homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The worst thing to say to a parent is... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The worst thing to say to a parent is...
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2004 07:40      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday started as a quite lovely day... Xanthine is in the city visiting her Dragon... we meet for lunch... and my cell phone rings. I see it's my old-enough-to-be-home-alone son calling, so I answer quickly.

"Mom, the house is on fire!"

I do not need to express the panic I felt. VJ said it was something on the stove, so I told him to grab a pot from the drain board and douse whatever it was. While he was doing so, I borrowed D'Man's cell and called my mother to tell her to go right over (it would have taken me an hour to get there). When VJ got back on the line, he told me he'd put the toaster on the stove instead of putting it on counter when using it, but somehow the burner under it had been turned on (he could have brushed against it, or the cat could have done it, doesn't matter). The fire was out and VJ was safe, but the toaster was toast. Mom arrived and said the situation was under control. I breathed a deep sigh of relief.

So... Xanthine, D'Man and I continued on and met JessyCat for a bit. I still worried, so I cut my evening short (cancelled other plans) to return home and see for myself. There is a thin layer of melted plastic on my stove and I have to replace the toaster of course, but everything is ok.

While with X and D'Man, we had a laugh over what might be the most horrific phrases a teenager can say to a parent/the worse calls a parent can get. I think VJ's ranks near the top. I thought it would make a funny thread to throw that out on the boards.

What are the worst things a teenager can say, or a parent can get?

Come on Gang, help me laugh about this.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2004 08:29      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mom, where is the baking soda? I kinda made a mess with the batteries.."
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2004 08:54      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> The worst thing to say to a parent is...

What do you mean I'm NOT adopted?

Sorry to hear about the toaster btw, I'd personally recomend the following 'King of toasters' (IMHO of course) Tefal Avanti Hi-speed. Also available in 4 slice format

-

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 14, 2004 08:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grey_girl... whoa, what a heart-stopper!

So glad you were a Neil Armstrong and were able to remain calm and that things worked out fine... yow... scary stuff.

almost as scary as this...

"Mom, Dad, ... I'm dating a Dragon!"
[Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2004 09:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Razz] to you Snaggy.

I think I almost killed my mom with the "J and are at at Camp Muir. We fell yesterday...we're okay, we're okay, we're okay!"

Others that we came up with yesterday:

The cops said I should call you.

Mom, she's pregnant.

Mom, I tested positive.

Hey Mom, remember the car?

Mom, there's something sticking out of my leg.

And here's one I came up with just now: Mom, I was riding my bike and there was this bus....

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2004 09:22      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah... So we were sailing, and then... remember that storm that moved in yesterday?
(Next time I'll use a better weather forcast [Wink] )
I think the way i put it was more like...

"So the funniest thing happened to me today. I was teaching a sailing lesson, then all of a sudden the wind picked up, a storm moved in, the boat swamped and submarined, and then I had to bail it out with a milk carton so that we didn't lose the boat!"

Which reminds me of this other time, when my boss (the director of the sailing program) and I were hauling a boat from his house down to the dock, and his son was teaching a lesson to the nephew of the guy that funds most of our operations in my boss' big blue daysailor. We were driving down the road, and there's this big scenic overpass, where you can see the lake. We expected to see the sails, etc. Instead, we just saw a big blue thing sticking up (the bottom of the boat)! The look on his face was absolutely classic

SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 00:40      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, the thing that always freaked my parents out the most was starting a sentence with "Don't panic, but..."
Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 02:47      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about "Mom, I'm in jail, can you find me a lawyer?" My son is only 3, so I know I have many more gray hairs coming.

Although the worst was my oldest brother's experience, his youngest son fell into a river and was missing. The horror of that is something I couldn't, and don't want to imagine.

I think the worst call for my mother (from me, anyway) was "Hi mom, I got shot at, but the bullet missed my head by a couple inches, so it's ok."

And the one call I never made, to tell her that I was getting deployed to Saudi Arabia, she didn't know until I got back where I had been. My best friend and I laugh about it now, because he also was in the Gulf, and she kept writing me about how worried she was about him. Needless to say, she was not very pleased when I did tell her.

Grey_girl, your son seems to have handled the situation well. May I suggest getting an extra extinguisher for the kitchen?

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 03:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Postcard from Africa...

"Mum, today I found out what gorilla fur feels like..."

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
BellaDonna
Geek
Member # 2123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 15, 2004 04:25      Profile for BellaDonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hey mom, guess who's married?"

I was 20 when this happened, so technically not a teenager, but man was she pissed when she heard that.

--------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 04:41      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me: Can I have some painkillers? My tongue hurts.
Mum: Why?
Me: I've had it pierced.

Hey I didn't think it was so bad, but I'm sure my parents think it is the worst thing I've ever said to them.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 04:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mum - the puppy split again."

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 04:56      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:

That's gross on so many levels; nice one [Wink]
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 05:00      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BellaDonna:

I was 20 when this happened, so technically not a teenager, but man was she pissed when she heard that.

s/married/pregnant

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 05:13      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:

I like a similar one I found in an flash cartoon I found the other day
"did not find one you liked?"
"No, they [about 6 hamsters] were all broken."
"okay.... hang on, what did she say?"
(sounds of throwing up)

also another good one in that vein from the book Grunts if I remember correctly.
"pass me another elf Sarge, this one's split"

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 06:03      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as my kids are able to call me, there is nothing they can say that's really that bad. It's when someone else has to call for them that you should really worry.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
BellaDonna
Geek
Member # 2123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 06:05      Profile for BellaDonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby
quote:
Originally posted by BellaDonna

s/married/pregnant

Ok, I'm confused. What's the "s" for?

--------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 06:15      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It be a geek thing. Pattern substitution.

--------------------

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 06:21      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wondered that too. I just assumed it was something obscure like you get in the personals. s/m/ns/gsoh. or houses. GCH/DG/EP/BIW
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
BellaDonna
Geek
Member # 2123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 06:35      Profile for BellaDonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
littlefish, yeah that's what I thought, but single/married/pregnant just didn't make sense to me.

--------------------
- Albert Einstein

Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 09:42      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well single could work if you were married

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 15:05      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Mom i was teh guy who got married to Britney Spears'

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 16, 2004 00:09      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom was frying tortillas one day and she got mad at me and my brother and started yelling at us in the living room and the toster was reflecting something so I told my mom,
"Mom, the kitchen's on fire"
and she didn't believe me until my brother said,
"Mom, really, the kitchen's on fire"
and she didn't turn around until she heard the smoke detector. (Kind of her fault) [Big Grin]
Some other things that shocked my mom:
"Mom, I'm in a hotel with a guy I know, he won't try anything wierd, just let me come home in a couple of days"
"I'm at the gas station, please pick me up, I'm scared"
"Who are you?" (I had done some drugs)
"I got raped, mom"
"I can't take this anymore!" (I had a gun in my hand)
My mom's put up with a lot from me and my bro, but she's always been there for us. Hopefully, the next shocking thing I tell her is "I've cleaned my room, fed the cat, and I'm off to buy you a ring!"

--Maybe, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2004 06:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, my Mom's had to put up with a lot, too. When I was only three weeks old I phoned her up once, after I'd been gone for days: "Mom - I'm in a motel in Beirut with a giant chicken - and he's got an AK47 - and I've caught some horrible, fatal illness from Jeffrey Dahmer from when he forcibly molesterated me when I was still a foetus, and now I'm gonna stab myself with this spoon, and... "

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 16, 2004 07:16      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mom, I'm going to England to stay with people i've never met before. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture