homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Dancing With The Stars - Season 10 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dancing With The Stars - Season 10
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 20, 2010 20:53      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In other news, Pamela has an iPhone app!

http://krapps.com/2010/04/20/pamela-anderson-wakey-wakey-iphone-app/

[Eek!]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2010 21:26      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
In other news, Pamela has an iPhone app!

http://krapps.com/2010/04/20/pamela-anderson-wakey-wakey-iphone-app/

[Eek!]

There's an app for that?!?!? [Big Grin] [Eek!] [crazy]

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2010 21:43      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyhow, now that the "deadwood" (Kate) has been eliminated, it's time for another set of Erbo's DWTS Power Rankings.

The Top Tier

1. Nicole and Derek - This week, it was all about "How Nicole Got Her Groove Back." The rumba last week was a little flukey...her tango in Week 5 shows she's back in form.

2. Evan and Anna - He's #2, but he's #2 with a bullet. Evan got his best scores of the season for his Week 5 rumba. Even if Nicole winds up the eventual victor, Evan might just score a Perfect Thirty before she does.

3. Erin and Maks - Still got game, but they need to watch their backs, as either Pam or Jake could break in at any time. Erin's biggest hope is that Nicole and Evan leave the door open for her.

Second Rank

4. Pamela and Damian - Pam's average dance score is actually third in rank, but she hasn't quite achieved a breakout from mid-field yet. Her characterization is her strong point, and her can-do attitude should stand her in good stead.

5. Jake and Chelsie - The pilot is gaining altitude fast, but needs to keep an eye on his stall speed and watch for turbulence. Jake seems to have a good handle on the "trust your pro" aspect of the competition.

Needs Improvement

6. Niecy and Louis - Faltering after some early successes. Niecy is the most fun of the contestants, but my worry is that she's getting "behind the curve" in terms of the judges' expectations.

7. Chad and Cheryl - Has flashes of brilliance, but they're not often enough to propel him upward at this point. Chad's googly-eyes for Cheryl may be interfering with the judgement he needs to improve his dancing.

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2010 20:33      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 6 - Part 1

We've finally weeded out the "deadwood" in the competition, and DWTS has once again topped the ratings! So it's time for the stars to descend the "Staircases of Doom" once more, and for the dancing to begin!

ROUND ONE - Samba & Argentine Tango

Jake got to meet some actual samba dancers as part of Chelsie introduciong him to the samba...and he wants to prove he's a contender! Their samba, to "Comanche," seemed competent enough, very workmanlike, but Sabrina said, "I dunno...nope, it ain't got me zingin!" (Jake took a misstep on the step by the judges' table, but recovered well. He's good at fast recovery. Must be those pilot reflexes.) Len thought it was a polished performance, but lacked rhythm. Bruno agreed, and also felt it lacked "bounce." Carrie-Ann does like how he pushes it to the max out on the floor, but feels he needs to connect with the music and "ride it like the ocean." Um, Carrie-Ann, I think "air" metaphors might work better.
Scores: 7-7-7 (21)

With pressure on, Evan is actually the one trying to get Anna to crack under the strain! But his samba needs more hips, and, when they were rehearsing lifts for the swing dance, Evan took a spill...right onto his head! CRACK! Even Sabrina felt that! Fortunately, he only got a mild concussion, so he's good to go for the samba, and he can SHAKE that thang! "Now this is zinging!" said Sabrina. He proved that he can spin it and shake it, but I thought the routine was ballet-like in parts. Bruno liked the lyrical lines, but felt it wasn't quite right for the samba. Carrie-ann out-and-out felt like "You lost the battle." Len felt the dance didn't suit him, and that it was "too balletic." Hey, did I call it or what?

Can an Argentine tango be funny? Niecy and Louis are determined to find out! In the dance, the legs and feet are very important...Niecy is used to using her other assets! [Big Grin] The tango began, and Sabrina said "OH MY GOD!" and continued with various other expressions of astonishment as they turned out an intense routine, with leg lines as straight as a die and sharp as a scalpel. And the ending, with Niecy reacing for a cookie held just out of reach by Louis...hilarious! And fabulous! Carrie-Ann felt the comedy was a bit over the top, but loved the rest of it: "Nice to see you dancing!" Len, though, rather liked the comedy, and liked how the "story" worked, he just felt it lacked intensity. Bruno saw how much work she's put into her footwork, but warned: "Stay away from my lunchbox!" Quite frankly, given these comments, I felt the scores they gave her were a ripoff.

(Continued)

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2010 20:55      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 6 - Part 2

Erin is overanalyzing the samba, and poor Maks feels like he'll be driven to the funny farm by this process! In the samba, though, to "When I Get You Alone," she showed she could shake those poofy hips! Unfortunately, Sabrina was blinded by the fact that "MAKS WENT SHIRTLESS!" Not Len, though, who picked now to get crotchety and tell Maks off for all the "shirtless messin' about." Thankfully, Bruno and Carrie-Ann were more complementary, Bruno saying "This is a girl who can do it!" and Carrie-Ann saying "You nailed it! I love it!"
Scores: 9-7-9 (25)

Chad drags Cheryl off with him to Cincinnati, for a visit to the hometown crowd, then vows to buckle down and become more "leading" in the Argentine tango, to really "manhandle" Cheryl. To me, the dance seemed slow and stiff. It was very powerful, though, and the lift at the end (which IS allowed here!) got a "Wow!" out of Sabrina. The judges, however, saw something I didn't. "The Revenge of Ochocinco!" cried Bruno. "Tonight you nailed it!" said Carrie-Ann. Len summed it up best: "On Dancing with the Stars, you either grow, or you go. Tonight, you grew." (Snarky comment about that last line deleted)
Scores: 8-8-8 (24)

Nicole heard "salsa" instead of "samba" and thought she'd get to use her Gloria Estefan moves...but Derek set her straight. She's overanalyzing things a bit (a common thing), and may have started slow in the samba, to "Maria," but came out smoking and improved later! They were nicely in sync, and their big finish earned a standing ovation from the crowd. "That was ridiculous!" said Carrie-Ann. "The only thing I could see to criticize was your facial expression!" Len went off on the lines at the end, calling them ugly, and chided Derek for not including a couple of moves that I can't spell. "You are one singular sensation!" said Bruno. "That was superlative! You have nothing to worry about." Small wonder this one earned, if not a Perfect Thirty, the coveted Bruno Fist Pump.
Scores: 9-7-10 (26)

(Continued)

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2010 21:26      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 6 - Part 3

Pamela and Damian, fresh off being in the Bottom Two last week, want to stay out of it this week, and just be who they are and dance. For the Argentine tango, she's having trouble relaxing into the lifts, but she wants to claim this dance as her own! They gave her some interesting music...a "tango-ized" instrumental version of "Enjoy The Silence" that would have made Martin L. Gore do a double-take. And Sabrina said, "Well, I'll be damned!" It was sexy as all hell, it was classic and modern at the same time, and it was a real treat to watch. Len thought the flavor was good, and of course Pam can do "seductive," but thought it was a bit "scruffy." Bruno raved about her characterization, which was, as before, her strength. Carrie-Ann also noted the characterization, but she wanted to see a bit more technique in the legs.
Scores: 7-7-8 (22)

ROUND TWO: The Swing Dance Marathon

This is a classical ballroom competition, with all the contestants out on the floor at once, and being eliminated one by one. First couple knocked out gets 4 points, second gets 5, and so on, up to the last couple standing, who gets 10. For this dance, all the couples are training hard, especially on those lifts, and especially Chad, who is even diagramming strategy! Tom gets to do his golf-announcer voice from backstage as the couples take the floor!

First couple out is Jake and Chelsie (4 points). Chad strips off his shirt to get attention, keeping in the running past Niecy and Louis (5). Erin is upside down, and Evan is having fun, but not enough to keep Evan and Anna (6) on the floor. Chat may be acting just too athletic, which is why Chad and Cheryl (7) got signaled next. Pamela seems to be running out of steam by this point, and Pamela and Damian (8) are next out. There's interplay between the last two couples on the floor, but Erin and Maks (9) are next out, leaving Nicole and Derek (10) to claim victory! Len noted that he got outvoted all the time, but thought the best couple won. "You all did fabulously!" said Bruno. It got a little insane at times, said Carrie-Ann, but it was great.

Nicole and Derek lead with 36 points tonight, with Jake and Chelsie bringing up the rear at 25. Who goes home next? It's anyone's guess!

-30-

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2010 22:30      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 6 - Results

After last night's leaderboard dustup, we immediately get to the first couple saved...Erin and Maks! Our sports reporter still has game!

Len reported on last night: Nicole he felt was a bit of a disappointment, all sizzle and no sausage. (I found out that the two samba moves he wanted to see are "voltas" and "bota fogas." And now you know as much about it as I do.) Evan, well, fell from heaven! (Len's a poet, and he doesn't know it, but his feet show it, because they're Longfellows. [Smile] ) Jake, of course, stumbled on the step there. Pamela smoldered, but he felt her footwork was imprecise. He really did enjoy Niecy's dance, though. Chad and Erin were the two breakout stars though; Chad gave his best performance of the series, while Erin might have scored higher except for the distraction of a shirtless Maks. And the swing marathon was just brilliant!

The judges' encore of the week was, surprisingly (or maybe not so much), Chad's and Cheryl's Argentine tango. It gave Sabrina body chills all over again!

This week's musical guest was Melissa Etheridge, who played her new song, "Fearless Love," to accompany dancers Tony, Chelsie, Maks, and Anna. She even walked herself right down onto center floor to belt out that song. A powerful performance, both by Etheridge and the dancers.

Next couple safe: Chad and Cheryl! From the shotgun, he picked up great yardage this week!

We got a great flamenco guitar performance, accompanied by some hot salsa dancing. A big fat "Yow!" to both...and Carrie-Ann even picked up a souvenir! (One of the male dancers' hats, which they flung into the crowd at one point.)

The guys from ESPN's "Sports Science" attached high-tech measuring devices to Dmitry and Edyta, and used those to get some insight into their movements. Their conclusion: These dancers are serious athletes, on par with any other pros out there. How long before dancesport makes the Olympics?

Melissa Etheridge returned to the stage to lay down a great performance of her classic hit, "Come To My Window." Edyta and Alec accompanied the song with a compelling, powerful dance routine. These may be my favorite musical guest performances of the season.

Next couple that are safe...Nicole and Derek! And so they keep climbing the ladder...while Jake and Chelsie get screwed with by Tom, who says we'll learn their fate later.

In the process of some of Brooke's interviews, we hear that Chad will be doing the Viennese waltz next week, while Pamela will take on the samba. Meanwhile, we need to play "Pad The Show," so we get an interview segment on what it's like to have gotten halfway through the competition, complete with "tension convention" camera angles and all.

The next couple safe is...Pamela and Damian! By this point, I have almost forgiven her for besmirching my ex-wife's name...

And the first couple we know is in the Bottom Two is...Jake and Chelsie! He's caught a little wind shear there!

And the next "safe" couple is...Evan and Anna! Heaven knows an Olympic skater won't be fazed by one flukey set of judges' marks!

So our Bottom Two are Jake and Chelsie, and Niecy and Louis. And the couple now eliminated is...

Jake and Chelsie! Sorry, Jake, you did not receive a rose; it's time to say your goodbyes!

And Jake is very, very gracious about it, too, thanking everyone who brought him on DWTS and who kept him on for six weeks. He was visibly choked up as he told Chelsie, "You're one of my best friends." (His chosen girlfriend, Vienna, was in the audience, and she looked sad, too.) A true gentleman to the last...and what a contrast to the knockout of Kate last week! Jake, you're definitely jake with me.

Next week, it's time for...The Cha-Cha-Cha-Challenge! What the hell is that supposed to mean? I don't know! I guess we'll find out!

-30-

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 20:20      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 7 - Part 1

Five couples have fallen by the wayside, six are left, and only three weeks till we award the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy! And DWTS is STILL on top of the ratings! This week, we have the Cha-Cha-Cha-Challenge for you! The action is hot and heavy this week, so let's roll it!

ROUND ONE

Erin and Maks are a little miffed about Len getting miffed at Maks...only this week, Maks vows to rip off his pants! Erin is down with that, but wants to play it up! On camera, she begs Len to focus on the dancing, not on the man removing his clothes! They did a quickstep to "Dancin' Fool," and started it off by not only ripping off Maks' pants, but Erin's skirt as well! (Thankfully, this just resulted in a color scheme change, from black to red-pink.) I loved their synchrony up on stage, and Sabrina noticed that Erin no longer had the "death grip" on Maks! Len loved that opening, though dreaded if they decided to do "Great Balls of Fire," and called it her best dance yet. It was "lightning fast and bright as Len's tie!" according to Bruno. Carrie-Ann pointed out a bit of an issue with her head line, but thought it was gorgeous.
Scores: 9-9-9 (27)

Chad and Cheryl are aiming for a championship, but Chad needs some technique help! Fortunately, Tony, being now free of Kate (further comments about Kate elided in the interest of keeping it clean), can come help out! They have a Viennese waltz this week, set to "Sparks," and I would say that he has it in gear! Sabrina wasn't getting chills, though, as he still seemed a bit sluggish, and his legs were a bit off. Altogether, though, a decent routine. Bruno, disbelieving how graceful he could be, called him a "gentle giant." Carrie-Ann loved the arms, and said there was nothing more sexy than a man learning how to be tender and graceful. "Remember this date," said Len. "This is the night you became a contender!" (Oh, and happy birthday, Cheryl! That necklace that Chad gave you...WOAH!)
Scores: 8-9-8 (25)

Nicole and Derek vow this week: "No hodgepodge!" The song they're using this week, "You Light Up my Life," is a favorite of Nicole's aunt, so she feels the need to do this one well! The frame is a challenge for her, though...and Derek really needs to praise her more! I didn't want to breathe watching that routine...it was pure grace, start to finish. That last spin looked like a skating move! Carrie-Ann called her "the best dancer we've ever had," but felt they weren't QUITE connected...Len thought there were one or two little technical bits in hold, but the rest was wonderful. "You're as close to dancing royalty as you can be!" said Bruno, and noted that any mistakes were due to the especially intricate choreography.

(Continued)

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 20:43      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 7 - Part 2

Pamela and Damian take a little time to visit the California Wildlife Center, Pam's favorite charity, before getting to waltz training. Pam has a bit of trouble with her hips, so Damian used an old trick, tying them together with a long scarf. The dance, to "At This Moment," made Pamela look very ethereal. (I like the "natural look" on her. It's refreshing.) Sabrina said she seemed a bit stiff, and her feet looked a bit confused. Len liked the quiet, understated look, but thought she could use some firmness in the upper body. (Get your minds out of the gutter!) [Big Grin] Bruno pointed out that, as always, she got the character right, but the top line could use some work. Carrie-Ann noted how her legs improved, and loved the tone of the dance.

Niecy and Louis are starting to bicker a little bit as they work on her feet and her frame at the same time. At one point, Louis got a phone call from Kelly Osbourne (his Season 9 partner), and Niecy got jealous: "Kelly, he don't dance wit' you no more, boo! Let's go, Van Amstel!" (She sounds SO much like my friend Lexxi in a good mood.) They did a quickstep to "At The Top," which exuded class from start to finish. She kept up well, and the dip at the end was the perfect cherry on the top. "You never looked more gorgeous!" said Bruno, who praised her footwork. Carrie-Ann called it her best dance, and that everything worked well. Len agreed, just saying that she needed to lift her ribcage a bit. (GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER!)
Scores: 9-8-8 (25)

Evan and Anna are working even harder, at Evan's request, trying to get out of 5th place. They're aiming for a proper Argentine tango, and it has to be perfect! The tango was to "Bust Your Windows," and it started out by making Sabrina say "Holy S**T!" and then continue to sputter from there through most of the routine. It was truly spectacular, and deserved the BIG standing ovation it got. "You have the eye of the tiger! So sexy, so refined!" said Carrie-Ann. Bruno said, "You dance like a true alpha male! String, powerful, determined, sexy...everything a girl could want!" Len's commentary, though, made it worth it: "I knew you were 'nice on ice,' I wanted to see if you could be 'good on wood'...tonight, I'm gonna dust off a paddle I haven't used yet." Could it be...?
Scores: 10-10-10 (PERFECT THIRTY!!!) (It is! First one of the season!)

(Continued)

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 21:22      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 7 - Part 3

ROUND TWO - THE CHA-CHA-CHA-CHALLENGE

Our stars are divided into two teams: Pamela and Damian, Chad and Cheryl, and Nicole and Derek make up "Team Gaga," while Erin and Maks, Evan and Anna, and Niecy and Louis make up "Team Madonna." They need to do an opening and closing bit all together, plus solo sections. Each team will get one score, which gets added to its members' individual scores for the week. Clear?

Team Gaga plans to have Pamela lead off bringing the sexy in the solos, then Chad, and then Nicole, their strongest dancer, on the anchor leg. Nicole, though, hasn't done a cha-cha-cha yet! They also need to develop their sync on the group parts. The dance is to "Telephone," and Sabrina thought she spotted some problems at the start. Pamela also seemed to mess up a bit in her solo, whereas Chad has definitely improved, and Nicole is great as always! (Is she losing her costume there?) Pam's timing was still off a bit in the end. Len thought the formation bits were right on, and Nicole came out and nailed it. Bruno loved the end sequence, and thought Chad was turning up the heat. Carrie-Ann caught Pamela's struggles a bit, but liked how they were all "into it."

Team Madonna is planning to give Niecy a centerpiece role in the dance, which she likes! Evan is the cha-cha-cha newbie, here, and needs help on his hips! As they scatter across the country to practice their solos, they keep in touch via text message! Maks warns Erin: "Do not embarrass me!" They do the dance to "Holiday," and start it off with the three stars doing an intro on their own, sans pros! Chad showed that he can swing his hips, but he's still a little balletic in spots. Niecy is a downright saucy little creampuff! And Erin is the strong point here, as she HAS the Madonna look down pat, fresh and fun-loving! Their sync was off a bit at the end, but the line-dancing bits were good, and, whoosh, off come the skirts at the end! Bruno thought the dance had a bit of samba feel to it, and there was one bit of wrong-footing there. Carrie-Ann thought the skirt-removal should have come sooner in the ending, and noted some problems with the sync. Len thought they were very brave to do that opening without the pros.

After all of that, Evan and Nicole are tied atop the leader board with 54 points; Niecy is the low lady on the totem pole, just 5 points back. Tomorrow night's elimination is going to be tough...like seeing who gets to go on the lifeboat, and who goes down with the Titanic! The suspense is terrible! I hope it'll last.

-30-

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 19:52      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 7 - Results

With such an extraordinarily close competition last night, and of such an extraordinarily high caliber, tonight's elimination will be extraordinarily PAINFUL! So they get to it immediately, pitting Nicole and Derek versus Erin and Maks.

Erin and Maks...are in the Bottom Two! WHAT?!?!? Have the viewers gone mad? They're riding great momentum off the last two weeks!

Which means Nicole and Derek are safe! And the Pussycat's (Doll's) nine lives aren't giving out yet!

Len was just thrilled by this past week, because everyone upped their game. Erin was "fun, fast, and fabulous." Chad danced with gentility and smoothness. Nicole did such great dancing through such difficult routines. Pamela's waltz was quiet and understated, but excellent! Niecy scored a knockout this week! And, just when we had such a close spread in the scores...Evan comes along and blows EVERYONE out of the water, with the season's first Perfect Thirty! And the cha-cha's...Team Gaga came at it full on, and Team Madonna turned in a really good job, despite some mistakes!

The Judge's Encore for the week is Team Gaga's cha-cha-cha...but not appearing in tonight's performance will be an injured Pamela! (We learn later that she hurt her leg a bit, and had to sit out tonight, but will be OK to go next week, should she stay on.) Chelsie takes her place, and you can really tell from her performance how much Pam got wrong. (Nicole, if anything, came out even hotter than in the performance for the record!)

Train is tonight's musical guest, performing their new single, "Hey Soul Sister." It's a very understated performance, with a great accompaniment by Mark, Cheryl, Dmitry, Tony, Chelsie, and Lacey. My former coworker Jim will probably appreciate the use of the ukulele in the song.

Next up! Evan and Anna...are safe! And America utters a collective, "DUH!!!"

Chad and Cheryl...are "still in jeopardy." Because that's just how we roll on DWTS, bitches!

Next week, we start in on the 2-dances-a-week routine, and we get an interview segment with Our Pros on that, in a new application of "Pad The Show Technology."

Next couple safe: Niecy and Louis! And Sabrina went absolutely nuts! (She likes Niecy. Well, so do I.)

Pamela and Damian...are still in jeopardy! And Pam's words match my thoughts: "Oh, the DRAMA!" (And I never thought I'd find myself agreeing with her on ANYTHING.)

In another round of Pad-The-Show, Melissa Rycroft gets a look at some of the "behind the scenes" jobs that make DWTS go. Amusing.

The Macy's Stars of Dance performance tonight is by Cirque du Soleil Las Vegas, with their new show, "Viva Elvis." Our Pros are good, but these guys are in a completely different class, as much acrobats as dancers. Priscilla Presley, Season 6 competitor and Elvis' ex-wife, was in the audience for the occasion.

Train returns to play their biggest hit (no surprises there), "Drops of Jupiter." Our dancers for this routine are Louis and Karina; Karina seems to have learned from the Edyta School of Costume Design (motto: "Less is more").

Next couple safe...Chad and Cheryl! Football metaphors are becoming increasingly inappropriate, as Chad has become simply too good of a dancer.

This means Pamela and Damian join Erin and Maks in the Bottom Two. And now, the moment you've all been dreading...the couple eliminated is...

Pamela and Damian! Sorry, Snaggy, it seems the honor of Canada can only go so far! Ms. Anderson crashes and burns like Barb Wire!

Pamela, not being the Super-Bitch that Kate is, is a very gracious eliminatee, calling this one of the best experiences of her life. It's surely one of the best experiences in the show's life, as Tom reveals they've been trying to get her to compete almost from the beginning! It was worth the wait; Pamela has proven herself to be a worthy competitor. I make no apologies for my opinion of her personally, but I will be sorry to see her depart the dance floor.

With five couples left, next week, we double up on routines and go that much harder! Three weeks to go until the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy is awarded! Will Niecy jiggle her way up the ranks? Can Chad sustain the competition at this level? Can Erin make the break for the lead at the last minute? In the duel between Evan and Nicole, who will come up short? Stay with it, friends!

-30-

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 20:06      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOOOOOOOOOO!
NOOOOOOOOOO!
NOOOOOOOOOO!
NOOOOOOOOOO!

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

stupid show.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 20:22      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, I feel your pain; SOMEONE had to go tonight, and it was gonna hurt no matter WHO went...

That said, it's now time for another look at Erbo's DWTS Power Rankings!

1. TIE: Nicole and Derek, Evan and Anna - These two couples have been running neck-and-neck through most of the competition. Nicole is consistently good; Evan has been, too, except for the Week 6 anomaly, but he made up for that in Week 7 in a big way, by, as I guessed, scoring a Perfect Thirty before Nicole. Right now, because of that perfect score, Evan has what Go players call sente and what D&D players call "initiative." It remains to be seen what he'll do with it. Expect at least one more Perfect Thirty out of each of these couples, and likely more.

3. Erin and Maks - Now close enough to the top two couples to be snapping at their heels, ready to pounce if one of them stumbles. Erin seems to have made it "over the hump" and lived up to her capabilities; I give her a 50-50 shot of scoring at least one Perfect Thirty in the final three weeks.

4. Chad and Cheryl - Chad has been on an absolute tear the last three weeks, improving to top-tier scores in that time frame. I think it's likely he'll pass Week 8 only to be reluctantly "squeezed out" in Week 9, though, if one of the top three stumbles, he could be the "dark horse" (NOT RACIST!) in the finals.

5. Niecy and Louis - Niecy absolutely steals the show whenever she gets time on camera outside of her dancing, and we love her for it. Sadly, though, she looks to be the next candidate for elimination, as the field needs to narrow and she's just the one furthest "behind the curve" dancing-wise at this point. If she pulls off something incredible, though, like scoring a Perfect Thirty next week without Chad managing one, she could go farther. And oh, how I wish she could!

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2010 21:11      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 8 - Part 1

We're back to 2 hours this week, which is cool, and each dancer does two routines, which is ALSO cool! So there's a LOT of action tonight!

ROUND ONE - BALLROOM ROUND

Chad is kind of schizo this week...sometimes he's quiet, sometimes he's loud, so Cheryl just has to cope! Chad seems to be getting serious though! They have a tango, to "Sweet Dreams," that left Sabrina going, "Where did THIS f***ing come from?" Definitely strong lines coming out, and he's certainly not being led around as much as he used to be! The finishing move was spectacular, even if just barely in control. Len thought it needed more polish and refinement, though. Bruno picked up on how emotionally involved Chad was, but he needs to be slicker. Carrie-Ann loved the attack and intensity, but thought his posture was "funky."

Niecy is busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest! She gets up at 4:30 to get ready and do her show, and only after that does she report in for rehearsal with Louis! She may be tired, but she never complains one bit! They come out to the strains of "I've Got You, Babe" and execute a very elegant opening figure for a Viennese waltz! It was apparent throughout that she is really having fin with this, and it was beautiful to watch. "She's AMAZING!" said Sabrina. Bruno thought it was very pretty and had great movement, but thought she was swinging her arms a bit wildly. Carrie-Ann thought there was "too much push and pull," and that the transitions weren't quite there. Len was pleasantly surprised, thinking it was lovely and floaty, and her carriage was gorgeous, but with those arms flailing around, thought it was a wonder she could hear the music.
Scores: 7-8-8 (23)

Erin has to do a jump into a lift in Maks' arms, but doesn't want to look like she's "humping a fire hydrant"! She's also scared of the jump itself! She came out like a tigress in the Argentine tango, and carried off the jump perfectly! And the rest of the routine, well, it just rocked. The audience loved it! Carrie-Ann planted a big kiss on Len, then called it "SO hot!" She praised Erin's use of her legs. "You dirty, dirty girl!" said Len. "I LOVED IT!" "I never knew you could be so bendy!" said Bruno. "You were ON FIRE!" If she misses the Perfect Thirty, it won't be by much.
Scores: 9-10-9 (28)

This week, Evan gets to turn the tables on Anna, coaching and judging her as she takes to the ice! Back in rehearsal, Anna wants their waltz this week to be very romantic. She notes that the waltz requires no hip action, but feels Evan needs to be less "cold." They start out unusually as the opening bars of "Open Arms" play, lying on the floor! They do get up, though, and dance with awesome extensions and beautiful figures. Len was caught in a pickle...he didn't care for the "messin' about" at the start, but his posture, movement, and footwork were excellent. "Romeo and Juliet reawakened!" cried Bruno, who called it "something to behold." Carrie-Ann thought the lines were impeccable, but that Evan still needed to "lose himself" in the moment.

(Continued)

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2010 21:34      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 8 - Part 2

Nicole has a good creative relationship with Derek, offering him ideas for the choreography all the time. But she's still growing, and learning, and sometimes getting frustrated...they come out with a foxtrot to "Haven't Met You Yet," and Sabrina and I were of mixed minds about it. I thought it was cute, while Sabrina pulled a Len and said there was "too much messin' about"! The "story" behind the dance was cute, and Nicole kept her character, almost as well as, say, Pamela might have. "ONE AND A HALF MINUTES OF PURE DANCING JOY!" roared Bruno. Carrie-Ann called it "dazzling" and said, "You don't phone it in!" Len only criticized the lack of body contact in hold, saying they turned it into "an enchanting love story."
Scores: 10-9-10 (29)

ROUND TWO - LATIN "DECADES" ROUND

To warm us up, Gary and Rita Geckman, pro dancers, gave us a demo of a futuristic quickstep which had Sabrina going "WOW!"

Chad picked "The 60's" for his jive, and they're doing it to a great song, "Love Man." He wants it to be all about the ladies and throwing cash around, a task that's right up his alley! Sabrina was quick to render her verdict, though: "NOT! He's f***ed!" I liked the way they "quoted" two of the dances of the Sixties, The Twist and the Mashed Potato, but overall, it was stiff and slow, and Sabrina said, "Just not there!" Len noted it was high energy and fun, but there weren't a lot of kicks, and the few that were there were terrible. "You pimped that jive!" said Bruno. Carrie-Ann liked the groovy energy, maybe getting a little too wild, though.

Niecy has a problem. She has a tough time capturing the attitude of the paso doble, because she isn't naturally intense. Louis works with her though, especially considering their decade: the 90's, the age of the diva. Niecy can do "diva," no problem! [Big Grin] The paso was set to "Rhythm Is A Dancer," and Sabrina was left goggling, "WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?!?!?" She was as intense as fark out there on the dance floor! Perhaps, though, she was a bit slow due to her, well, "assets" that carry extra mass, and she MIGHT have blown the ending a bit. "You threw yourself into this dance," said Bruno, "...like an avalanche!" He thought she needed more control. Carrie-Ann praised her ambition, but felt the beginning was like bumper cars, the power balance all out of whack. "Everyone has a dance that just doesn't suit their personality," said Len, sadly. "This was yours." And, with that, I threw ALL my votes to Niecy...she needs 'em!
Scores: 7-6-7 (20)

(Continued)

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2010 21:54      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 8 - Part 3

"What is an 80's rumba?" asks a confused Erin. Maks doesn't know either, but he's game to try! They've got the parts down (Erin in the Flashdance gear, Maks as Don Johnson), but Erin needs to smooth out her lines, and she needs to believe! (Paging Kelly Osbourne! Someone needs a "Gertrude Lang moment"!) The rumba is to "Missing You," and Erin does a solo on stage at the start, much as she did in an earlier dance. The routine itself left me going "Mmmmm..." She even had a bit of a "wardrobe malfunction" at the end; she lost her belt! Carrie-Ann was quick to point out that Erin's self-doubt is still showing. "You're beautiful! You should love every minute!" Len liked the mix of steps and thought the dance was beautiful in spots, but called it "jerky." Bruno was most effusive: "You make beautiful music together! You're getting better and better...I think you should be in the final!" Which is where my Power Rankings would put her...
Scores: 8-8-9 (25)

Evan is thrilled by the idea of doing a "futuristic" cha-cha-cha...he can do "Android" better than Google can! [Big Grin] He and Anna plan to throw in lots of fun moves. They did it to "Bulletproof," and it came out like The Fifth Element! (Anna was a dead ringer for Leeloo in her costume.) I saw the hip action in there, which, of course, Evan was trying to do "mechanically," so it worked! It was funky, and it really suited him. Len thought Evan lucked out, though his actual dancing wasn't overwhelming; the "futuristic" theme suited him to a T. "Mister Spock meets Barbarella in Cha-Cha Trek: The Next Generation, in 3-D!" crowed Bruno, who called it inventive and creative. Carrie-Ann liked how he was committed to the character this time, and thought the movements worked well.
Scores: 9-8-9 (26)

Nicole and Derek are doing a paso doble, from the 50's. This strikes Derek as...well..."im-paso-ble." The era and the dance just don't mix well! He's stumped, but Nicole tries to help him out, calling this a mix of "Elvis and the bullfight." And, surprisingly enough (or maybe not), it worked! This was a 100% proper paso doble, start to finish, and was probably the best adaptation of a "theme" to the paso that I've seen since Drew Lachey and Cheryl Burke did it to "Thriller" in season 2. "Beauty and the rebel!" said Bruno. "The flavor of Spain never tasted so good!" Carrie-Ann, giggling, asked, "How did you DO that?!?" "It's not in my nature to be nice about two dances." said Len, "but I'm sorry, I couldn't find anything to criticize!" Hmm...Bruno exults, Carrie-Ann is dumbfounded, and Len has nothing to criticize...I'm pretty sure what the outcome is gonna be...
Scores: 10-10-10 - PERFECT THIRTY!!! (Second one of the season; first for Nicole!)

What an ending! Nicole has high score tonight, with 59 points, while Niecy has 43 and becomes "tail-end Charlene." But the viewer votes could still turn it upside down! Will they? You'll have to come back tomorrow to find out!

-30-

--------------------

snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 10:51      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Erbo, this is cool! Evan is my fave, not only because I love figure skating, but I think he's such a great guy, too.

A side note: If Evan wins this, and Lee wins Idol. it will be a sweep of sorts for Illinois natives! Both are from suburbs of Chicago, my home town. [hearts]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 17:57      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, snupy, I'm pulling for Crystal to win in American Idol. Why? Take a look at her last name. Now take a look at my last name. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 20:00      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 8 - Results

After last night, it's another wrenching elimination...we've got five couples, but only four tickets to the semifinals! That also means we have a lot more time to Pad The Show(TM), so we start off with Len's recap!

Len wasn't sure about Evan's waltz, but definitely thought the "futuristic cha-cha-cha" was too much "era" and not enough "dance"! Erin's Argentine tango was fantastic, but her rumba had a lot of jerky stops and starts. Niecy and Chad are the two "pretenders," as opposed to the other "contenders." Chad's posture was poor in the tango, but his jive was funky and pretty good. Niecy showed no feat in the Viennese waltz, but her paso needed more drama. Len was mesmerized by Nicole's foxtrot, though, and her 50's paso was outright GENIUS! Is it any wonder that Nicole has earned the Judges' Encore for the week with that dance? Is it any wonder that the judges AND the audience give her a standing ovation afterward? No, and no!

The Gipsy Kings are tonight's musical guests, and they start off by playing their rendition of Randy Newman's "You've Got A Friend In Me," as heard in the upcoming Disney-Pixar movie Toy Story 3. CROSS-PROMOTION ALERT!...but it goes deeper than that, as Tony and Cheryl actually choreographed a paso doble routine that Buzz Lightyear and Jessie perform in the movie, and they recreate that routine on the dance floor tonight, with the help of Dmitry and Kym! TS3 is going to be SO awesome... [Geek]

As we do every year, we get Kenny Mayne, All-Time Worst Dancer in DWTS History, teaming up with Jerry Rice and Len for DanceCenter, a spoof of ESPN SportsCenter.

And finally, we learn who the first safe couple is...Nicole and Derek! She's a sexy mama, who knows just how to get what she wanna!

And one of the couples in the Bottom Two this week...Chad and Cheryl! Offside, number 85, half the distance to the goal line, still third down!

And now, DWTS brings you the first-ever College Ballroom Dance Championships! we'll get two teams dancing this week, two next week, and the "winners" from each week will meet in the finals results show! We get scores from the judges, and the first couple rounds even get viewer votes, just like The Real Thing! So let's lay it out!

The team from the University of California, San Diego may be a bunch of "geeks," but THESE geeks have four national championships under their belts! Much was made of how they "go to school in Paradise." (I'm an alumnus of their sister school, UC Santa Barbara, and I think ours is better. But that's just me.) They came out doing a samba, and the five couples had a nice formation right out of the gate! It wasn't as fast-paced as I'd expect of a "competition" samba, but they executed a number of figures well, including a tricky death spiral. Love it! Len pointed out that the key here was interesting patterns, which they did, but the timing was just a tad off in parts. Bruno spotted that, too, but did say the effect of all those intricate formations was good. Carrie-Ann loved the transitions, but thought they might have "Evan Lysacek syndrome," in that they focus on technique to the detriment of feeling the dance. (Ooh! Evan! BURN!)

The Purdue University team features some good, down-to-earth Midwesterners, including one guy, Chris, who blatantly admitted he joined the dance team to meet girls! [Big Grin] Their four couples chose a mambo, and might have been a tad off in the sync up front, but it was well-executed...though I wondered if Carrie-Ann would count off for the lifts. Bruno definitely noticed the hip action, but thought there were a couple of timing issues, and not enough figure changes! The other two judges would agree with that last assessment; Carrie-Ann thought they really brought the mambo spirit to life, though, while Len confessed to Chris: "You started for the same reason I did!" Len may be a cranky old geezer, but he's no dummy!
Scores: 8-7-7 (22)

After that, the Gipsy Kings took the stage again, to play one of their biggest hits, "Bamboleo," accompanied by the dancing of four Special Guest Pros. And we got another DanceCenter segment, about which, the less said, the better.

Finally, we see who else is safe...Evan and Anna! He may not have capitalized on his momentum, but he triple-axeled his way on up the ladder!

Joining them as safe...Erin and Maks! In Soviet Russia, semifinals advance to you!

Which leaves Niecy and Louis in the Bottom Two, with Chad and Cheryl. And the couple eliminated this week is...

Niecy and Louis! Sorry, Niecy, I tried! But you've jiggled your last in the dance competition!

Niecy was very happy she managed to survive this long in the competition, against such fantastic competitors, and thanked everyone most effusively. Tom even got in a comment about how surprising and nice it was to see her being elegant, for which Niecy mainly credited Louis. And, as they made their way to the center of the floor for their last dance, Niecy yelled over to conductor Harold Wheeler, "Can we get crunk in here?" A jokester--and a fine lady in her own right--to the last.

So it's down to four, and in many ways, it's down to the home stretch! Tune in next week for the Season 10 Semifinals, as we creep closer and closer to the awarding of the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy!

-30-

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 21:44      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now...the Erbo DWTS Semifinals Power Rankings!

1. Nicole and Derek (average score 26.7) - Nicole's hallmark is her utter consistency; she has never placed below second on the leaderboard each week. She has captured the initiative from Evan, scoring her first Perfect Thirty this week. I consider it at least 50% likely she will win the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy.

2. TIE: Evan and Anna (average score 25.5), Erin and Maks (average score 23.4) - Evan is dropping a bit, while Erin has stepped up her game. Evan failed to answer Nicole's Perfect Thirty with one of his own, which caused him to lose the initiative he gained last week. Meanwhile, Erin has yet to score a Perfect Thirty, but did get Len (considered the hardest judge to please by most people) to raise his "10" paddle, so I consider her "on the cusp" of a Perfect Thirty of her own. Roughly 25% chance for either of these couples to take home the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy.

4. Chad and Cheryl (average score 21.5) - In terms of averages, Chad is still below Pamela, despite surviving two more eliminations than she did. (Pamela's average is 22.8.) Chad, despite MAJOR improvements, is simply not a competitor on the same level as the top three. 98% probability he will be eliminated in Week 9.

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 20:14      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 9 (Semifinals) - Part 1

We have four couples left, and Tom lifts the curtain enough to reveal an interesting factoid: Each of these couples have led in the viewer voting at least once! We have two rounds tonight, so let's rock and roll!

ROUND ONE - BALLROOM

Erin and Maks are focused on the prize, and Maks feels that Erin gives him a real chance of winning! They seem to be working better together than previously, and their Viennese waltz, to "February Song," was great. I love the extensions she gets with her long arms and legs, and Sabrina gave it a "Wow!" They might have broken flow once, but they ended very cute, sitting on the stage steps like two kids at the park! "You just made a giant step through the door!" said Len. Bruno called it "a symphony in blue," and noted her improved fluidity, though there was a little stumble there. Carrie-Ann picked up her nervousness again, in her ankles no less, but she did wonderfully.
Scores: 9-9-9 (27) (Bruno accidentally held up the "10" paddle when he announced his score; his "9" score is correct.)

Nicole and Derek are facing a problem: Derek hurt his neck! Not only is he in pain, they're behind schedule! You;d never know it by their Argentine tango though...they came out sharp and strong, with impeccable lifts, passion, and precision! "Holy crap..." said Sabrina. Bruno said she was like a "divine enchantress," and he was enchanted by her dance. Carrie-Ann was moved to tears, something that's rare for her. "All I can say is," said Len, "it was more delicious than my grandmother's apple pie."
Scores: 10-10-10 - PERFECT THIRTY!!! (Third of the season; second for Nicole.)

Chad and Cheryl are ready to start fresh and do everything they can to get into the finals...but he's getting stressed! "If You Don't Know Me By Now" was the tune for their waltz, which seemed to dispel the romance a little at the start when he moved in for a kiss and she pushed him away. Sabrina said, "Yes, he's improved, but...blah." Thankfully. she's not one of the judges. [Big Grin] (Love you, sweetie. [hearts] ) Carrie-Ann said he just "nailed the waltz! Where did you come from?" She praised his fluidity and refinement. Len thought it was fantastic that he could come out in the semifinals and produce a waltz like that. "We were harsh on you at first," said Bruno, "because we knew there was something for us to see...you showed it tonight!"

(Continued)

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 20:56      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 9 (Semifinals) - Part 2

Evan and Anna need to get Evan focused on performance, and, for that, Anna needs to figure out what makes Evan happy. It's actually his nephew that makes him happy! He channels that into their foxtrot, to "I've Got the World on a String," and he sure looked happy! His moves almost looked like Fred Astaire, and Sabrina could tell, saying, "MAJOR difference!" If I could describe his performance in one word, it would be "bubbly." Len praised the artistry and musicality, but thought it was wonderful to see this side of him. "You were high as a kite!" said Bruno. "Sparkly with a capital S! I haven't seen anything like this since Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney!" Carrie-Ann completely felt the connection this time, thanking him for listening to her.

ROUND TWO - LATIN ROUND

In this round, celebrities must perform a solo of 15-20 seconds as part of their routine! Also in this round, we get some background on the celebrities, to find out what made them as competitors!

Erin is from Tampa, and was always tall and skinny...she took ballet/tap/jazz dance classes as a girl, but wanted to be a sportscaster from when she was in high school. She was only 24 when she signed her contract with ESPN. After the whole "peephole video on the Internet" scandal, she is out to prove, with her DWTS appearance, that she is not just a victim! She starts off her paso, to "U Got The Look," with a frakkin' HAWT solo, then Maks comes out to let down her skirt and get her going with some strong moves! It was great to watch. Bruno said, "You are a hot chick with attitude!" and got so effusive, he got bleeped! "That was amazing! It was powerful!" said Carrie-Ann. Len, though, is a traditionalist, and thought it was kind of a "funky monkey" paso. "I'm confused, I don't know whether to go with the talent, the dance, or the hotness!" Erin encouraged him: "Go with the 10!"
Scores: 10-9-10 (29) (Nice try, Erin! [Big Grin] )

Nicole is from Honolulu, and her 'ohana (family) is very important to her. She got her love of music from her mother, but after she moved to Kentucky when she was 6, and started working on music from 5th grade. She was always a perfectionist; her producer said her audition for the Pussycat Dolls from "a miracle," and Sean "Diddy" Combs says, "Perfection is Nicole!" She comes out for the cha-cha-cha, to Prince's "Kiss," dressed as Prince, and, well, "Ur doin it pretty well akshully!" When Derek joins her, she gets her hips moving like nobody's business! It got a little naughty at the end, when Derek delivered a smack to Nicole's butt, and that got a big laugh out of Sabrina! Carrie-Ann was "feeling the aloha tonight," marvelling at how naturally it seems to come to Nicole. Len said the solo showed off her talent, but not so much of the cha-cha-cha. He still thought "you've got to be there!" (In the finals, that is.) "You are the sexilicious purple queen of the cha-cha-cha!" cried Bruno. The Purple One himself would be proud.

(Continued)

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 21:26      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 9 (Semifinals) - Part 3

Chad, born in Miami, grew up in a rough area, and knew sports would be his ticket out of there. He was raised by his grandmother, then went to three different colleges before he was lucky enough to make it into the NFL. Terrell Owens says that he always wanted to be the best...and he loves his four kids, too! He comes out with a samba to "Alejandro," and he's faster than he used to be, but I still don't think he's fast enough for a competition samba. The initial "solo" he did was kinda short, but the one he did after Cheryl removed his shirt was..."primal" would be the best word for it. Sabrina still said, "I don't feel nothin'!" Len lamented the fact that all the guys took off their shirts during the samba (though he thought Chad looked better than Maks), but praised Chad's great job on a tough dance. Bruno was torn between admiration and envy; he had fun with Chad's excitement. Carrie-Ann freely acknowledged that his technique hasn't matured the way the others' has, but his charisma lit up the room and the solo "had everyone workin' it!"
Scores: 8-8-9 (25)

Evan calls Naperville, Illinois (just outside Chicago) home; his grandma wanted to be in the Ice Capades, so she bought him a pair of ice skates, and that's how he got started! He's always been very detail-oriented, and he's really shy, a fact that Scott Hamilton agrees with. His coach, though, called him driven, a judgement that (former DWTS champion) Kristi Yamaguchi seconds! Evan chose "Bring Me To Life" to "show me your...paso doble!" And the word here was "supernatural!" I wonder if he was going for the Twilight crowd, but he danced a thriller out there, giving Sabrina serious body chills! Bruno called it "strong yet artistic, the best we've seen this season! You've got BALLS!" Carrie-Ann agreed, saying his moves were "guttural and powerful." Len points out that, in paso, the man should dominate, something that celebrities can't always manage, but "you did it!"
Scores: 10-10-10 - PERFECT THIRTY!!! (Fourth one of the season; second for Evan!)

Zounds! Evan and Nicole are tied for the lead with 59 points, while Chad is at the bottom with 52! Only one more elimination before the finals! Who will it be? Who will it be?

-30-

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2010 20:01      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 9 (Semifinals) - Results

The standards this season are VERY high...in many seasons, any one of these four competitors would be good enough for the finals! Tonight's eliminated celebrity, though, will have the distinction of being the one hundredth celebrity eliminated on DWTS! And, if I can dodge the tornado warnings on TV for long enough, I can bring it to you! (Don't worry, the storms didn't get close to me.)

The first couple in the finals is...Evan and Anna! Our skater advances to the medal round!

Len, recapping the week, says it went beyond his expectations! Erin's Viennese waltz was beautiful, but nerves got her in the end! Nicole's Argentine tango satisfied every one of his senses! Chad was a revelation; in any other season, that waltz would have made him a shoo-in for the finals! And, oh my heaven, Evan! What a wonderful foxtrot! Erin's paso was full of intensity, and Nicole sure can dance the cha-cha-cha, can't she? Chad's samba was good but not quite good enough...but the paso doble that Evan did? GENIUS! And so the Judges' Encore for the week is Evan and Anna, doing their incredible paso! Sabrina got body chills watching it again! SMOKIN'!

We've had the stories of the celebrities, so how about a peek into the lives of the pros, the newest refinement of Pad-the-Show(tm) technology! Maks, for instance, is originally from Odessa, Ukraine, but moved to Brooklyn later...he always wanted to dance, and he always gives it 100%!

First musical guest for the evening is Sarah MacLachlan, the Canadian Chanteuse, singing both her hit "Angel" and her new song "Loving You." I was fortunate enough to see her live at Lilith Fair '98, Rose Bowl, Pasadena...but certainly not to the accompaniment of Jonathan and Anna dancing to the first song, or Dmitry, Lacey, Kym, and Damian to the second!

Cheryl turns out to be from the Bay Area. A shy girl, she took ballet starting at age 4, and was somewhat reluctant at first to switch to ballroom dancing. Now it's her life!

At last, we get to see the Macy's Design-a-Dance between Melissa Rycroft and Joey Fatone. They do a tango to "Rock And Roll All Night," and I thought it was a bit hinky, though it had some crowd-pleasing moves, to be sure. Sabrina, it must be said, doesn't care for Joey Fatone much.

Now back to the College Dance Championship! Last week's competition was won by Purdue! (Aw, man!) But two new schools are out to battle it out on the Floor of Destiny tonight!

First up is Rutgers University, fielding a team that's only been together for a month! They've been rehearsing like mad, though, and are out to prove themselves! And, make no mistake, their cha-cha-cha was good! There were some dramatic moments that got a "Wow!" out of Sabrina, and they finished strong. Len thought it was a great effort on such short notice, clear and precise with good changes, but maybe one or two glitches. Bruno echoed the sentiment. Carrie-Ann loved the beginning and their overall creativity, and said, "You guys have a future!"

At Utah Valley University, though, ballroom dancing is not just a hobby, it's a way of life, and even a major for the bachelor's degree! Their team has won the Blackpool championship four times, and they're serious competitors! And their cha-cha-cha, to "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby," was slick! The speed twirls were letter-perfect, and the upside-down finish for the ladies really capped it off. (Sabrina still kind of liked Rutgers better, though.) Bruno was effusive about the choreography, the technique, the sharpness, the precision, and probably their fashion sense as well. Carrie-Ann did the Utah Valley cheer, calling it "effortless, but high impact." Len noted the perfect lines, and that it was very accomplished, in a routine with such a high difficulty.

We'll see next week which one takes on Purdue in the finals. Meanwhile, we learn more about Anna...she grew up in Russia, but the air was pretty bad there, and she has asthma, so they moved to the U.S. Jonathan, her husband, has really helped her to become a better pro.

Next up--CROSS-PROMOTION ALERT!--Miley Cyrus debuted her new song, "Can't Be Tamed." She has gotten FAR from her country roots! We couldn't figure out what she was supposed to be dressed like...punk bird? David Bowie in Labyrinth? Some farked-up version of Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome?

Derek is from Utah, and is full of energy! His mom made him go to dance lessons at first, but he got so hooked eventually, he went to London to train with Corky and Shirley Ballas. They punished him, when they had to, by taking away his hair gel... [Big Grin]

Enough with the Pad-The-Show stuff! The second finalists are...Nicole and Derek! Take a chance to recognize, the Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy could be hers!

And the last couple eliminated before the finals is...

Chad and Cheryl! Tough break for him, stopped just short of the goal line, without even the chance to kick a 3!

Chad acknowledges everyone, including the judges' criticism, and says, "I've already won." As for his relationship with Cheryl? They're just friends. Really. Hmm...so you say, Chad. Or so I hear you say...

Next week, the road through the finals will not be easy, as each couple will have to do four, count 'em, four dances! Plus we get to see all our old friends come back for one more run! And it will culminate, of course, in the awarding of The Cheesy Disco Ball Trophy! See you next week!

-30-

--------------------

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2010 19:49      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Week 10 (Finals) - Part 1

This is it! This is definitely the absolute, undeniably, unqualified last time these couples will dance for the votes of the American public! Tonight, of course, is only half of the competitive dancing...but that doesn't matter, the action is gonna be fast and furious tonight!

ROUND ONE - "THE REDEMPTION DANCE"

What does that mean? The judges have chosen, for each couple, one dance that they felt they could have done better, and give 'em the help they need to try and improve their performance!

For example, Erin and Maks kind of need some help on the samba...Erin was kind of stiff in the hips last time! Well, who knows all about shaking those hips? That's right...BRUNO! He definitely knows how to work it! In their new samba, Max doesn't rip off his vest, he BUTTONS it! Erin definitely looks looser in the hips, and she made this routine fast and fun, right down to the end, where they lap-dance Carrie-Ann and Bruno, then both give Len a big smooch! Len thought the improvement was fantastic, and she was full of energy. Bruno called it "hotter than noon in the topics! My head is still shaking!" Carrie-Ann said, "You moved up three notches tonight! It was fun and fantastic!"
Scores: 10-10-9 (29)

Evan and Anna need better chemistry in their Viennese waltz...and Len drops in to help them make those moments and "bring it on!" Their dance, to "Piano Man," was very playful at the opening. Evan did a nice "music box twirl" of Anna; he's certainly a performer, and I thinkthe chemistry was there! Wow! Bruno praised the lyricism and the hold, saying "I could feel the sparks!" Carrie-Ann called it "beautiful," saying all his performance problems had been eliminated. Len admired the grace and elegance in his movement...but thought he collapsed his stance just a bit at the end.
Scores: 10-9-9 (28)

When Nicole and Derek did the rumba, Nicole was so nervous, the judges could see it in her ankles! Carrie-Ann does her best to help her learn to let go and "live" the dance! The rumba to "The Lady In Red"...the only words I can find do describe it are those of Ambassador Kosh: "One moment of perfect beauty." Plus a "Look, Ma, no hands!" moment at the end. Carrie-Ann called the dance "mesmerizing"...BUT...THERE WAS A LIFT AT THE END!!! (And I could just hear Derek going, "AW SH*T!") Len liked the subtleties of the choreography, but there might be an occasional lack of confidence. Bruno liked how the eroticism and sensuality were seamlessly woven into something of extreme beauty.
Scores: 9-9-10 (28)

(Continued)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture