homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Whoa, new Star Trek trailer!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whoa, new Star Trek trailer!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2009 08:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

as someone said on Twitter... I just had a nerdgasm. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Posts: 7814 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2009 08:48      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! That rocked! [Eek!]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1127 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2009 10:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool trailers.

I'm gunna have real problems adjusting to Sylar as Spock.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10446 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 06, 2009 10:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gunna have real problems adjusting to Sylar as Spock.

not me, I think he will be great. (/me crosses-fingers Vulcan style)
(Heroes is dead to me anyway. [Razz] )

Posts: 7814 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2009 12:09      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those gave me goose bumps! [Applause]
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2009 21:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...I normally avoid trailers, but I got a wibbly-wobbly hinting of goose bumps, and decided to see it. I too have goose bumps now, I think.

WOW!!!

JJ Abrams rocks! This looks to be /good/.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9204 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2009 22:13      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree -- awesome trailer! This one begins to convey the "mythic proportion" that Star Trek has now attained.

Interesting note as to how the writers have justified their rebooting of Star Trek. This article (including spoilers, if that concerns you) addresses the new Star Trek movie in terms of adherence to, or departure from, Star Trek canon. From an abstract about the writer interview:
quote:
["Star Trek" co-writer] Orci has revealed that the film takes place within an alternate timeline. He stated that any canon changes made in this timeline will not affect the former timeline, arguing that the scientific theory of quantum mechanics permits the existence of parallel timelines and parallel universes. He also believes that this theory allows for the continuance of a timeline even after a change is affected and an alternate timeline is created. In addition, he argues that, although the timeline has changed, the true nature of the characters does not change and that Kirk and company are the same people they are in the original timeline.
Apparently the quantum mechanics reasoning behind all this (which was actually posited by Data in "Star Trek: TNG") makes the new movie completely justifiable and compatible with all the Star Trek series and movies thus far. Essentially it's the same characters we knew and loved in the Original Series, but tells the story of "what would have happened" as a result of an event (involving a time-traveling Nimoy-Spock) which creates an alternate timeline. That's why Nero says in the trailer "James T. Kirk was a great man...but that was another life." (I love time travel storylines!)

Can't wait for May 8th...

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 328 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.