homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The big(unwanted)move

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The big(unwanted)move
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 03, 2004 09:01      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,I just found out that my father(the only relative I am close to)is going to South Korea for military duty for a year.So inturn we have to move to Florida and live in a apartment until he returns.We are going to Florida because my Mom's side of the family lives there.I have never met more than 2 of them and as for my brother and mom I bearly know them either.My friends here in Arizona are what I consider my real family.I won't even be able to spend the summer with them since we are moving a week after graduation.I really don't know what to do or think.Help! [Frown]

--------------------
I am not the type of person to do shamless plugging,how dare you
http://freewebs.com/lordofmuffins

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 03, 2004 09:15      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh sorry,I got a pm that reminded me of one detail I forgot.I have lived with my mom my entire life but have never really been close

--------------------

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2004 11:18      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see two possible path of action.

1 - Fight nail and teeth to stay in Arizona, and that may mean taking a job so you can pay rent, utilities and food. You will find out this will greatly limit the time you can spend with your friends, but it may be a good experience.

2 - Give yourself a (honest) chance to get to know your relatives. And in my opinion, this is what you should do. Friendships evolve, change and ofter disapear, especially high school ones. But family is a fact you can't change: you have to live with it for the rest of your life. You know, you may just find out some of them to be great friends!

In any way, good luck.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
aberrantgeek
Geek
Member # 2336

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2004 11:27      Profile for aberrantgeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah I have never been really close with any of my family members either but my cousins are at least kind of cool.

--------------------
"Everyone's life sucks" -Jerry Seinfield

AIM SN=aberrantgeek

Posts: 106 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2004 11:44      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my family has known about my exsitence for 13 years and has made no attemp of contact so I am not really fond of them.And as for friendships changing and family forever I don't really belive that fore in the event my friends do change we have known each other so long and care so much we could help eaqch other overcome nearly anything.Sure you can't pick your (biological) family but it doesn't mean you have to treat them as family.

--------------------

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2004 14:00      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, there aren't too many options for 14 year olds (if the birthdate in your profile is accurate) in this situation -- you can fight to stay in Arizona, but that means you would have to sue for emancipation. This can be a very dicey process, and expensive (it does involve lawyers, after all). Plus, as Stereo mentioned, you would have to find a job, an apartment, pay bills, cook, do laundry and dishes and vacuum and all that other crap that no one ever wants to do. Not fun.

To avoid all the legal hassles, you could try talking to your friends and mom about an interim solution -- maybe staying with a friend's family for part of the summer, and then moving down to Florida when the school year starts. Or, if it's a short tour (3 or 6 months), maybe staying with a friend until it's over. This is something that you will have to discuss with your mom, though.

If she vetoes that (which, I'm sorry to say, she probably will), you'll really just have to make the best of the move. Moving sucks, but it happens sometimes. Try to keep in contact with your friends, and try to make some new ones down there. Also remember (and this is the hardest part) that moving's hard on everyone. Your mom and brother probably don't want to do this, either. I don't know much about your family situation, but talking to them about it can't hurt. This might even bring you closer (it sounds so cliched, but it's true).

At the very least, this doesn't sound like a permanent move, so you'll be back in Arizona eventually. Keep that in mind, count the days if you have to, and good luck.

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 04, 2004 19:55      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shall count the days and wittle....yes wittle

--------------------

Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2004 15:31      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Katie:
I shall count the days and wittle....yes wittle

a stake? if so please keep it away from me, I tend to be alergic to that sort of think [Wink]

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 05, 2004 20:46      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Flashfire on this one. Stay with a friend of you can, otherwise make the best of it. Dare I say that this is the kind of thing that sending military persons all over the world does, and I can;t see how it's right. I'm hoping for the best for you and yours Katie.

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture