homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Study..study..study..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Study..study..study..
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 18, 2003 05:12      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our stupid lives indeed. I got 1:30 hours of sleep last night, and I'm still not done studying for the 3 semester tests I have today (they count as 1/4 of the semester). So, if anybody reads this, wish me luck, please. I'm worried as hell. [Frown]

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 18, 2003 06:46      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry we've all been through it. Good luck!

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2003 12:13      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck! You'll manage well and just think once its over you can sleep in or maybe go out with friends and hit a local happy hour [Big Grin]

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
aberrantgeek
Geek
Member # 2336

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2003 07:08      Profile for aberrantgeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fear the day when I will actually have to study.

--------------------
"Everyone's life sucks" -Jerry Seinfield

AIM SN=aberrantgeek

Posts: 106 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2003 11:38      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aberrantgeek:
I fear the day when I will actually have to study.

ditto

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dr Psyclops
Geek
Member # 2440

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 19:57      Profile for Dr Psyclops         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why, but I never have had to study. Except Chemistry. I'm a little bit ungood at chemistry. I should have studied Philosophy. Wait! I'm studying Math. Math and Philosophy are inseperable. Yes, excellent.

--------------------
Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home, everyone is glad I am there.
-Robert L. Humphrey

Posts: 132 | From: Escaped into the waves... | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 21:52      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
studying for finals? psht. i was off seeing 'return of the king,' and it appears i passed.

...i'm a strong advocate of learning it the first time around, it saves the hair loss and heart palpitations of cramming for tests.

Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 22:21      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahh the good old days... I remember when I didn't have to study for classes... well most of my classes... phys chem and analytical chem and a few other bio classes were a bit tougher. Then came grad school [weep]
Not only do I have to study, I have to teach myself and not from a text book (there is none), from scientific papers, google searches, and whatever text books or copies thereof I can get my hands on. So enjoy it while ya got it and take advantage of being able to work on side projects and such. young whipersnappers!! *crotchety old student*

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 23:20      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont tell me I have to study in grad school (GASP!) I'm starting in fall [weep] [Eek!]

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 09:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats and good luck addiew! Where're you going?

quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus:

Not only do I have to study, I have to teach myself and not from a text book (there is none), from scientific papers, google searches, and whatever text books or copies thereof I can get my hands on. So enjoy it while ya got it and take advantage of being able to work on side projects and such. young whipersnappers!! *crotchety old student*

Dear God! And then they give you a take-home final that's full of data pulled straight hot, stinking, and steaming from the prof's overly caffinated ass and ask you to explain the stuff. To quote one of my classmates "I looked up Cys 181 and it doesn't exist." [cry baby] And let's not go into the book that everyone needed but couldn't find. I got my hands on a copy only because my lab had one, and shared it with a classmate working in the lab next door after she was bitching about how screwed over she was. This is the first time I've ever not looked at my grades online. I don't want to know.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 13:31      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe oh yeah and then there's the popular 'lets add in typos and misinformation and see if they catch it' trick. I've had that happen in a couple classes on finals and such, they'll add in either typos or omit data or point you in a direction of a dead end and you've got to figure out what went wrong and what's wrong with the problem only they don't tell you that's the point of the exercise. Its kinda fun if you figure it out but you can run around in circles and bash your head into a wall for about a week before you realize what's wrong.

I'm just curious what tricks they'll throw at us my second semester. [shake head]

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 14:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus:
I'm just curious what tricks they'll throw at us my second semester. [shake head]

I don't want to know.

The vernacular for the class we first years take is "Core". One of our profs next semester supposedly turns Core into Core Dump. I just hope she backs her lectures up with some papers, unlike the last guy, who gave us illegible handwritten lecture notes and expected us to follow along. For two hours.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 14:47      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe I've had those! The ones where the variables in the equation change from one line to the next but still mean the same thing. I once had a prof who's x's and n's looked identical so it didn't matter much which he used anyway...

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 23:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X's and n's that look the same? I think some peopel should just be banned from applying a pen to paper altogether.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2004 01:36      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you guys are scaring me. grad school isn't suppose to be any harder than undergrad [crazy] [cry baby]

--------------------

Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2004 10:29      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe sorry, its more fun though. At least in my case its all stuff I'm interested in, and really once you move into your professional career you'll encounter situations like this (i.e. no text books, no spoon feeding, errors in the literature, etc.) all the time and you need to be prepared to handle them. It is stressful at times but I don't think its anything you won't be able to handle. I'm not sure what sort of studies you're pursuing but one warning for anyone going into a science field that is used to being perfect all the time: expect to fail at things, ideally not entire classes but experiments more often than not don't work the first few times (if at all).

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 09:36      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had never studied before this year either, so I didnt think I would need to study this year either. I was wrong. That's why I made a low 80 in U.S. History during the first 6 weeks. Garrr. These days I also need to study for math, just because I'm not very strong in that area, and the new information quickly gets lost in the endless sediment layers that I have in my mind...and then at the end of the semester I have to stir it all up again...blarg.
Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture