homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » You've come a long way, baby (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: You've come a long way, baby
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 14:34      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nitro & Snaggy,

ARJ here typing in from the antipodes. Haven't been around the forums in ages, but WeirdArms alerted me that there were new AY2K comics so I had to come back for a peek.

I hope you two are still groovy. As for me, back to work! :whipcrack: I have to pay for my move to Sydney.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 14, 2004 14:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
W H O A !

wow... ARJ YAY!!!

and your Legendary Mythical Too Good to Be True 1001th post!!!!

great to have you back... and so great to hear you're in Sydney. [Smile]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 15:40      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back to the forums! (can't remember if I was posting when you were last here)

Enjoy your time in Sydney, and don't work too hard [Smile]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 16:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Enjoy your time in Sydney

<troll>
Is that possible?
</troll>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 16:30      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

<troll>
Is that possible?
</troll>

Don't make me come down there! [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 18:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

<troll>
Is that possible?
</troll>

Don't make me come down there! [Big Grin]
Typical arrogant Sydney-sider !
Come on, 'ave a go ya mug !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 18:55      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arrogant Sydney-sider? Try arrogant Melbournite, that's practically a tautology.

For the benefit of our international readers, there's quite a longstanding rivalry between Sydney and Melbourne, if you haven't picked that up already. In fact, the reason that the capital (Canberra) isn't one of the two is that people couldn't agree which it should be, so they made a new capital in the middle of nowhere[1] to settle the dispute.

[1] Canberra is it's own territory, but is physically contained within the state of New South Wales.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 19:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Arrogant Sydney-sider? Try arrogant Melbournite, that's practically a tautology.

For the benefit of our international readers, there's quite a longstanding rivalry between Sydney and Melbourne, if you haven't picked that up already. In fact, the reason that the capital (Canberra) isn't one of the two is that people couldn't agree which it should be, so they made a new capital in the middle of nowhere[1] to settle the dispute.

[1] Canberra is it's own territory, but is physically contained within the state of New South Wales.

Of course, Australias first capital was Melbourne, but that meant we had too many Sydney-siders coming down here for the parliamentary sittings, whining all the time and frightening the horses, so we moved the capital to keep them at an acceptable distance.
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 19:19      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, no [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 20:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back ARJ!

Are all Aussies as silly as the pair hanging around here? [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 21:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Welcome back ARJ!

Are all Aussies as silly as the pair hanging around here? [Razz]

DON'T YOU START !!!!!
BLOODY YANKS !

Lets see,
Quebecois: check
Sydney-scum: check
Yanks: check.

/me wanders off to pick a fight with some Germans now. [Wink]

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 15, 2004 02:25      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, well, well, lookie here an ARJ, looks like it is the week for us oldie to come back [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Razz] .

Come a long way from Seattle and the first days of Geekculture.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 06:34      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOOF! ARJ and Swiss posting in one thread, in 2004?

Almost feels like the good old days!

Hope the year finds you well ARJ, and WA as well. Place isn't the same without you guys.

(SPOOKY ASIDE: I was going through an old images folder just last night and ran into a couple pics from the old ARJCam. Hadn't seen them since you left. Coincindence? I THINK NOT! End of Aside)

=DB

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 07:46      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, Arj! We've missed you.
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 15, 2004 07:52      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WB!!

Wow, lots of people posting in from Australia recently!

Way cool [Smile]

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted January 15, 2004 10:33      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old days? Hey! I resemble that remark.

Howdy Roceal! Howdy WierdLimbs!

*also waves to Swissy*

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 12 posted January 15, 2004 12:49      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Goodness...

It's making me feel like a complete n00b*. At least I married into the hundreds, right. [Wink]

Jess

* For TFD et al., please replace the word n00b with "new person here" to make it grammatically and aestheically pleasing if it offends.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 12:57      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me does a double take

ok whew for a minute I thought I stepped into a time warp or something.

Welcome back to the forums ARJ and Swiss.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 13:58      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
ok whew for a minute I thought I stepped into a time warp or something.

It's just a jump to the left
And then a step to the right
With your hands on your hips
You bring your knees in tight
But it's the pelvic thrust
That really drives you insane
Let's do the Time Warp again
Let's do the Time Warp again
</Rocky>

Welcome back ARJ! I don't quite rightly remember you, I must've joined after you took your leave of absence, or perhaps just shortly before. Heh... makes me feel like a NooB! But, welcome back anyway.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 15:24      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, an old fart superblabbermouth reunion. Hi Swissy, hi DB. Hope you're all well! (DB-- I am still using that little ol' iBook).

Oh, and I haven't been to Melbourne yet. If I wanted rain, I would have stayed in Seattle. [Razz] [Wink]

I'll stick with the beach, thank you. And yes, most Aussies I've met are pretty mental and they all love to argue. About everything. But genially.

OK, enough goofing off, I have perl to compose.

--------------------

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 15:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ARJ:
Yay, an old fart superblabbermouth reunion. Hi Swissy, hi DB. Hope you're all well! (DB-- I am still using that little ol' iBook).

Oh, and I haven't been to Melbourne yet. If I wanted rain, I would have stayed in Seattle. [Razz] [Wink]

Bloody yanks, come over here, steal our jobs, steal our women!

A quick look at the facts on the weather bureau web site will show the 'Rainy Melbourne' story to be a complete pack of lies invented by jealous Sydney people. Sydney gets far more rain than Melbourne.

And the women down here are far more beautiful.

And the housing cheaper.

And the coffee better.

And the restaurants.

And the pubs.

Need I go on?

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 16:13      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ARJ:
And yes, most Aussies I've met are pretty mental and they all love to argue

<python>No we don't!</python>

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 16:24      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Need I go on?

Wow, you seem really keen to justify Melbourne. Feeling a bit insecure down there, are we?
[evil]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 16:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The actual number of inches of rain is a deceptive number. Seattle gets as much rain as Washington, D.C., but it seems wetter. Why? Becasue in DC the rain comes down in a day as a giant shower. In Seattle, it's a constant week long drip. That may be what's going on with Melbourne vs. Sydney too.

I used to live in Seattle. In the winter, I'd be surprised to see the sun. Now I live in Boulder, and am surprised to see the clouds.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 16:39      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bloody yanks, come over here, steal our jobs, steal our women!
Hey, just 'cause I live in Newtown doesn't mean I swing that way. I'm quite content in my heterosexual relationship, thank you. [Wink]

quote:
Sydney gets far more rain than Melbourne.
That's so, but according to this site Melbourne does get a larger number of rainy days and is the least sunny major Australian metropolis. I cede to your pedantry, though: Sydney gets more rain than Melbourne. I'll still take more sunny days over lower volumes of precipitation.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture