homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » New years. wow.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New years. wow.
Razer
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2485

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 11:04      Profile for Razer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so what did people do then?

I am going down the pub. not very exciting.

--------------------
I am what I am and that is all I am and I am it.

Posts: 12 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 12:53      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pub? Aren't you like, 15?

BTW, there is already a New Years thread.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 14:04      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
last time I checked there werent any legal drinking ages in europe...

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 21:16      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by addiew:
last time I checked there werent any legal drinking ages in europe...

Sweden would be 18 for pubs/bars/whatever and 20 for stuff to bring home (which is only available from the monopoly store[s]), and reselling to minors is a crime.

My point: It differs.

Posts: 71 | From: UmeŚ, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2004 01:35      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok-- well for most of europe-- but it does vary.

sory Im drunk and having trouble making sense of any of this.

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2004 12:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Australia, drinking doesn't become compulsory until age 18.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kt Smith
Mini Geek
Member # 2293

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 01, 2004 15:25      Profile for Kt Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
In Australia, drinking doesn't become compulsory until age 18.

...and I, as a fellow australian, I can assure you, at 18 it is not only leagal but compulsary, good call druid.

--------------------
Cheese, no-one can beat it.

Posts: 67 | From: Mars | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
defiant
Geek
Member # 2225

Icon 4 posted January 01, 2004 16:46      Profile for defiant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Switzerland, the minimum age for 'alcopops', beer, etc. is 16, and the min. age for harder stuff is 18. Which is also the age when everything gets legal. Hurray!
Posts: 190 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
aberrantgeek
Geek
Member # 2336

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2004 09:44      Profile for aberrantgeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on a 14 hour drive up to Indiana on New Years Eve to arrive at my cousins house 20 minutes before 12. My cousins didnt even come down stairs, they were both talking on the phone. So I just watched TV and tried to figure out what Jessica Simpson was singing.

--------------------
"Everyone's life sucks" -Jerry Seinfield

AIM SN=aberrantgeek

Posts: 106 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2004 09:55      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by addiew:
ok-- well for most of europe-- but it does vary.

sory Im drunk and having trouble making sense of any of this.

You gots to be 18 in the UK, although me & my mates used to get served in our local from about 16 onwards. (If you don't make an arse out of yourself, and if the busies rarely pay a visit, this probably hasn't changed). Before then we resorted to pinching tinnies from wherever and heading up to the common to drink ourselves silly and scare the late-night joggers.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 12 posted January 05, 2004 12:17      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wished I had had more champagne to dull my senses.

We had a couple of friends come over, and it sucked duck-butt. We were going to play a game, but we couldn't decide on what. Then the idea of watching Harry Potter 1 was bandied about, and they agreed, but WinterSoltice didn't want to see it. After some serious ho-hum moments, I handed the woman some SiP's I borrowed and she read while we watched a DVD of Clerks cartoon episodes (that she didn't want to see but the other three of us did).

Then, at 10 'til midnight, we were terribly confused by "Dick Clark's Rockin' [and Sucky] New Year's Eve" -- which had the M&M's lose their color part way through and it didn't make sense to anyone, save for anyone on serious drugs or drunk already. I still dodn't understand the big, orange-red dildo-shaped balloons and fuzzy hats. Some days New York makes even California look normal. And the fake "Jessica 'n Nick" drive-up where all these failed actors... sorry, successful waitstaff were soap-opera happy to see 'em enter this lame club where the most exciting thing was I'd swear was lesbian kiss they cut away from (they got e'm dancing though).

Fricking stupid M&M/Mars people. The black M&M's aren't even black. They're the Dark Brown ones no one likes. They must have had a whole bunch of the color going bad at the M&M Colorworks Factory. Personally, I think it's supposed to have a connection to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Otherwise, some marketing exec's desperately trying to save his job.

At least it was Moet & Chandon. [Razz]

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2004 12:32      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you ever wonder about Dick Clark? Plastic surgery or deal with the devil? [devil wand]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2004 13:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
Fricking stupid M&M/Mars people. The black M&M's aren't even black. They're the Dark Brown ones no one likes.

Hey! I like those :-/. They look the most like the chocolate that supposed to be inside.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture