homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Punny Business Names (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Punny Business Names
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 17:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you may have noticed I like a pun now and then.

The other day I was watching 3 guys with chainsaws trimming back a very large tree. The name on the side of their truck
"Tree Wise Men"

I got home, and read about a ferry that takes people from England to Spain for cheap dental treatment, it's called "The Tooth Ferry"

Anyone know of any other punny business names?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 6 posted April 16, 2004 19:28      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.interestingideas.com/roadside/names/names.htm My favorite is the bunghole liquors [Razz]
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 23:18      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a resturaunt in Budapest (I think) called;

The Marquis de Salade

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2004 00:25      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"They say" - or at least this site does - that hairdressers are the worst offenders...

http://www.jimwegryn.com/names/Barbershops.htm

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2004 11:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me still laughs when he walks by the restaurant in Boulder called "La Mariposa." [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2004 16:39      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a lesbian plumber (an absolute sweetheart by the way) who calls her business "U Benders".

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2004 17:44      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you 'use' her for?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2004 17:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
What do you 'use' her for?

I imagine he has her clean his pipes out.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2004 18:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, sometimes the dragon makes me smile. Other times he makes me giggle, and other times he makes me fall off my chair in hysterical laughter. On very rare occassions, he makes my mouth drop open and my eyes bug out. This is one of those rare times.
[Eek!]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2004 18:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me hugs the lab rat... [Smile]

Yeah, I was talking to her when she read that, and her comment was, "Who are you, and what have you done with my dragon?" [Razz]

Oh well, I get to have a bit of fun with my posts every so often.

The thing is, the way that post is written, it is semantically correct - it is only how it's interpreted [Big Grin] .

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 18, 2004 02:50      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a hair dresser in a suburb near where I live called "The best little hair house".

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 04:47      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my mother knew a piano tuner named Mr. Opernockity. His motto was 'Opurnockity tunes but once'. i don't know if i have the spelling of his name correct. really. true.
Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 04:57      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/hey-U hugs dm97 and X "awwww, you guys..."
/blushes furiously
/runs away

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 18, 2004 08:43      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Near where I used to live, I used to see a van belonging to a firm of caterers for film sets (or something like that) called 'Little Red Courgette'....
Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
dankow
Newbie Larva
Member # 2542

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 19:12      Profile for dankow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
/me still laughs when he walks by the restaurant in Boulder called "La Mariposa." [Razz]

I must be really slow today... Why is that funny???

It's a pretty good restaurant though, as far as Mexican restaurants in Boulder go.

Posts: 7 | From: Boulder, CO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 20:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dankow:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

I must be really slow today... Why is that funny???

You're not the only one, I was thinking perhaps it was some 'merkin in-joke, but maybe not.

OK, so unless my Spanish is even more rusty than I thought, mariposa == butterfly. Still not seeing the humour.

Is this some subtle Spanish double-etendre? (or should that be 'significa doble' ?)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 20:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you need to know actually Spanish-speaking people to get it [Wink] .

There is no question that it means, "the butterfly," but it definitely holds another meaning [Razz] .

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 20:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that a caterpillar in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?

Corrr, look at the wings on that one, she can share my cocoon any time!

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 20:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mariposa" has the same connotations for Latin Americans as "fairy" has for North Americans.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2004 01:53      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this one I nicked from Dilbert, and it is not stricly a pun, but apparantly the best name for a business is "Uanus hertz"

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2004 06:51      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stayed at 'Hotel Kuntz' in Paris once. I stole a wad of headed notepaper for my own churlish amusement.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2004 11:45      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a hardware store in my town a called "The Tool Box," which always makes me laugh. And sometimes they play disco music late at night. Hmmm....

This isn't punny, but it's amusing. I once saw a repossession company's van with their logo, The Grinch. It was around Christmastime too.

Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 19, 2004 12:04      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a gay nightclub in Monroe, Louisiana called the Bangkok. I know thats not original, but everytime I hear it I laugh my arse off.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2004 16:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
There's a gay nightclub in Monroe, Louisiana called the Bangkok. I know thats not original, but everytime I hear it I laugh my arse off.

Sooooo, how 'bout that arse pic (now that you mentioned it)

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 02:23      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:

Sooooo, how 'bout that arse pic (now that you mentioned it)
Dude - you could at least wait until she gets it sewn back on. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture