homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » DWTS Quick Hits (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DWTS Quick Hits
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2010 00:05      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not full-on reports, just some impressions of Week 1's performances...

Audrina & Tony: Gutsy move doing a solo at the start of the leadoff dance. Did surprisingly well. On the "Watch List."

Kurt & Anna: For a big guy, surprisingly graceful. I thought Len harshed his gig a bit too much, though. On the "Watch List."

Kyle & Lacey: Now this kid is definitely one to watch, as I thought he might be. Fun routine. In the "Top Tier" for now.

Rick & Cheryl: Even better than Kurt; his height is no disadvantage here. Also "Top Tier" material.

Margaret & Louis: Came out OK, but the cape thing turned into a big pile of FAIL. She may be the first gone.

Brandy & Maks: She has much the same attitude as Nicole Scherzinger did; this bodes well for her. So does her performance. "Top Tier" for her.

Bristol & Mark: For someone who is not a performer of any nature, she gave a fair accounting of herself on the floor. Her scores put her decidedly in mid-pack, and on the "Watch List." I voted for her twice, just because I think that there are those out there who, because of their hatred of her mother, will want to see her get booted ASAP. That's not fair; she deserves a chance to stand or fall on her own merits as a dancer, as much as anyone else on the show does.

Florence & Corky: Utterly charming; she is a clear crowd favorite, and she knows it. On the "Watch List," but definitely a sentimental fave.

Michael & Chelsie: Yeah, he's not as good as some, but he's damn well trying. Also deserves a chance to prove himself. Not quite "Watch List" material, but not quite "desperation time" either.

Mike ("The Situation") & Karina: Tough call here. On the one hand, I don't like his attitude much, he reminds me too much of Steve-O. And his routine was a mess. On the other hand, he didn't have as much time to rehearse as the other stars. He's close to being booted, just like Margaret, but I might want to see him stay till next week, when he'll be on an equal footing with the other celebs rehearsal-time-wise and I can get a better assessment of his potential.

Jennifer & Derek: Anyone who didn't have a tear in their eye at the end of this routine has no soul. No one can ever replace Patrick Swayze, but Derek might just have what it takes to be a worthy successor, at least on the dance floor. "Top Tier" all the way.

David & Kym: Another tough call with someone on the brink of elimination. On the one hand, his routine wasn't much. On the other, Kym worked miracles with Donny Osmond, she might be able to do something with the Hoff. But we shall see.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2010 19:42      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And news flash: THE HOFF IS OFF!

A bit disappointing...I thought Margaret Cho might get kicked. Still, not entirely unexpected, given his performance.

Quickstep and jive next week!

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted September 21, 2010 20:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
f*ck you spoiled it for me I hate you I love the Hoff.
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted September 21, 2010 20:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and I'm still pissed Pamela didn't win last year. NUFF SAID.
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2010 01:09      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd rather have seen Hoff carry on longer, too. If I'd had my druthers, Margaret Cho would have been the victim of Elimination #1.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2010 18:43      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Whoa! Is this our benevolent dictator talking? I've never seen you post without punctuation marks! Who hacked your profile?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2010 21:02      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was a little ticked hoff when he wrote that.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2010 23:08      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
He was a little ticked hoff when he wrote that.

*groan* [shake head] [Applause] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2010 20:42      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick Hits for Week #2:

Rick & Cheryl - He was trying hard not to re-injure his foot in the jive, and that may be why it seemed slow. Fun routine though. (7-7-7)

Florence & Corky - Her quickstep was good, if uneven; like so many great DWTS competitors, she is playing to the crowd! (7-6-6)

Brandy & Maks - I predicted her little solo in this jive might get Len's goat, and it did. She may have been a tad hesitant. (7-7-7)

Michael & Chelsie - This jive was not sharp at all; Sabrina thought he had no rhythm. Prediction: He gets kicked next. (4-5-3)

Audrina & Tony - Good sync and great energy in her quickstep; her dedication really shows! (8-8-7)

Jennifer & Derek - Baby's jive did not disappoint! It was super! (8-8-8)

(Is that Sarah Palin that Tom Bergeron is talking to? You betcha! Don't expect this every week, though...)

Margaret & Louis - Her jive this week was a BIG improvement, but Sabrina still felt she "lost her juice" on it. (6-6-6)

Kyle & Lacey - He certainly has the idea of the quickstep, hitting it hard and fast! Very fun! (8-7-7)

Kurt & Anna - His "Danger Zone" jive might be his highway to the END zone! He is more into it now!

The Situation & Karina - He seemed a bit pigeon-toed, which threw his feet off in the quickstep. But this was a better look at his potential. (6-6-6)

Bristol & Mark - This quickstep was excellent from start to finish; Mom oughta be proud! (7-8-7)

Somebody has to go tomorrow night...let's see what happens!

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2010 20:56      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 2: Bolton booted! He makes his exit with grace.

Kyle and Lacey had the encore for the week, with that fun jive.

And now, after two weeks of competition, Edition #1 of Erbo's DWTS Season 11 Power Rankings!

-------------

THE TOP TIER

Jennifer & Derek (avg 24.0) - Whether it's due to good genes (being the daughter of Joel Grey), a great partner (Derek Hough is the defending pro champion), or the ghost of Patrick Swayze lending a hand, Baby has the run of the dance floor right now, including all four corners! [Big Grin] 60+% chance she makes it to the finals. 50-50 that she earns the first "10" paddle from one of the judges.

Audrina & Tony (avg 21.0) - She is dedicated and hard-working, and it is paying off big time. Tony must be relieved to not have a psycho for a partner this season! 40% chance she makes it to the finals.

Kyle & Lacey (avg 22.5) - This young man will be hard to shake, if only we can keep him from doing his Happycat impression ("I can has cheezburger?") 40% chance he makes it to the finals.

Bristol & Mark (avg 20.0) - Clearly on the rise; her work ethic is as good as Audrina's, she just needs to be a performer. Carrie-Ann compared her to Kelly Osbourne (3rd place, Season 9), a good sign. I have it on good authority that there are heavy pro-Bristol voting groups out there (run by, among others, conservative talk-radio host Tammy Bruce), which isn't exactly fair, but, with luck, will cancel out all the fanatic anti-Bristol voting groups out there, giving Bristol a fair shake based on her dancing ability, which is what all this is about, right? 25% chance she makes it to the finals.

Brandy & Maks (avg 22.0) - Sadly, heading the opposite way of Bristol; needs to bring her game up to avoid losing her grip on the top tier. 25% chance she makes it to the finals.

Rick & Cheryl (avg 21.5) - Holding on by sheer force of dance talent, though he seems a little slow on some of the steps and I wonder if his foot injury will be aggravated by the dance work. 25% chance he makes it to the finals; slight chance (2-3% at best) that he is forced to withdraw due to foot injury.

SECOND-RANK COMPETITORS

Florence & Corky (avg 18.5) - The clear crowd favorite, and she plays to them as well as Donny Osmond ever did. Might just be some life left in Mrs. Brady, the original MILF (or should that be "GILF" by now)?

Kurt & Anna (avg 20.0) - Put a long bomb into the end zone with his jive; with Anna calling his plays for him, he could very well break out.

STRUGGLING

Margaret & Louis (avg 16.5) - Got off to a bad start with the famous "Cape FAIL," improved this week, but still catching up to the rest of the pack. May not dodge bullets much longer; will probably be gone in or before Week 5.

The Situation & Karina (avg 16.5) - The hoped-for talent failed to show up, and worse, he may not have the temperament for ballroom, what with complaining about the music and all. Will probably be gone in or before Week 5.

There you have it! Samba and something else next week, and the dance must tell a story!

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2010 20:58      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 2: Bolton booted! He makes his exit with grace.

Kyle and Lacey had the encore for the week, with that fun jive.

And now, after two weeks of competition, Edition #1 of Erbo's DWTS Season 11 Power Rankings!

-------------

THE TOP TIER

Jennifer & Derek (avg 24.0) - Whether it's due to good genes (being the daughter of Joel Grey), a great partner (Derek Hough is the defending pro champion), or the ghost of Patrick Swayze lending a hand, Baby has the run of the dance floor right now, including all four corners! [Big Grin] 60+% chance she makes it to the finals. 50-50 that she earns the first "10" paddle from one of the judges.

Audrina & Tony (avg 21.0) - She is dedicated and hard-working, and it is paying off big time. Tony must be relieved to not have a psycho for a partner this season! 40% chance she makes it to the finals.

Kyle & Lacey (avg 22.5) - This young man will be hard to shake, if only we can keep him from doing his Happycat impression ("I can has cheezburger?") 40% chance he makes it to the finals.

Bristol & Mark (avg 20.0) - Clearly on the rise; her work ethic is as good as Audrina's, she just needs to be a performer. Carrie-Ann compared her to Kelly Osbourne (3rd place, Season 9), a good sign. I have it on good authority that there are heavy pro-Bristol voting groups out there (run by, among others, conservative talk-radio host Tammy Bruce), which isn't exactly fair, but, with luck, will cancel out all the fanatic anti-Bristol voting groups out there, giving Bristol a fair shake based on her dancing ability, which is what all this is about, right? 25% chance she makes it to the finals.

Brandy & Maks (avg 22.0) - Sadly, heading the opposite way of Bristol; needs to bring her game up to avoid losing her grip on the top tier. 25% chance she makes it to the finals.

Rick & Cheryl (avg 21.5) - Holding on by sheer force of dance talent, though he seems a little slow on some of the steps and I wonder if his foot injury will be aggravated by the dance work. 25% chance he makes it to the finals; slight chance (2-3% at best) that he is forced to withdraw due to foot injury.

SECOND-RANK COMPETITORS

Florence & Corky (avg 18.5) - The clear crowd favorite, and she plays to them as well as Donny Osmond ever did. Might just be some life left in Mrs. Brady, the original MILF (or should that be "GILF" by now)?

Kurt & Anna (avg 20.0) - Put a long bomb into the end zone with his jive; with Anna calling his plays for him, he could very well break out.

STRUGGLING

Margaret & Louis (avg 16.5) - Got off to a bad start with the famous "Cape FAIL," improved this week, but still catching up to the rest of the pack. May not dodge bullets much longer; will probably be gone in or before Week 5.

The Situation & Karina (avg 16.5) - The hoped-for talent failed to show up, and worse, he may not have the temperament for ballroom, what with complaining about the music and all. Will probably be gone in or before Week 5.

There you have it! Samba and something else next week, and the dance must tell a story!

--------------------

snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2010 17:23      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Me, too!!

I don't know which is my guiltiest pleasure-The Hoff, Tom Jones, or Elvis impersonators.
[blush]

Am I the only one who thought Jennifer Grey's tears were staged and disingenuous? Didn't they not even get along during filming?

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2010 09:19      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florence Henderson is 76 (according to wikipedia). [Eek!]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2010 10:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>Florence Henderson is 76

She'll always be a 10 to me.

[Razz]

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2010 20:55      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Story Night tonight! And the pros lead it off in style with a foxtrot!

Jennifer and Derek reenacted a teacher-and-student crush with their samba, and Sabrina called it "F***ing HOT!" (8-8-8)

Florence and Corky re-enacted The Sound of Music with a waltz to "Edelweiss," and it was perfectly suited to them. I was in tears! (7-6-7)

Kurt and Anna did a foxtrot, of a guy with an umbrella cheering up a Russian lady in the rain. Very Gene Kelly, very good control. (8-8-7)

It was "Copacabana" for Margaret and Louis, who did a rainbow-fueled samba. She can shake it, but can't sync it well. She seemed out of it. (6-6-6)

Audrina and Tony portrayed a woman's last waltz with her ghostly Marine husband. It was beautifully effective and lovely. (8-9-9)

Bristol and Mark, in their foxtrot, portrayed a woman with a homeless man. It was a bit restrained, maybe, but pleasing to the eye. (6-6-7)

Brandy and Maks re-enacted The Bodyguard with a samba. I felt it was competent, but less than inspired. (8-8-8)

Kyle and Lacey used "Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop" for both their music and the theme of their waltz. The dance may have been a bit skippy, but he was good at portraying the romance. (8-7-8)

The Situation and Karina did some sort of samba "transformation" thing. It fell flat for me; I didn't really get it. (7-6-7)

Rick and Cheryl sambaed with Rick as a player who tanked the big game and needed cheering up. It came fast and furious, and it worked very well. (8-8-8)

Audrina is in the lead (26 points), Margaret brings up the rear (18). Who goes home tomorrow night???

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2010 20:25      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, it's official: Len has officially lost his marbles. Why else would he pick The Situation's futuristic mess of a foxtrot for the Judges' encore?

The entertainment tonight: Ne-Yo looks to be the heir to Michael Jackson's dance moves; Mark Ballas and Val Chmerkovskiy (Maks' brother) left it all out on the floor in a violin vs. guitar dance & music battle that left me wanting to see them do some symphonic metal; and stepping in for a sickly Susan Boyle, kicked-last-week dancer Michael Bolton did a nice number to accompany a beautiful waltz by Jonathan Roberts and Anna Trebunskaya.

And Margaret Cho has cha-cha'd her last. She took it really well.

Next week: Rumba, Argentine tango, and Acoustic Night in the Round! Wild!

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2010 21:46      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight: (1) Dancing in the round; (2) Acoustic night; (3) Double scores: technical and performance!

Kurt and Anna led off with a rumba that at times seemed stiff, and he seemed a little inhibited at times; is the sensuality getting to this straight-arrow Christian guy? (Technical 5-5-5, Performance 7-6-6)

Also rumba'ing: Brandy and Maks. She seemed competent with better footwork, but Sabrina just wasn't feelin' it. (Technical 7-8-7, Performance 9-8-9)

Rick and Cheryl did an Argentine tango that was aggressive and intense; it made Sabrina go "DAMN!!!" (Technical 6-7-6, Performance 6-7-7)

You might expect Kyle and Lacey to have trouble with the romantic rumba, but Kyle pointed his toes and improved his footwork, but his arms were flailing a bit. The ending was a touch odd. (Technical 6-6-6, Performance 8-7-7)

The Situation and Karina allegedly did an Argentine tango. WTF was that start? He was just standing in one place a lot of the time, and, when he moved, his feet were sloppy. Atrocious! (Technical 4-4-4, Performance 6-5-5)

Oh, Mama Brady! Florence and Corky did a strong and passionate rumba! Her moves may have been a bit slow, but they were precise...and sexy enough to inspire cognitive dissonance! (Technique 6-6-5, Performance 6-6-6)

Jennifer and Derek came out like a bullet in their Argentine tango, and were terrific! Her feet were excellent, and no "spaghetti arms" here! (Technique 9-9-9, Performance 10-9-10) (As I predicted, she is the first to get a "10" paddle!)

Who knew Bristol and Mark could turn on the sexy like that? Sabrina thought she nailed it. I thought she might have still been a tad restrained. As for Mamacita...who knows what Gov. Palin thought? (Technique 6-6-6, Performance 4-5-5)

Audrina and Tony rounded it off with an Argentine tango, featuring sharp lines. There was a tiny misstep but a strong finish. (Technique 8-8-8, Performance 8-7-7)

Tomorrow, the field narrows from 9 to 8!

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2010 21:13      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The encore of the week went to Jennifer & Derek, as if it could go anywhere else! And they got a standing ovation for it!

Both The Goo Goo Dolls and Florence and the Machine did acoustic numbers to match the theme tonight, accompanied by some beautiful dancing (GGD) and table dancing (F&tM). Meanwhile, the starts of "Forever Tango" shored off some EXTREME tango!

And The Situation has been permanently resolved! He exits, having shown off a little more of himself than Jersey Shore did.

Next week: TV Week!

Time now for Erbo's DWTS Week 4 Power Rankings!

- - - - - -

THE TOP TIER

Jennifer and Derek (avg 25.6) - The front-runners in three out of four weeks, and presently running away with the competition. 75% likely to get the first Perfect Thirty score.

Audrina and Tony (avg 22.8) - Nipping at the heels of the leaders, as much as they can; they're the only other couple to have stood atop the leaderboard. A stumble by Jennifer could open the door here.

Brandy and Maks (avg 23.2) - Brandy might be ruling the roost here if Jennifer weren't on the show. Seems to me she needs the most "boost" to get her in first place, though.

MOVERS AND SHAKERS

Kyle and Lacey (avg 21.6) - Youth and enthusiasm count for a lot here. If he can square his technique down, expect him to bubble up.

Rick and Cheryl (avg 21.2) - The better of the two "athlete" contestants right now. Still not smooth enough to break out, but he's working on it.

Kurt and Anna (avg 19.4) - Weaker than Rick, it seems the judges can't get past his hands. If he can't make it work, it might cost him.

STRUGGLING

Florence and Corky (avg 18.4) - Much as it pains me, age and experience can only take you so far. Her scores have lagged into Week 4, and, though she's an audience favorite, it's beginning to look like Mrs. Brady will be "squeezed out" soon.

Bristol and Mark (avg 18.2) - Make no mistake, Bristol is no slouch. Yet her early promise is fading, and, with all the "deadweight" gone by now, she's at serious risk of just being "squeezed out" because the competition moved on and she didn't.

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2010 20:59      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This week is TV Theme Week, and, since we're halfway through the competition, we got a recap of the contestants before the actual dancing began.

Brandy and Maks' Friends quickstep was more relaxed than before; she opened up more. But still a bit of trouble with her feet? (9-9-9)

Obviously, The Brady Bunch was the setting for a tango by Florence and Corky...it was a little jerky here and there, but SO much fun! She was playing 110% to the crowd! (7-7-7)

Kurt and Anna called upon the magic of Bewitched for their quickstep, and it worked! It started cute, and he kept up well through a fun routine. (8-8-8)

Audrina and Tony did a rumba to the theme from The Hills (her show). It was technically good, but there was no "sparkle" to -it; she seemed detached, and her facial -expressions were off. (7-8-8)

Look out, Angels! Here's Charlie, I mean, Kyle and Lacey! His foxtrot moves were smooth, but what the frak were those disco moves doing in the middle? His footwork was off in some ways, too. (8-5-7...Len really harshed his gig this week!)

Rick and Cheryl did their own reenactment of Hill Street Blues, as a rumba. This one had elegance, and the sensuality of the dance really came through. (8-8-8)

Even if it is the theme for The Monkees, what the FRAK were Bristol and Mark doing in those damn monkey suits?!? At least Bristol's performance skills are improving, but her technique was thrown off. (6-6-6)

Jennifer and Derek ran the "anchor leg" as a foxtrot to the Married...With Children theme. It was a classy number; they're still great. (8-8-9)

Now you gotta wait till tomorrow to see who goes home!

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2010 20:34      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brandy and Maks got the encore for the week. No surprise there.

Jason Derulo got to show off his MJ moves with "In My Head," and later did a soulful rendition of "Georgia on my Mind." And is it me, or does Shakira look younger every time I see her? "Loca" indeed!

One nice moment in the middle, when the Mwano family from the Congo not only gets to attend the show, but DANCE on it, accompanied by Our Lady Pros. Very touching. Their mother (in the audience) was so proud.

And, surprise! Bristol survived elimination! Instead, Florence and Corky were knocked out. Florence, a longtime admirer of the show, was nothing but gracious to everyone, right down to the production staff!

Next week: Double dances on "Rock Week"!

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2010 20:53      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is ROCK WEEK! First they padded the show by counting down the top 10 favorite dances from previous seasons, then on to the dances!

Audrina and Tony did paso, but it seemed a bit wobbly and spaghetti-armed, awkward, unaggressive and just not in character. (8-8-8)

The tango from Kyle and Lacey was better than last week. He addressed it aggressively, even if his footwork stumbled a bit. (8-7-8)

Uncharacteristically, Jennifer and Derek turned in a paso that was out of control, with a skippy start. Jennifer also nearly fell twice at the end, blowing the ending. (6-7-7)

Rick and Cheryl led off the tango like Diamond Dave. He seemed a bit more Megatron-like tonight, but the judges didn't see that. (8-8-8)

A great start for Bristol and Mark in their tango, and she just killed it! Holy crap, where did THIS come from?!? Plus a \m/ for the air guitar solo! (8-7-8)

The paso moves just fell flat for Kurt and Anna. It just kind of fell flat. (6-6-6)

Brandy and Maks finished with a very sharp tango...though Maks may have stumbled a bit! (8-9-9)

In the Rock'n'Roll Dance Marathon, couples were knocked out in the following order: Kurt & Anna (4 points), Bristol & Mark (5), Rick & Cheryl (6), Kyle & Lacey (7), Audrina & Tony (8), Jennifer & Derek (9), leaving Brandy and Maks as the winners (10).

High score for the week is Brandy & Maks with 36; Kurt & Anna are in the cellar with 22. Someone will go home tomorrow night!

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2010 20:40      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heart came on the results show to do "Barracuda," the song they didn't want Sarah Palin to use in her campaign! But WHAT A DANCE ROUTINE by Our Pros to accompany it!

The Macy's Stars of Dance tonight was a performance of "School's Out"--my high school was never like this!--and "We Will Rock You" done by a choir from John Burroughs High School (my ex-wife WENT to that school!).

Kylie Minogue performed her new single, proving why she's been a force in dance music for this last decade!

And SHOCKING ELIMINATION! Audrina and Tony are out! She was quite good...Len called it "ludicrous"! Well, that's what happens on a show like this...

Next week is the 200th episode, complete with guest judges (former DWTS celebs all), guest captains for the team dance (Apolo Anton Ohno and Kristi Yamaguchi, both past champions!), and more former competitors than you can shake a sequin at! The Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy grows nearer...

- - - - - - - - - -

And now...Erbo's Week 6 POWER RANKINGS!

THE TOP TIER

Brandy and Maks (average 24.1) - They're the current "momentum" players, and, if they keep this up, they'll win it all going away. 50% chance they make it to the finals.

Jennifer and Derek (average 24.7) - What the hell, Jennifer? She seems to be flaming out over the last 2 weeks! Sabrina wonders if she can physically take the punishment of the competition through the last few weeks. 40% chance they make it to the finals.

IN THE RUNNING

Rick and Cheryl (average 22.0) - He's definitely running and gunning, but his performances have been just a tad skippy. 20% chance they make it to the finals.

Kyle and Lacey (average 21.6) - Kyle needs more focus on control and his technique; if he can pick it up, his natural performing talent could make him a "spoiler." 10% chance they make it to the finals.

STRUGGLING

Kurt and Anna (average 19.9) - Kurt got the "miracle save" this week, and, if he doesn't shape up quick, he'll fall out.

Bristol and Mark (average 18.9) - Bristol got the "miracle save" last week, and came back gangbusters this week. But I question whether she can consistently produce results that will keep her in the competition. I overestimated her once; I will not do so again. Basically, she's hanging on for dear life right now.

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2010 20:06      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the 200th episode, we have two rounds!

Round 1 - We have 2 teams, each "captained" by a previous DWTS champ/Olympic gold medalist: Kristi Yamaguchi (Rick & Cheryl, Bristol & Mark, Kyle & Lacey) and Apolo Anton Ohno (Kurt & Anna, Brandy & Maks, Jennifer & Derek). They both did cha-cha-chas.

Team Kristi looked good, but Bristol may have misstepped in the intro. Rick was good in the solo, while Bristol was game, and Kyle was, well, DAMN! They had a big finish, too! (8-8-8)

Team Apolo started off well, too, but Kurt was a little off in timing, and didn't seem that he had improved as much in the solo. Brandy had a nice "back" move; Jennifer seemed tired but handled it well. They did Apolo's "pattycake" move in the finale and made it work, going string by the end. (9-9-9)

Round 2 - Each couple reinterprets a favorite dance from previous seasons, and the celebrity that did it first acts as a guest judge! (4 scores for each dance this round, in the order: guest judge, Carrie-Ann, Len, Bruno.)

Kyle and Lacey reinterpret Mel B's paso doble. And...Holy shit! Where the hell did THAT come from? Kyle channeled the HELL out of Maks (who was Mel B's pro partner in the original) and turned in a powerful performance! (10-9-8-8)

For Kurt and Anna, it was fellow football player Emmitt Smith's tango. There were a couple of missteps early on, and he recovered, but still looked kind of bewildered. Overall, it was fairly good. (10-8-8-8)

Bristol and Mark got a landmark performance to live up to...Kelly Osbourne's Viennese Waltz. And boy, did they live up to it, despite a teeny misstep or two. If Sarah Palin had been in the audience, she'd have been crying like the Prince of F***in' Darkness. (9-8-8-8)

Helio Castroneves' quickstep is a big act to follow, but Rick and Cheryl managed it well. He was completely in character; "This is the Rick we've been waiting to see!" said Sabrina. (10-9-9-9)

Brandy and Maks took on Gilles Marini's foxtrot, and Brandy stepped into it like she was born to the role. Crank the HEAT! (9-9-10-9)

We finish off with Jennifer and Derek re-enacting Drew Lachey's tango. She is good, as is her footwork, but is her body ready to give out from the stress? (10-9-9-9)

Jennifer and Brandy are tied for the lead with 61 (out of 70); Bristol brings up the rear with 57. Elimination tomorrow night, early so ABC can run its election coverage later!

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2010 19:28      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DWTS got interrupted from time to time with election returns tonight...but none of that talk here!

The encore tonight went to Team Apolo and their cha-cha-cha, following which the cast of the musical Mary Poppins did their thing. Excellent entertainment, in both cases.

Taylor Swift got two performances tonight: her latest hit, accompanied by a couple of pro couples, and "White Horses," to accompany some "best of" clips. Kanye West, thankfully, was NOT present in the ballroom.

We got some special awards, too, for "Most Dramatic Moment" (Marie Osmond fainting on the ballroom floor!), "Best Worst Dancer" (Kenny Mayne), and "Biggest [Pro] Dancer Transformation" (Louis Van Amstel). They also had some "Best Judges' Moments," but no award. But I think I'd give that one to Bruno. [Big Grin]

Rod Stewart came to perform "I Get A Kick Out Of You." After all these years, he's STILL got it.

And another shocker tonight! Rick and Cheryl were slamdunked off the dance floor! Rick, though, took it pretty well.

Next week: Instant Dance! The couples choreograph a dance...but they won't know the music until 20 minutes before performance time! What a gimmick!

And coming soon to ABC...Skating With The Stars! Guess it's twice as nice, on ice! More details about that later.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here's the latest edition of Erbo's DWTS Power Rankings!

1. Brandy and Maks - Still riding high on the top of the leader board. This could be Maks' year! 35% chance they win the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy.

2. Jennifer and Derek - Snapping at the heels of Brandy and Maks once again; if Jennifer's body can survive the punishment, they could easily jump ahead any time. 35% chance they win the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy.

3. Kyle and Lacey - Our young man has proven he got game, and he JUST might pull it off. 10% chance they win the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy.

4. Kurt and Anna - Still in this, but they may just fall short in Weeks 8 or 9. 50% chance of making it to the finals.

5. Bristol and Mark - Not a "miracle save" this week, as she pulled off her best scores to date. But so did everyone else. She's in serious danger of being left behind. 20% chance of making it to the finals.

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2010 20:55      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Special feature tonight in the quarterfinals...look for it in Round 2!

ROUND 1 - BALLROOM

Kyle and Lacey seemed like he got off-balance near the beginning of their Viennese waltz, but he did look good, much better than he's been. Did Lacey get an attack of the giggles at the end? (9-9-9)

Jennifer and Derek have a quickstep, but Jennifer is dancing with bad knee tendons, and her knee may have been a bit stiff in places. Her form DID look good, though; it was a wonderful performance. (9-9-9)

The waltz of Kurt and Anna looked a tad off; his feet were OK, but his head and arm made his upper body a bit out of joint. This was kind of a "Good tea, nice house" performance for me. (8-8-8)

And here come Bristol and Mark with an Argentine tango...where did THIS come from?!?!? This dance is so unlike Bristol...and so good, especially the sync! (8-8-8)

Countering with a waltz are Brandy and Maks, and the characherization of this one really stood out! It was captivating and graceful. (9-10-10)

ROUND 2 - LATIN INSTANT DANCE!

In this round, the couples know the dance beforehand, but only get their actual music 20 minutes before performance time! (This is actually a lot like real dance contests!)

Kyle and Lacey came out big, with a terrific jive that was flirtatious and funny, though he may have messed up a bit with his feet. (10-9-10)

Jennifer and Derek started their rumba with a move right out of Dirty Dancing...and it got HOT from there! Very beautiful figures in this dance. (PERFECT THIRTY!!! First of the season!)

The cha-cha-cha done by Kurt and Anna made him seem a little "static" in parts...but he improved later. His musicality is better! (8-8-8)

Bristol and Mark did a samba, and boy, can Bristol shake those boobies! She may have been a little slow on her feet, but it looked fun. (7-8-8)

The cha-cha-cha of Brandy and Maks started cute, but quickly heated up! Well-played! (9-9-10)

Jennifer and Brandy are tied for the lead with 57; Bristol is once again "tail-end Charlene" with 47. One couple must fall again, tomorrow night!

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture