homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » DigitalBill reportedly going kiltless to ScreenSavers show!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DigitalBill reportedly going kiltless to ScreenSavers show!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 05, 2004 14:36      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got word that DigitalBill will NOT, i repeat NOT be wearing his kilt as he interviews Leo Laporte, then afterwards, makes an appearance on The Screen Savers show.

I don't know about you, but I am shocked. [Big Grin]

stay tuned... this is breaking news.... DB is on in an hour....

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 8 posted January 05, 2004 14:40      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ridiculous!

So what if he looks like Patrick's biggest fanboy?

He has to represent!

Next thing we hear he will be using the snap and boxers.

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 05, 2004 16:25      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not as shocked as the audience when they see a naked DB. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted January 05, 2004 16:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is the only explaination as to why they were so afraid to show the audience.

oh man, no DB on Tech TV!! [cry baby]

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 11 posted January 05, 2004 18:58      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Just got word that DigitalBill will NOT, i repeat NOT be wearing his kilt as he interviews Leo Laporte, then afterwards, makes an appearance on The Screen Savers show.

I don't know about you, but I am shocked. [Big Grin]

stay tuned... this is breaking news.... DB is on in an hour....

I'm stunned. I... I... I think I have to have some silent time right now to absorb this...

[Razz]

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2004 19:38      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So he wasn't on... but I saw the pictures of him + patrick
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 12 posted January 05, 2004 22:04      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How fanboyish did he look?

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 12 posted January 05, 2004 22:25      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet if he'd worn the kilt, he would've been on...

[Big Grin]

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2004 22:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Mae West>
Is that a mini-iPod in your sporran, or are you just pleased to see me?
</Mae West>

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 01:24      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I'll address this, albeit briefly as I have to get up in 4 hours to get in line for the keynote...

I was wearling the kilt all day today, with the intention of wearing it to TSS. As I thought about it, and my reason for going (to do a professional interview with Leo), it gradually became clear that this wasn't the day to make my first impression with the kilt. I'm not defined by the the kilt (any more than Patrick is), and I wanted my impression to be more professional and less "oh, he's wearing a kilt to be like Pat" which is never the case. I wear a kilt because I want to, or don't, because I'm free to do either. I made this decision the same way you might decide that if you're going to meet the grandson of Henry Ford, you might want to wear something nicer that flipflops and a tank top THE FIRST TIME, and gauge your furture responses and interactions based on that first meeting.

Hence my decision.

Doesn't really matter as I didn't get on air. My original plan was thrown off by Leo's schedule anyway.

You can read about my trip to TSS here
http://bill4.douthett.net/

And see the pics here
http://bill4.douthett.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album01&page=1

I'm sorry I let you guys down, but I feel that I made the right decision for me this particular day.

More from Macworld as the keynote rolls on!

=DB

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 05:20      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pants are perfectly understandable, but just this once. Afterall you actually have the legs for a kilt, you wouldn't want to waste them. [Smile]

Glad you had a good time and that the interview was rearranged. Hope you are able to catch Sarah Lane later this week.

Hope there is cool news at the keynote.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 12:10      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, we need an update!! How is MacWorld going? Were you crushed at the keynote? etc. [Smile]
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 21:53      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Macworld... lets see...

Rewind to the Keynote:
I got up at 0530 to go and get in line. Meanwhile, my compatriate went to see if he could social-engineer a VIP Pass. Getting in line at 0700, the line was all the way around the corner and back the length of the block. We started moving around 0815, and finally got inside. They didn't start letting people in to the hall until almost 0845... By hook and crook and social engineering, I was able to get a seat in the VIP section, about 1/2 way back the first section of seats.

The Keynote has been diagnosed to death by those more commentary minded than I, but it was still fun... Steve had some good lines, missed Phil "Demo Doll" Schiller, and John Mayer was kinda cool and has the cajones to interrupt Steve Jobs.

Off to the show floor...
Day 1 was busy on the floor... Apple booth was mobbed but i managed to get some handson with the iPod mini. Maybe it's me (I'm a total Apple guy - I bleed 6 colors) and if Steve says it's cool I believe him (usually), but when I saw the iPod mini in the keynote, I thought like most people "less capacity, smaller size, slightly lower price - what's the point? people can't cough up the $50 for the 15GB?" But the funny thing about Apple iPods is that once you touch one, you just have to have it! Understand: I have a 30GB iPod. I use it every day in the car. But once I touched and played with the iPod mini, I just had to have it. They elicit a visceral response from people that's truly amazing (either that or they channel RDF through the metal case into your hand at a low amperage). I have no use for it. But I just have to have it. It's very cool. But I just have to have it. Maybe I can replace my disk-on-key... it's only marginally bigger, and at 4G over 128MB... I just have to have it.

You're going to want one. Digital Bill has spoken.

Then there's iLife '04 and GarageBand. I haven't gotten a good demo of GarageBand yet (one of my things for Friday), but first impression is that it's really good. Second impression is that for $49, it's the best music editor you'll find bar none. (ASIDE: If you want to spend $500 or more for ProTools or Digital Performer, and you're a real musician please do. They are head and shoulders above GarageBand in their granularity and detail capabilities. But for 10x more money, I'd expect that. END OF ASIDE) The capabilities of GarageBand are truly deep and will take a while to explore, like for instance, I hope it can import General MIDI files. But for a version 1.0 product, it's awesome.

Overall, the show is smaller than last time I was there (2002). They've been steadily pulling in the ends of the show for the last couple years I guess. There's also a lot of 'dead space' in the isles. But the mood is good, and innovation seems to be in full flourish with lots of new products. Cases seem to be the hot thing, Timbuk2 and Crumpler for laptops, and iPod cases and carriers from just about everyone.

Final observations and wrapup after Friday's show.

=DB

Pictures from the Keynote are at MacCenter.com

My show pictures from the CamPhone are moblogged at Textamerica

--------------------

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 05:46      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you are having a great time.

It was interesting to see the mini with a business card etc for scale. It is smaller than I had imagined.

Hope you get to interview Sarah before you head home.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 09, 2004 12:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumor is DigitalBill will be back on today's show... Friday.

yesterday they showed the audience a million times... will they today???

WILL DB APPEAR ON TV????

stayed tuned folks!
[Eek!]

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 13:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Sounds like you are having a great time.

It was interesting to see the mini with a business card etc for scale. It is smaller than I had imagined.

I have quite a small mobile phone, it goes into a pocket easily enough that I can forget it's there. I can't say the same for the iPod, it may fit in a largish pocket, but it feels bulky (I tried it with my brothers new toy at Xmas)

The mini is the same width, 0.5cm less deep, and 1 cm shorter than my phone.

The difference between the iPods and the minis may not look all that much in the photos, but it's the difference between "can be squeezed into a pocket" and "easily pocketable", I doubt if many will use the belt-clip for the minis.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted January 09, 2004 13:33      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But i don't watch tv! [Frown]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 09, 2004 14:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try and get it going on the webcam :-)
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 19:37      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Live, from the TechTV Studios in San Francisco... it's... The Screensavers!

Yes, it's true... I went back to see today's episode of The Screensavers. I may even be on camera... I was in the audience, back row, at the end on camera-right. I think you might be able to see me when Kevin "D-Tip" Rose (today's host, with first-time-host Sarah "the smallest screensaver" Lane) talks about Macworld ending and how all you have to do is mention "Macs" and the crowd goes wild...

Then they shoot the audience again after Kevin makes a remark about Sarah liking the D-Tip...

So one time or other... There I will be!

It was a good show... Pat reported live from CES in Vegas, Sarah did a great job hosting with D-Tip, and the audience had a good time.

Before the show, Angelo (the audience wrangler) took everyone into Studio A, and we got to meet Tech Live anchor and Canadian Michaela Pereira!

After the show, Kevin, Sarah, and Jessica came over, talked to the audience and signed stuff. They were all really nice... I spoke to Jess for a few minutes, about moblogs and doing an interview for my new site (she said she would!), and I caught up with Sarah and Kevin and will do an interview with them as well. I'll end up doing the interviews remotely, either via webcam, phone, or email. I'll figure that out when I get back...

So another great trip to TechTV. If you're going to SF, you should try to arrange it. They have a link on their website to request to be in the audience.

Oh, and pictures from today's trip and the rest of Macworld on my MW Moblog at http://macworld.textamerica.com/ (um, they're in reverse order, due to how TA works...)

=DB

Coming for Saturday: Out and about in San Fran....

--------------------

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2004 20:13      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalBill:
talks about Macworld ending and how all you have to do is mention "Macs" and the crowd goes wild...

Then they shoot the audience again after Kevin makes a remark about Sarah liking the D-Tip...

http://24.45.22.49:83/~jon/digitalbill.mp4
Probably will only work in quicktime 6 or greater.
Ctsy. my VHS [Smile]
[Smile]

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 7 posted January 09, 2004 22:08      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the back with the black shirt, I am told.

[Smile]

Jess

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture