homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Pt 2

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Pt 2
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2011 05:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just returned from the midnight session of HPDH2 in 3D, with 7 females whose average age is about 1/4 of mine.

Quick review: one of the few movies that is better than the book.

There's a lot of action in this movie, and it worked much better on the big screen than it did in print, fast paced, good special effects, and lots of scenes that had the audience cheering.

A worthy ending for the series.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2011 14:51      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of so many people getting to see midnight shows already! I didn't think that was going to happen for two more days. Can't wait to see it myself, though I will probably have to. I did manage to catch a couple of the previous movies on TV lately so I've gotten some of a Harry Potter fix. Maybe I'll try to finish re-reading the series. I think I made it through the first three after watching HP7 part 1.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2011 15:12      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The younger clublet just wrapped up an HP marathon the other day in preparation to see DH2 for a friend's party later this week. And the elder clublet is furiously making plans to get to a midnight showing. She didn't bother to ask dear ol' dad to take her, but mom doesn't seem interested so I might weasel my way in.

I enjoyed DH1 quite a bit more than the previous films, so I have high hopes for the last installment.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2011 02:45      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So did you watch it in 2D or 3D? I am going to night and going specifically to a theater that is playing it in 2D, though most places are playing it in 3D.

Every theater in the country is running this movie but it was miserable to try to find a thater withthe options I wanted. (2D, not 3D and in english, not french or german)

poll

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted July 14, 2011 06:11      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My kids are in line for the midnight show tonight already. I'm not up for that, but hey, this is what they grew up with. It's a big deal.

--------------------
cogito ergo something.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2011 09:28      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My little girl and I will go in a few days when the lines die down a bit. I want to see it in 2D. Not a big fan of the 3D.

We are going to watch some of the earlier films as a build up. I like them all but the HBP. I thought they really mangled the book in that one.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2011 05:57      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ended up going with my oldest and her boyfriend Saturday night. We saw it in 2D for two reasons: that's what the cheap theater has; and I'm not a fan of 3D anyway. I did notice a few spots where I could see 3D might lend a little kick to adrenaline junkies, but I was perfectly happy with the 2D.

In general I agree with TFD's mini-review. I would only add that some aspects felt a little rushed to me. Like maybe they crammed too much into DH1 without enough left over to properly fill out DH2. Does that make any sense? But the effects and action were all quite well done.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture