homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Breaking Bad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breaking Bad
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2012 21:40      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so I have been gone feeling sorry for myself, and that is no fun.

Nope! So I'm sitting in the cancer ward and somebody starts talking about a cancer guy who is like half Ward Cleaver and half Tony Soprano. Like, wow! I think that just would be the best show ever.

Like, "Gee, Beave, did you really have to whack Eddie Haskell?" And it really is almost like that.

Except the one part I have to ask. Vince Gilligan used to write X-Files, which is like Geek Heaven. But he kills a Geek! True! He kills Gale!

Did that make you mad? Did you think he was trying to kill you?

Maybe I ask this 'cause cancer is kinda trying to kill me. But when I saw that, I had to know.

Have a Great Day! And don't let Vince or the Beave whack you!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2012 22:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So after Netflix recommended it, and I've heard a crap-ton of buzz about it, I finally broke down and watched it. It's strangely compelling, if a tad annoying at times (*cough* Hank). As for Gale - I don't think that was especially 'right,' but the [immoral] logic was there. (If he didn't, it'd have been him.)

Quite possibly the worst thing about the series is the fscking Aztek. I can only hope that was meant as some kind of weird satire, but it's the ugliest vehicle made, and I was pretty glad to have only seen a few around these parts years ago. Perhaps they think that Walter thought it was a 'rebellious' thing to buy back in his sedate years?

Anyway, good luck to you in your battle, and while you shouldn't 'try this at home,' w.r.t. Breaking Bad, perhaps you can channel your own inner-badass in some more upstanding manner. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2012 23:20      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoiler Alert!

The Aztec gets it.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2012 00:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Spoiler Alert!

The Aztec gets it.

Thanks $DEITY.

Cheers for that - I may have to wait awhile to see that, but shall look forward to it. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2012 09:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aztek spoiler:
It doesn't really get it in any meaningful way. It gets sold for $50.00 and Hank leases a Chrysler 300.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 28, 2012 12:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started watching BB this year. Yes it's strangely compelling, and I'm hooked. I love the geeky meth-cooking scenes.

I'll have to go back and start at the beginning, as I don't even know who Gale is! [blush]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2012 17:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
I just started watching BB this year. Yes it's strangely compelling, and I'm hooked. I love the geeky meth-cooking scenes.

I'll have to go back and start at the beginning, as I don't even know who Gale is! [blush]

Gale comes into play later on (~season 3? [Confirmed - spoilers/summary]). I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to say that he's a man of science.

--------------------

Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2012 21:49      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Oh my, my, my Mr. Snaggy! Stop right now watching new shows and get thee to a Netflix!

Mr. White is very broken and bad now. You need to see the breaking. Like me and Mrs. Geek 2 Me watched like four seasons in a row like we were a Korean Gamer kid! True fact, only we did not die.

OK?

But first, lookee here. If you are worth your geek beanie, you have to ask, "Holy quantum observation effect, Who is Heisenberg?

Then you say you don't know Gale, but maybe he was at your house one time? Singing Major Tom, like this?

And Gale is a Vegan, too! But why is he eating fast food from Los Pollos Hermanos? A very tricky question!

And that brings us to Gus who is a very tightly would bad guy. (NSFW):

Of course, Mr. White has cancer, like me, and this is very real. Like these Two cancer guys. Sometimes I think both thoughts at the same time!

And you know Mr. White is married to Sklyer, who like if there was ever like something like a geeky goddess this would be her.

And this is Mr. White's Sous Chef! and all his best lines on Conan.

As you can see, Mr. White AND Jesse Pinkman are bad guys, who need a lawyer, so they Better Call Saul!

But, no, no, no it is not all crime and bad guys, there is tender romance, too!

Like I said, yes I did it is kinda like Leave it to Beaver meets the Sopranos ... or did the Sopranos meet Malcom in the Middle?

One more thing.
I am the one who knocks!

Mr. Geek 2U

Have a great day!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2012 13:55      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the first few episodes of the first season and just didn't get into it.

If he was really such a good chemist there are other drugs he could make that most people couldn't, such as extasy, that would have a higher profit marginand be less harmful to those who take them.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2012 17:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you all heard about the british remake of breaking bad they are making on the other side of the pond starring that guy from BBC world.

Basically, the main charachter gets cancer and is then treated with world class medicine for free for the next five years. I hear Canadian television is planning on picking up the show as well.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2012 19:21      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Walter had access to socialized medicine, he'd still have made largely the same series of bad decisions. The cost of medical treatments got him started, but those were just the first of many rationalizations for his decisions.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 04, 2012 19:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched the pilot episode on Netflix, loved it!

I like how the latest episode, the final one of this season, tied into it, with Bounder mentioned, and the contrasting pool views. [Applause]

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 12, 2012 02:36      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: Currently into mid Season 3 on our Breaking Bad marathon.
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2012 12:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to pace yourself. Before you know it, you'll have finished everything that's available and you'll be stuck waiting for episodes like everyone else. [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted September 12, 2012 19:45      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to pace, but Nitro is like a junkie to get more! [Big Grin]

Saw Bounder die last night. [weep]

FACT: our neighbour had the exact same RV, in fact, their cat is named "Bounder" after the RV.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 18, 2012 11:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finished the Netflix Breaking Bad marathon last night. [tired]

A bit of mid season 4 dragged a little, (I couldn't care less for Hank's wife's issues) but wow, what a kicker those last three episodes were. [crazy] [Eek!] [crazy]

Thanks Mr. Geek 2U, GrumpySteen, dragonman, and GMX, for finally getting me to make some time for it! (Ashitaka, I would love to see a Canadian remake! [Big Grin] )

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2012 22:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Finished the Netflix Breaking Bad marathon last night. [tired]

A bit of mid season 4 dragged a little, (I couldn't care less for Hank's wife's issues) but wow, what a kicker those last three episodes were. [crazy] [Eek!] [crazy]

Thanks Mr. Geek 2U, GrumpySteen, dragonman, and GMX, for finally getting me to make some time for it! (Ashitaka, I would love to see a Canadian remake! [Big Grin] )

Wow...you flew through it!

I think it took me about a month or so to get threw it, but that's probably because I hit my Hank quotient too early. [Razz] (And yes, his wife is surely worse.)

The end of the last episode was the real kicker to me, highlighting just how evil Walter could be. And now...the wait. (Steen is obviously right on the money about this, but c'est la vie.)

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2012 01:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ashitaka, I would love to see a Canadian remake!

That would be the one about a guy who runs an illicit Maple Syrup refinery to pay for his kids snow shoes...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2012 08:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote:
That would be the one about a guy who runs an illicit Maple Syrup refinery to pay for his kids snow shoes...

You might be on to something

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2012 08:19      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Ashitaka, I would love to see a Canadian remake!

that too

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2012 23:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
The Famous Druid wrote:

You might be on to something

Today I Learned that Quebec has a Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve. [crazy]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture