homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » April Fool

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: April Fool
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 00:45      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
look, i don't know wtf is going on here so let me widen the target area a little.

anyone else think this *must* be an april fool

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3588465.stm

or have i got *that* wrong too?

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 00:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me purposefully scoured about the RFC sites* to find the, ahem, latest Informational bulletin, which, as it turns out is this:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3751.html

Man, I look forward to implmenting that on our network... [Big Grin]

*I wonder how many times that will hit /. today - I remember it was a running gag on dupes (RFC 3514 was shown as a new story at least 4 times).

Edit: *grin* Ahh, I just sent that through the network print @ 3 AM - that'll leave a nice treat for my coworkers, if they figure it out (and assuming they don't just assume that it's mine and leave it on my desk).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 00:57      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
look, i don't know wtf is going on here so let me widen the target area a little.

...and... wait! that's no moon!

http://www.google.com/jobs/lunar_job.html

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 01:03      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, good old April Fools day.

One of our Sydney papers ran a story today on how someone had managed to regenerate a Tasmanian Tiger (now extinct) via DNA, ala Jurassic Park. I didn't click until I started looking for the story online, and it wasn't there.

But then there was a story from a few months back that someone was going to try to do it, so maybe I had that in the back of my mind.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 01:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Age (Melbourne) ran an ad from Mini with a photoshopped pic of a Mini on Mars, and a BS story about them being chosen to build a vehicle for GWBs mission to Mars.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 01:44      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This story also appeared in The Metro (newspaper) this morning, making it more wide spread than just the BBC webpages - gives it a little more credability...
Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 02:47      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone seen fark today? Hehe [Big Grin]

Edit: There's a few different ones, try hitting refresh a few times (possibly with a little time in between).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 07:46      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek's page is good. http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/index.html

Examples: Voyager gets lost because of Ensign Gilligan...Klingon Eye For The Human Guy...The TNG music album, Let It Be...NakedNow, with songs such as Don't Beam Me Down, I Dig A Targ...And the opening of Trekland! [Big Grin]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 07:53      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can testify to the fact that chickens are more than capable of keeping one warm. But this isn't even news - I've been using chickens to heat my missile for years.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 11:25      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What in the world is this April Fools thing?

Happy New Year!!

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 12:20      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate April Fool's Day. The one day a year when every boorish horse-toothed jackass pulls out their "best gag" to pull on everyone.
Now I completely understand why I'm not allowed to have a gun at work. [Wink]

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 12:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear God, that's the call you never want to hear...

*tones drop*
EMS dispatch to <insert agency>. This is a Priority 1 response. <insert police agency> is on the scene. Request for an ambulance for the shooting at the 911 center. <insert address> Number of victims is unknown. This is a Priority 1 response. EMS dispatch to <insert agency>.
*radio squack*

/me shudders

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 12:53      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Eh, that's not nearly as weird as the Incindiery Bat Bomb story -- which actually happened, there is documented evidence.

I would post a link but I am far to lazy to go out and find one. [Razz]

--Flash, ain't DARPA great?

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 14:56      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The past 4 April fools have been great for me! I got married April 1, 2000 [Big Grin]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2004 15:43      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents got divorced April 1, 2003. Strange day it was...

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 19:10      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The past 4 April fools have been great for me! I got married April 1, 2000
Or so she would have you think. [crazy] [crazy]
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture