homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » MMOs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MMOs
steampunkgrrrl
Geek Larva
Member # 38567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 17:23      Profile for steampunkgrrrl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll admit it, I'm an MMOholic. I see a pretty and shiny new MMO (most are FTP, and I have downloaded and deleted quite a few).

Right now I'm into City of Heroes (I haven't played its FTP sister, Champions Online, yet) and I'm downloading Atlantica Online from nexon.net.

Aaaaaanyway....does anyone here play them? (Even the WoW crowd [Razz] .) What do you play? Are there any you hated or loved? What would you recommend?

--------------------
A Steampunk's Musings

Posts: 25 | From: Northwest Ohio | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amy Rebecca
Newbie Larva
Member # 39284

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2011 14:43      Profile for Amy Rebecca   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely love MMOs! I do play WoW (though I deleted it a day ago due to want for more space and so not to procrastinate with higher priorities), but I also really enjoyed League of Legends, Fiesta, LotRO, Minecraft, WonderlandOnline, all that sort of thing. What's more: every game I listed here -bar, of course, WoW- is FTP. [Big Grin] In fact, I believe WoW has even been made free up to level 20 now. Apparently, because of Turbine releasing a newly rendered free version of LotRO, Blizzard are considering the same fate for WoW with the release of their new game.(Though, I do suspect they'll still offer a paid 'Premium' option, like LotRO.)

--------------------
I'm Emilie Lycanthropic, I like quarks.♥

Posts: 7 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2011 05:33      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am assuming FTP does not mean "File Transfer Protocol" in this context? (So confused.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2011 08:33      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Free To Play... or at least there are no subscription fees.

To encourage the transfer of money, areas, levels and/or abilities may be limited and, if it's a competitive game, it's usually impossible or nearly impossible to compete with other players unless you buy things.

Minecraft is kind of an exception because there's nothing to purchase once you have the game, but only the outdated beta "classic" version is freely playable. The current version of the beta and the version that will eventually be released must be purchased.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2011 00:05      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many games that call themselves "Free to Play" are actually Allegedly Free Game.

A good example would be Sabrina's current favorite, Wizard 101. Only a small piece of the world is actually "free to play," but then you can either pay fees to "unlock" other areas, or just pay a monthly subscription fee and have done with it. There are also items in-game that can only be bought for "Crowns" (a premium-level currency you have to pay real money for, much like you find in, say, Farmville), or that are given away with the game cards you buy in stores (the actual cards can be exchanged for either subscription time or Crowns).

Despite that, she and her friends have fun with the game (and do pay money to play it). It's very cartoony in its look and feel but plays like a kiddie-ride version of World of Warcraft, has a variety of casual mini-games for various purposes, and "combat" plays a little like Magic: The Gathering, complete with "spell decks" and "treasure cards" you can load into your deck for added advantage. And they've thrown in a lot of pop culture shout-outs to keep things interesting. It seems to be very popular, and not just among its target market, either.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2011 08:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erbo wrote:
Many games that call themselves "Free to Play" are actually Allegedly Free Game.

It's usually considered good form to warn people that the link goes to TV Tropes so they know that they're risking losing half a day if they click it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture