homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Teaching English in Asia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teaching English in Asia?
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 11, 2004 06:25      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who is going to China for a year to teach English. He will have all expenses paid for, and room and board, and good salary. And he'll be in China!! I have another friend who went to Japan to teach English, and apparently loves it.
I am thinking about doing the same. My prospects for grad school are dim, and this sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Does anyone here know of someone who has done this teaching program or has done it themselves?

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2004 06:44      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know someone who went to Taiwan, and someone else who went to Japan, but I can't give you details on how the application process works. I do know they enjoyed the experience.

I say GO FOR IT!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted March 11, 2004 08:21      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are still a few jobs around that haven't been out-sourced to Asia, so we need to train them to take the remaining jobs. Teaching them English will be a good start.

Once the entire job market has been moved abroad, the economy here will collapse and Asia will start out-sourcing to Europe. At which time I might be in the running for getting a respectable job (except I will only be paid a couple of quid a day for doing it).

Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2004 08:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...but like the Murphy's, he's not bitter. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 11, 2004 12:44      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All you need for the program is a bachelor's degree. I think it sounds awesome!

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2004 12:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend went to China on that deal a while back, the pay was not as good as he'd been promised, the classes were grossly under-resourced, and he spend lots of time battling ureaucracy after they fscked up his visa arrangements.

On a more positive note, he returned to oz with a very nice chinese wife.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2004 12:58      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was offered to teach english in Japan, but I turned it down. My Japanese is far too bad.

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2004 13:03      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend teaches English in South Korea, he's been there for 4 years. What I gathered from him is that you can and should try to negotiate your contract, he did after 1 year and got a bunch more money. Japan is OK to teach, most of the money is in teaching business-oriented language, with some work in after-school tutoring. My wife has suggested that I do it, since we have a free place to live, but I don't want to leave the job I have now. Maybe someday, after I retire from this job.
I'd say go for it, and do it when and while you can.

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2004 13:11      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
id say go for it, i too want to try something like that when im done with college or still in college

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2004 14:49      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
All you need for the program is a bachelor's degree. I think it sounds awesome!

Err...stupid question:

Do you speak Chinese? It does sound like an absolutely awesome opportunity, but (speaking from experience) living in a country where you don't speak the language can be quite lonely.

Of course, if the job's in Hong Kong or Kowloon then that won't be much of a problem -- 158 years of British rule did have a bit of an impact there (i.e. - all the street signs are in English and Chinese).

Good luck, I hope things work out. [Smile]

--Flash

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2004 15:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's an idea that has potential. There's certainly a great need there, and not only in those countries mentioned. And it's not uncommon for foreign guys to be highly sought after for relationships, either, if he's likely to be interested in that (although not with the students would obviously be a good idea).

From my own experience, I spent about three months in Thailand, and part of that time was doing some voluntary English teaching in high schools. It was fantastic, the kids were nice, and much better behaved than the ones here. In one school, where we only spent a day there, by the end the students were literally mobbing us for autographs after classes, and were all crowded by the gate crying as we were leaving. At another school, as soon as one Thai teacher found out that I was attached (my wife was on the same trip, so that didn't take long), she asked if I knew any other guys who weren't, and asked me to mention her to them if I did.

I suspect that there would be differences between short term and long term teaching, but from what I've seen, I'd say go for it!

Edit: Having been to a few SE Asian countries, there seemed to be a difference in the general level of English of people you came across. So, in terms of best overall to worst I'd rank them

Cambodia -> Laos -> Vietnam -> Thailand

Just my opinion, of course.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 12, 2004 05:48      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you speak Chinese? It does sound like an absolutely awesome opportunity, but (speaking from experience) living in a country where you don't speak the language can be quite lonely.
Well, actually Japan is the country I'm aiming for. All of the programs I have looked at stress the fact that no knowledge of the native language (i.e. Japanese) is necessary. And since there will be other American teachers teaching English there also, we would have opportunity to make new friends and converse with people of our native country. I certainly intend to study Japanese anyway if this comes together for me.
I have filled out the online application for 2 of the programs, so I should hear pretty soon whether I have a chance of being accepted or not [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture