homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Dollhouse...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dollhouse...
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted March 01, 2009 16:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... sucks, in my humble opinion.

Sorry Josh, but Dollhouse is a stinker. Faster Fox, KILL KILL!

oh man what a waste of talent, money, and my time.

What do you think?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2009 17:02      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's building. It's certainly not got the immediate characters of Joss' previous masterpieces, but it's definitely got scope.

The tricky part is trying to decide which characters to bond with. The geek's a bit of a twit, the Dollhouse boss might just have some sort of turning to the nice side thing going on and there's obviously something brewing with the dolls themselves, all winking at one another and everything. The 'good' guy detective is just a bit boring and Echo's protector has potential but he's a bit boring.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2009 19:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm....well, I watched the first episode last night on Hulu, and shall try and watch the 2nd two tonight. I didn't think it terrible, but true to xkcd cause & effect, I have found myself more taken by TSCC.

Mind you, this has Eliza Dushku as the star, so it can't really be that bad, can it? ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2009 22:04      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still trying to decide, but after 3 episodes I'm not hooked.

In the last issue of RollingStone Joss says he isn't that happy with FOX as they kept making him change things with the show and he's basically had it with TV and will probably just do web stuff like Dr. Horrible.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2009 07:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny Arcade had a comic about this.

My take is that the main character is being built up show by show, so it will take a few episodes before things can become interesting. Unfortunately, that means that the beginning is slow and is likely to turn off lots of viewers. Even those that do watch may be disappointed and give up if it takes too long to build momentum or the storyline doesn't start showing a sense of direction.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2009 08:31      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It probably doesn't help that they are airing them out of order too. They did the same thing with Firefly.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2009 09:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
It probably doesn't help that they are airing them out of order too.

They are? Unbelievable. [shake head]

It still sucks though. [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2009 13:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
It probably doesn't help that they are airing them out of order too. They did the same thing with Firefly.

Do you have a link to the correct episode order?
I haven't watched it yet, so I can easily watch them in the correct order.

Why do networks do this???

The aussie network that showed ST:TNG aired the first couple of seasons in random order. This was especially noticeable because Riker grew a beard part way through, watching it here in oz was like... beard, no beard, beard, no beard...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2009 13:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got curious and did some poking around and from what I can find, it seems that Whedon has said that episode six is a turning point in the show. There's also an interview with Tahmoh Penikett where he says, "Around the fourth or fifth episode, the show really defines itself in a unique way."

In other words, if you wait until the end of March and watch all the episodes available at that point, you might like it better.

Or not.

*shrug*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture