homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » DWTS Quick Hits (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DWTS Quick Hits
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 20:46      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyle and Lacey's "instant" jive got the encore this week; good choice by Len!

Taio Cruz performed "Dynamite"...a smooth dance sound, with some smooth pro dancers! Also, John Legend and the Roots played two songs. Sabrina is probably gonna make me buy more albums soon... [Big Grin]

One of the best bits this evening was with 5 kids...two champion dance couples, accompanied by an 8-year-old piano prodigy. And WHAT A JIVE!

Holy Toledo! Kurt and Anna are out! Kurt thanks everyone for getting to do the show and develop all these relationships with everyone, and the crowd chanted "M-V-P! M-V-P!" as he and Anna did their "last dance" at center floor.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Time for the Semifinal Edition of Erbo's DWTS Power Rankings!

1. Brandy and Maks (average 25.5) - Still on top, though Jennifer and Derek are catching up; assuming Maks can keep from getting into any more philosophical arguments with the judges, he's got his best crack yet at the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy.

2. Jennifer and Derek (average 25.8) - Only a hairsbreadth behind Brandy and Maks at this point, and Jennifer has the momentum of a Perfect Thirty to carry her; her chief weak point is just the physical punishment of the competition at this point. I know what it's like to rip knee tendons; if that happens to her, she's history.

3. Kyle and Lacey (average 23.3) - Endearing and lighthearted, but he'll probably fall short of the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy, having neither the two top couples' dance skill nor Bristol's apparently widespread support.

4. Bristol and Mark (average 20.6) - I have given up trying to figure out what's keeping Bristol in the competition at this point. The judges propose; the viewers dispose! If she makes it to the finals, expect a lot of people on the ABC forum and the Facebook fan page to start going into full Chiroptera lunarii mode and babbling about "Tea Party conspiracies."

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 20:18      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The semifinals are upon us! One more elimination before we get to the week of the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy!

ROUND 1 - LATIN ROUND (Includes Required Solo)

Brandy and Maks came out intense in their paso! Nice solo on Brandy's part! And she tossed in an extra solo bit at the end! It worked well! (9-9-9)

In their cha-cha-cha, Jennifer and Derek (actually, just Jennifer) gave the judges a thrill to start out! (Bruno really got into it!) It was hot, but also precise as a Swiss watch! Outstanding! (PERFECT THIRTY!!! Second of the season, second for Jennifer and Derek!)

Bristol and Mark also did a paso, and what an opener! The execution was VERY VERY good, and, for the first time this season, Bristol NAILED the character! (9-9-9)

A cheeky solo marked the start of Kyle and Lacey's samba! He stumbled a little in the middle of one sequence, but played it BIG! (10-9-10)

ROUND 2 - BALLROOM ROUND

Brandy and Maks got fancy on the steps to start off an Argentine tango that was SMOKIN'! She did a nice lead-in to a lift from the judge's table, too! (PERFECT THIRTY!!! Third of the season; first one for Brandy!)

Jennifer and Derek came out in a waltz that was effortless and graceful from the start. It was beautiful...but Sabrina didn't get any body chills from it. (PERFECT THIRTY!!! Fourth of the season; third for Jennifer!)

Now, Bristol and Mark's waltz...was something completely different! It was elegant and Gothic in tone, with very ethereal music and an opening that looked like it could have been lifted out of a fantasy movie! Governor Palin was fighting back the tears at the end...as were Sabrina and I! (8-9-9)

Last up: the Argentine tango of Kyle and Lacey. It seemed a little "static" in spots, as Lacey "danced around" Kyle...but the kid DOES know how to work it! (10-9-10)

Jennifer and Derek lead the night, with a "Perfect Sixty"; Bristol and Mark, once again, bring up the rear with 53 points. Tomorrow night: The Last Elimination!

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 20:22      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Judges' Encore was Brandy's and Maks' Argentine tango. I would have done Bristol's and Mark's waltz, but this was a great choice, too.

Annie Lennox did two songs, accompanied by her own dancers. And Enrique Iglesias did a great dance-Latin number to accompany Our Pros.

In the "Design-a-Dance," Derek and Cheryl did a 50's jive to "It's Still Rock'n'Roll To Me," using a "drive-in movie" theme. Accompanying them on stage was a classic Corvette! (I think a '57!)

And the elimination came down to Bristol and Mark, and Brandy and Maks. Who was out?

UNBEF***INGLIEVABLE!!! BRANDY AND MAKS ARE OUT!!!

Everybody was stunned by this elimination, which came after what Tom said was a series-high number of votes! Bristol, Mark, Brandy, Maks, Derek and Jennifer, the judges, the audience, EVERYBODY was stunned out of their minds! And, on Facebook and comment areas across the land, the flame wars are detonating!

After this, what the hell is going to happen in the finals?!? I can't wait to see what happens!

I could do another set of Power Rankings, but I don't know how much difference it would make at this point...may the best couple win!

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2010 12:33      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, It is probably best fo ratings, being the daughter of a really famous person trumps being famous for talent.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 17, 2010 14:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enraged by Bristol Palin's 'Dancing with the Stars' routine, man shoots TV.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/a28146.html

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2010 17:14      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
well, It is probably best fo ratings, being the daughter of a really famous person trumps being famous for talent.

I don't think it's even that. A quick Google search for "Vote for Bristol" and I can see that a number of conservative forums are full of people who believe that helping Bristol win despite her obvious lack of talent will send some sort of message.

What this message is, I don't know, but this is coming from a group of people now infamous for borderline insanity, so I'm really not trying that hard to understand. I figure if I did understand, it would be a bad sign.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2010 12:40      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

I don't think it's even that. A quick Google search for "Vote for Bristol" and I can see that a number of conservative forums are full of people who believe that helping Bristol win despite her obvious lack of talent will send some sort of message.

What this message is, I don't know, but this is coming from a group of people now infamous for borderline insanity, so I'm really not trying that hard to understand. I figure if I did understand, it would be a bad sign.

quote:
Both Palins have denied any organized vote-getting tactics. Bristol Palin says voters support her despite lacklustre performances because she started the show with no dancing experience.
They didn't need to _organize_it. Just to ask for it. Is there still a charge for voting in such a TV show? One guy had to raize money after he used his business's phones to have his village vote for his daughter. Couldn't afford the bill after...

(Ah! But of course, since the people vote from their homes, and not their candidate's office...)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2010 19:02      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, it's worse than just a guy shooting his TV:
quote:
The FBI is investigating a threatening letter containing white powder that was delivered to the "Dancing With the Stars" production office at CBS Studios on Friday.

[...]

Sources told Marques the threatening letter was sent to contestant Bristol Palin criticizing a recent performance.

Hazardous materials officials with the city of Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Fire Department, Los Angeles Police Department and the FBI responded to the CBS Studios lot where the hit ABC show is staged, authorities said.

In a statement, ABC confirmed the envelope was received at the show's production office, and that the substance was determined to be talcum powder.

Perhaps the MST3K Mantra is called for..."Repeat to yourself, it's just a show, I should really just relax."

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2010 20:26      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After three months of competition...THE FINALS are upon us! We have two rounds of dancing tonight, and two tomorrow night, before we award The Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy! We've had ups and downs, controversy, flame wars, people shotgunning televisions, and death threat letters...where do we go from here???

Round 1 - "Redemption Dance"

Kyle "Mr. Entertainer" and Lacey got to retry the foxtrot, and he really came out with better footwork and a sizzling attack! He got a little out of sync at one point, but did really well through the grapevine! (9-9-9)

Bristol "Cinderella Story" and Mark dumped the monkey suit for their redone jive, and came out rolling! That girl can shimmy, but she still has a few problems with the moves in such a fast dance. The acrobatic finish was wild! (9-9-9)

Jennifer "The Chosen One" and Derek took on the paso doble again, and, well, now THIS is a proper paso! Such power! Such lines! This woman is unstoppable! (PERFECT THIRTY!!! Fifth of the season; fourth for Jennifer!)

Round 2 - FREESTYLE!

For Kyle and Lacey, it was time to toss out the ballroom stuff and go hip-hop! With "Tootsie Roll," he was playing to the crowd! He did the worm (better than Woz, I gotta admit)! He shook that ass! He finished up with some breakdance moves! Very entertaining! (10-9-10)

Bristol and Mark chose to re-enact a tango from the Broadway musical Chicago Ever thought you'd see Bristol Palin cage-dancing? She came out of that cage like a tigress, and really laid on the character for this dance! (8-9-8)

And it was a return to Dirty Dancing for Jennifer and Derek, and they were "dirty dancing" right on the judges' table! It was decidedly entertaining and competent as always. (PERFECT THIRTY!!! Sixth of the season, fifth for Jennifer!)

After two rounds, Jennifer and Derek lead with another "Perfect Sixty"; Bristol and Mark play "tail-end Charlene" again with 52. Tomorrow night are another two rounds of dancing, then all the scores get put together to see who hoists the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy! Meantime, I'm gonna sit down and watch the premiere of Skating with the Stars...

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 18:19      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Is there still a charge for voting in such a TV show? One guy had to raize money after he used his business's phones to have his village vote for his daughter. Couldn't afford the bill after...

Phone voting on DWTS uses toll-free numbers; no charge for voting. Voting online is also free. AT&T mobile users can also vote via text message (Sabrina and I do this); standard text messaging rates apply but I have an unlimited-text option on our plan, so it costs us nothing extra anyway.

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 21:52      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now...we conclude one of the most controversial, most talked-about, highest-rated seasons of Dancing With The Stars! We have two more rounds and a bunch of filler to get through before we award The Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy!

First, all the celebrities do a fancy opening number! Well, most of them...Audrina is out sick, and Michael is performing in London tonight. But the rest of them, from The Hoff all the way up to Brandy, are back!

Tom and Brooke remind us that the way the scoring is computed is, that the judges' scores for each contestant are converted into a percentage of total judges' points awarded, which is then added to the percentage of viewer votes received to determine the final score. High score wins!

We learn that, last night, Jennifer ruptured a disc in her back! But she's going for it anyway tonight!

Christina Aguilera appeared, doing a number from the new movie Burlesque...the judges had to vacate their table to make room for all this sexy dancing!

ROUND 3 - Favorite Dance of the Season
(For this round, the judges will each "rank" the dancers, with third rank getting 8 points, second rank 9, and first rank 10.)

Kyle and Lacey came out with their tango, and his attack and footwork were very good, though maybe slipping a bit. He was coming at it flat out, though! (9-8-9)

Bristol and Mark reprised their "Rock Week" tango, with better technique this time! And the hold break for "rocking out" was a real crowd pleaser! (8-9-8)

Jennifer and Derek went back to Week 1 and did the Viennese waltz again, through the lens of experience. And of COURSE it was good, though Derek may have misstepped a bit, and they snuck a small lift in! (PERFECT THIRTY!!! Seventh of the season; sixth for Jennifer!)

. . .

Hoff came back to SING the "Baywatch" theme, as well as dance to it, accompanied by three lady pros as his fellow "lifeguards"! Sabrina said, "That was painful...but it was worth it!"

Kurt and Rick then went head-to-head on the dance floor, in their team colors with their partners as "cheerleaders"! It was a fun bit!

Margaret and Florence came back out to "Copacabana"...Margaret still can't dance, but whoa-hoa-hoa Florence!

The Situation came back to dance with three ladies, and finally get his shirt off! And was one of those ladies trying to grab The Situation in his..."situation"? [Eek!]

Brandy got to dance her jive again, and Maks sure looked OK with things! She got a big standing O for this performance!

We finish up the padding with a performance of Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful," with her dancers signing the song while dancing! And they breakdance, too!

ROUND 4 - "Instant" Cha-Cha-Cha!
(The dancers only got the music right after Round 3! They all dance to the same song, appearing on the floor sequentially.)

Kyle and Lacey led off, and he seemed a little static at first, but got into it! (9-9-10) After that, Jenifer and Derek stepped in, and executed quickly and precisely. (9-9-10) On the anchor leg, Bristol and Mark were workin' it, and got the loudest cheers! And Bristol, once again, showed off that shimmy! (9-9-9)

And now, after applying the ABC supercomputers to the total scores and vote data...

Third place goes to...Bristol and Mark! "I've had the time of my life," said Bristol (does that remind you of anything?), as Mark was in tears!

And now...the Season 11 champions...

Are...

JENNIFER AND DEREK!!!

Kyle was very gracious to the fans that voted for him, for his part. Meanwhile, Jennifer was in tears, since she almost missed out on this moment due to her injury! And Derek was so proud of her, not least because he's now a three-time winner! And we fade out with the confetti raining down from the ceiling, as Derek and Jennifer, atop the shoulders of their fellow competitors, hold high THE CHEESY DISCO BALL TROPHY!!!

Till next season...this is Erbo, reminding you, don't be hatin', don't be frettin', JUST DANCE!

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture