license and we're ready to go.

Oh yeah.. and get my hair cut.

Honeymoon is Monterey. Close enough to drive yet far enough away to not be around here [Smile]

Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 26, 2004 21:37      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Con gratz on the wedding!
...I wanna get married [Happytears] ...Evan where are you
[Big Grin]

--------------------
I am not the type of person to do shamless plugging,how dare you
http://freewebs.com/lordofmuffins

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 06:43      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations in advance, CG, hope it's a really great day (and a great marriage, even more importantly!).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 07:08      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope I'm not being nosy, but I have to ask... pay the fortune cookie lady? You're giving out fortune cookies?

Customized fortune cookies. I like that idea.

crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted April 27, 2004 10:51      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! What an amazing and beautiful wedding you have planned....wait a minute...is this what I have to do for my daughter sometime in the future? YIKES!!!!

Congrats and good luck!!!!

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 11:27      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
I hope I'm not being nosy, but I have to ask... pay the fortune cookie lady? You're giving out fortune cookies?

Customized fortune cookies. I like that idea.

Yep. Large chocolate-dipped fortune cookies. I get to pick 10 quotes to randomize inside. They are very very yummy, too.

quote:
Originally posted by crazyarlo:
Wow! What an amazing and beautiful wedding you have planned....wait a minute...is this what I have to do for my daughter sometime in the future? YIKES!!!!

Congrats and good luck!!!!

If it helps, I can tell you I kept the total cost of my wedding under $5000 and (I think) am still managing to keep it a very elegant affair.

--------------------
CyberGoddess

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 11:55      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CyberGoddess:
Yep. Large chocolate-dipped fortune cookies. I get to pick 10 quotes to randomize inside. They are very very yummy, too.

What quotes did you choose?
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 27, 2004 12:27      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say, I am very impressed! All that for under 5K!!!!
Amazing! I have friends who are marrying their kids off, and are paying 9 to 12K, and are not getting what you are getting! Nice job!

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 27, 2004 15:11      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
What quotes did you choose?

Well, I'm waiting for my fiance to approve them, but so far the quotes are:

1. "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." - Aristotle

2. "There is no remedy for love but to love more." - Thoreau

3. "Where there is love there is life." - Gandhi

4. "Friendship often ends in love, but love in friendship - never." - Charles Caleb Colton

5. "There is no instinct like that of the heart." - Lord Byron

6. "Love is something eternal.... The aspect may change, but not the essence." - Vincent van Gogh

7. "To love is not to look at one another, but to look together in the same direction." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

8. "Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt thy love." - from Hamlet

9. "Love is the master key that opens the gates of happiness." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

10. "Love is friendship set to music." - Pollock

Nothing really geeky. Our invitations had the geeky quote... from <i>The Princess Bride</i> [Smile] I was so proud of those.

quote:
Originally posted by crazyarlo:
I must say, I am very impressed! All that for under 5K!!!!
Amazing! I have friends who are marrying their kids off, and are paying 9 to 12K, and are not getting what you are getting! Nice job!

Thanks [Smile] It helps that it's not a huge wedding. I didn't see the point in inviting so many people I wouldn't recognize half of them. It's a rather intimate gathering of family and friends... as I see a wedding as an intimate thing to be shared with those I love the most, not a circus for impressing the entire city. I'm not a fancy, ostentatious person. I like subtle, understated things.

The almost-all-inclusive package at Hornblower helped the most. And the fact that my photographer is a friend of mine who is a student and my videographer is a friend of mine who makes films.

--------------------
CyberGoddess

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 15:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish you the best of luck and all happiness.

*digs through website*

[Eek!] That's so much work!! I don't want a wedding! I want to just go to the courthouse and then skip ahead to the honeymoon!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 22:05      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck CG. Reminds me of my wedding....

*Place settings designed and made between 1am and 4am the day prior
*Dummy spits from various family members over who did and didn't get an invite
*Supporting fiance/wife over spats with parents over veils, ceremony etc
*The sharp pain in the wallet

In those two weeks prior to the wedding, people asked me about doing it themselves and there was only one word that sprang to mind....ELOPE.

(Right now I am sure that Xanthine is going "RIGHT ON" or similar)

However after the wedding it all comes a lot less stressful and you realise that it was all worth it. All the families are still exclaiming how wonderful it was. In addition, we had the best day and we wouldn't go back.

However CG there was one bit of advice that was given to me, and I give it to you know.

NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS, you get married, you don't get married, there is a flood, you get sick - GO ON YOUR HONEYMOON! You will need it to recover.

And then on a lighter note, was it Magic: The Gathering on IRC that got you together, or was there another TLA I am unaware of?

Cheers

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2004 04:17      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At my wedding an old guy came up to me and said "I'll tell you the secret of a long and happy marriage. Get a shed"

He was dead serious, but though I haven't got one yet, I am still married.

My wife's aunt who married just after WW2, just before the ceremony was summoned by her mother saying "I have something very important to tell you".

"Oh no! She's going to start talking to me about sex" thought the bride, but her mother turned and said, "Whatever happens in your life, make sure of one thing. Never ever iron your bed linen yourself." She was married for 55 years, but I am uncertain as to whether she followed this precept.

Anyone know any other advice we should pass on to Mr & Mrs CG to ensure a long and happy union?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2004 04:56      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Anyone know any other advice we should pass on to Mr & Mrs CG to ensure a long and happy union?

Get a shed. [Wink]

Some ideas here

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2004 10:52      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I wish you the best of luck and all happiness.

*digs through website*

[Eek!] That's so much work!! I don't want a wedding! I want to just go to the courthouse and then skip ahead to the honeymoon!

It really wasn't that much work, to be honest. Hornblower handled most of it for me [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Elvermere:
And then on a lighter note, was it Magic: The Gathering on IRC that got you together, or was there another TLA I am unaware of?

It was, indeed, a Magic: the Gathering channel that we first met in. It wasn't until much later on some forums that we really got farther than acquaintances with crushes. I didn't play M:tG anymore at the time we met, but I used to and strangely enough an ex dragged me into the channel (and then he disappeared and left me there).

--------------------
CyberGoddess

Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2004 22:19      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, nothing like a common interest to spark a relationship.

But I've only posted because I have just about laughed my head off with regard to your sig CG. That is SOOO true ;-)

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture