homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Gran Torino

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gran Torino
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2009 16:16      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally got around to seeing Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino this weekend. It's a really excellent drama with a fair amount of humor, too. Eastwood is really entertaining as Walt, the curmudgeonly widower and Korean War vet who's not happy with the way his neighborhood or family has turned out. The under-his-breath growl he gives when seeing his granddaughter's belly-button piercing at the beginning of the movie says a lot.

The relationship he develops with the Hmong family next door (mainly the teenagers, Thao, and his sister, Sue) is the primary source of the humor and drama in the film. In a moment of epiphany, Walt comments, “Jesus, I have more in common with these gooks than I do with my own spoiled-rotten family!”

I was also watching it with a Khmu woman (the Khmu share many cultural similarities with the the Hmong, as they come from roughly the same area). In one scene, Walt asks Thao, "are you going to carry your tools in a rice sack?" My date started laughing hysterically, leaned over, and whispered, "my dad did that!"

If you haven't seen it, I recommend it for what time it has left in the theaters, or rent/buy it later. It's good for a laugh and maybe a few tears, too (my date got pretty choked up at a couple of points).

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 14 posted February 08, 2009 08:52      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it.

Felt like a screen adaptation of a play -- not that I think that is bad at all.

Writing was very good. The young woman who played the Hmong daughter is a real gem. I bet Eastwood had a really great time giving her such an open stage.

Plot was well developed. Everything seemed to have a reason for happening, actions and events were well foreshadowed.

Clint Eastwood may have been playing a caricature of himself, though I didn't mind it. He really does growl a lot in the film.

Go see it.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 08, 2009 09:45      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on the above reviews... not Clint's best work, but it a film that's fun to watch, especially with, as CP says, Eastwood playing a caricature of himself. Ahney Her was great.

And who doesn't like to see a grumpy old man with a big gun make some punk's day? (On film anyway) [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 15:34      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree-not Clint's best(I thought Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River were masterpieces), but fabulous.

The fact that none of the Hmong people had ever acted before is astounding.

Word of warning: Not for the easily offended, so don't say I didn't warn you! A friend of mine saw it and thought it was way OTT on the racial slurs and language.
What I wanted to say: "HELLLLO?! You thought a Clint Eastwood movie about a racist Korean War veteran dealing with his ethnic neighbors was somehow not going to include racial slurs?"
What I said: "Perhaps you should have read the reviews".

Rant about uninformed moviegoers over. [Razz]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture