homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » G3 iPod Shuffle is tres chic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: G3 iPod Shuffle is tres chic
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 14 posted March 21, 2009 18:58      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm freakin' geekin' on this bit of nano tech.

All the complaining on the proprietary ear buds is nothing more than the expected i-Whining from from the usual fanbois & fanfemmes.

Frankly this baby has gym rat written (or should I say, "Gym Geek?") all over it -- only the writing has to be in the Lord's Prayer-on-the-head-of-a-pin mode. And it's more like gym door mouse than gym rat. Outside the gym, I can see these doubling as tie-clips. Much more attractive than plastic pocket protectors, too.

But it's in the gym, on the road, or out on the track that this little tie clip shines. The Nano and full-sized 'Pods were too big for gym shorts, and any of the arm straps I found always fell off my arm during heavy lifting, wind sprints or stairs. The G3 shuffle easily fits in the key pocket of a light pair of gym shorts -- and that's where the ear bud controls come in handy, because the key pocket area of my gym shorts ain't no area I wanna be scratchin' in the middle of a co-ed workout room. You trackin' with me here?

The voice feature is much cooler than imagined.

I could care less about the voice telling me the name of every melody I logged into it, but it is very helpful to find my playlists while working out: Beethoven's 7th for riding the bicycle out among the vineyards and orchards, Slipknot for -- you guessed it -- lifting heavy metal, Nirvana and Green Day for wind sprints and stairs. A couple of clicks and I get my playlist -- no shuffle if I don't want it, either.

Love it! For $80 I can afford one and still make my monthly charitable donation to the Dick Cheney home for unemployed Republicans.

This is the future I read about in my second grade Weekly Reader, kids. The future is here. Wow!

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2009 20:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's important to note that the hullabaloo over the proprietary earbud controls was due to the belief that Apple was using DRM to only allow its own earbuds to control the iPod. It has now been shown that this is /not/ the case, and it's simply the matter of a proprietary chip, which Apple will license out to 'Made for iPod' vendors. Anyone else...can reverse engineer it, and assuming they do a good enough job, it will work just the same. If it was a DRM issue, that would be quite disgusting, as it would mean that the *only* way you could listen to music on an iPod was with a set of Apple earbuds, and that's not consumer-friendly. It would also be vary contrarian for Apple, given their recent push for removing DRM.

Also, while it's a matter of your opinion, it's more likely that you "couldn't care less."
[/nit]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture