homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Went to the bookstore today...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Went to the bookstore today...
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 12, 2004 16:19      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to Borders Books...damn, I could go broke in that place [Wink]

Anyway, Came across this book and was quite amused...

"Writing secure code" by Microsoft Press

Quote on front of book, "Required reading for all of our employees -Bill Gates"

Restraining my laughter was not an option...got a few funny looks but what the heck... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2004 16:28      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent a day in a cafe` the other day, that was connected to a book store, I laughed at the covers of a bunch of books.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2004 22:41      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah...my personal favorites are the eye candy books up near the counter (or better yet, the instore Starbucks) that have titles like, "How to be an Urban Hipster". Who buys that crap? And why can't I write stuff like that and make some money? [Razz]
Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2004 22:51      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went in there not to long ago woth my dad and tried to convince him to buy a book.He hasn't read in awhile because he has been to clogged down with work and things.He refused to get a book but paid for my new book "The most evil men and women in history"(it's great by the way).i found my book missing for awhile then came home today and found him on the couch reading it.

--------------------
I am not the type of person to do shamless plugging,how dare you
http://freewebs.com/lordofmuffins

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2004 22:56      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Katie, what kinds of things is your dad interested in? Maybe I could recommend some titles, if you two ever return to the bookstore. I am in love with Tim O'Brien's work and got my father into his stuff as well, mostly because O'Brien writes a lot about his experiences in Vietnam and my dad too was a vet.

--------------------
Is there any tea on this spaceship?

Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2004 23:01      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hhhhmm we read basically the samethings(unless it's about computers) but I would think anything from Death and destruction to microbology.Basically the Shiva reader.

--------------------
I am not the type of person to do shamless plugging,how dare you
http://freewebs.com/lordofmuffins

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 07:05      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the comic shop and bought manwah (spelling? not sure... anyway, it's Korean manga). Does that count as being in a book store? [Wink]
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 07:17      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've just opened a 'Borders' in Speke (Liverpool) - I've been frequenting the place quite often - before the locals nick it. I'm a sucker for lounging around on their comfy sofas with a behemoth coffee, perusing some nerd tome or other. The only trouble with this store is its location - you have to run the gauntlet of mouth-breathers back to your car, as folk here have been known to tie those they think can read to burning stakes.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 08:10      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... and then think yourself lucky that some scally hasn't nicked your car while you've been gone.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 08:18      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
... and then think yourself lucky that some scally hasn't nicked your car while you've been gone.

The trick is to not park anywhere near 'PoundStretcher', or Argos, or 'Shell Suits R Us'.

--------------------

Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 08:20      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, spungo, try the borders in cheshire oaks, the mouth breathers tend not to be able to get that far on their horse and carts. [Wink]

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 08:34      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alephcat:
hey, spungo, try the borders in cheshire oaks, the mouth breathers tend not to be able to get that far on their horse and carts. [Wink]

Yeah, I used to go there all the time - then one day I found - to my unadulterated horror - that they had closed the coffee shop to refurbish it - and there wasn't any kind of temporary replacement - I would have had to walk somewhere if I wanted a coffee! So, out of principle, I have made a note never to go back... also, Speke is closer. [Wink]

As for the horse and carts - reminds me of Royston Vasey - "Look, he hath travelled over new road on carriage-of-no-horse-drawn!"

--------------------

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 13, 2004 10:34      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was upset because I went to Liverpool for an interview and didn't see a single shell suit, moustache or afro. I felt that I should have had a refund on my train fare!
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2004 11:44      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
They've just opened a 'Borders' in Speke (Liverpool) - I've been frequenting the place quite often - before the locals nick it. I'm a sucker for lounging around on their comfy sofas with a behemoth coffee, perusing some nerd tome or other.

**phew** For a minute there, I thought you were going to say you actually bought a book there, and I was worried it was some imposter posting as you. [Razz] [Wink]

Just kidding!

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2004 11:51      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or worse - that he actually *read* a book...
[evil]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2004 13:17      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo! Borders rules!

One just opened in Swindon (Underage pregnancy capital of the world!) which is quite cool. Comedy, manga, and computer sections are my haunts... [Razz] If you go anywhere near there makes sure your phone has bluetooth set to hide... [Wink]

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 01:37      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

As for the horse and carts - reminds me of Royston Vasey - "Look, he hath travelled over new road on carriage-of-no-horse-drawn!"

just out of interest did you know that the "real" Royston Vasey is Hatfield nr. Manchester

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 02:55      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or even 'Hadfield'. [Wink] Yeah, I drove through there not long ago - very picturesque. The local butchers will sell you sausages made with 'special stuff'.

Did you where they got the name 'Royston Vasey' from? It's Roy 'Chubby' Brown's real name.

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 16, 2004 04:08      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
[evil]

Oh, no-you know Spungo. It's much more surprising if he actually put out money for something... [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 04:17      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
[evil]

Oh, no-you know Spungo. It's much more surprising if he actually put out money for something... [Razz] [Wink]
That's not true. Why, just the other week I had to fork out for some new Y-fronts (my other pair mysteriously crumbled into pieces when I took them down to the workshop for their annual scrape).

--------------------

cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 09:49      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That's not true. Why, just the other week I had to fork out for some new Y-fronts (my other pair mysteriously crumbled into pieces when I took them down to the workshop for their annual scrape).

nice to know that you're still donating protein to the soup kitchen

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2004 07:56      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
quote:

nice to know that you're still donating protein to the soup kitchen
Mmm... they make the best crab stew. [Smile]
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 19, 2004 11:32      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went in a bookstore this past weekend to look for a birthday present and almost went broke myself. In additioin to the b-day present, I picked up a copy of Holy Blood Holy Grail that I've been meaning to get forever. Anyone read it?

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture