homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » "We Cheer" for Wii

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "We Cheer" for Wii
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 20:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I joined Gamefly quite some time ago and, after working my way through most of the must-play games that I didn't want to buy, I started throwing random stuff in my queue because I'm paying for it anyway. I mention this, of course, because it helps preserve my masculinity in some small way.... or at least I'm going to pretend that it does. "We Cheer" got tossed in there and, lo and behold, it showed up today.

"We Cheer" is a game for the Wii where you play...<drumroll> a cheerleader.

The first oddity I found is that it requires two Wii Remotes per player (one for each hand). I have two controllers, so I can play it. For some people, needing four controllers for two players might be a problem but, let's be honest, there is no chance in hell of me allowing anyone else to see me playing this game. Two controllers are all I will be needing, thankyouverymuch.

There are three main parts to the game: Exercise, Cheer Off and Competition. In all three modes, you follow on screen prompts in order to gain points. If you gain enough points, you unlock new outfits, new songs and stuff.

The on screen prompts consist of a line being drawn on the screen first, then a star appears and travels along that line. The line shows the motion you'll be making and you have to start the motion when the star appears and match the speed in order to succeed. It's very picky about this, as well, and offers rather obtuse comments like "a bit harder" which are not particularly helpful (and let's not even think about cartoon women saying that to you...)

The exercise mode can actually provide a decent aerobic workout if you make the moves correctly, following not only the hand motions but the body motions of the on-screen character. You can cheat and make smaller motions too, but then I would question why you're bothering since -nobody- is going to be impressed with your "We Cheer" scores.

You also get a Calorie score at the end of exercise mode which, so far as I can tell, bears no relationship to reality at all. I did the short workout three times and managed about 5000 calories with my combined scores. I certainly didn't burn 5000 Calories in the 45 minutes I was playing around with the game this evening and flailing wildly for 45 minutes burns more than 5 Calories, so it can't be calories or Calories. Who knows.

The competition mode has you competing against other cheerleading squads to, I assume, unlock all the cheerleading stages and songs that I can't get to yet. I have to assume these things because I'm not that good at the moves and the other cheerleaders kicked my butt.

The final mode is the cheer-off where you compete against others. I have no clue what this mode does because, once again, there is no chance in hell of anyone else seeing me play this game.

If I had to sum up the experience in one sentence it would be thus:
After 45 minutes, my upper arms hurt, I'm slightly winded and I've never felt gayer in my life.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 25, 2008 07:25      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
If I had to sum up the experience in one sentence it would be thus:
After 45 minutes, my upper arms hurt, I'm slightly winded and I've never felt gayer in my life.

You're doing it for the girls, Steen. Just to impress the girls who come at your house. [Big Grin] Not to forget that after showing off, they have to try too, then you sit back and enjoy the show. [evil] (Or that's what you'll say if any male friend finds about it.)

(Yeah, I'm feeling a bit devilish today.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2008 15:51      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be a good excuse if not for the fact that all my female friends tend to be every bit as snarky as I am if not more. They'd never buy it.

The really embarassing thing is that, except for the difficulty of the controls, the game is actually quite fun.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2008 08:03      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That would be a good excuse if not for the fact that all my female friends tend to be every bit as snarky as I am if not more. They'd never buy it.

Well, after a few drinks.....
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 06:15      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... I fell off my chair laughing so damn hard after I read that...

...I seriously can't breathe... too much laughter... God, I think I need a nap after that...

Thanks, GS, I needed that ^_^ [thumbsup]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 11:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROTFSMPL!

/me dispatches the same espionage crew who tampered with ASM's video collection, to install a hidden camera in Steen's home.

Full video will be posted to YouTube when available.

[update]
Expect something like this

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 06:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah. It wouldn't look like that at all.

My legs look way better in a mini-skirt [Big Grin]

neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 14:53      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just... disturbing. At least tell me you go with the knee-high socks too.

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 21:03      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nah. It wouldn't look like that at all.

My legs look way better in a mini-skirt [Big Grin]

Post h0t p1x! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 10 posted December 04, 2008 06:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't afford all the lawsuits from all the people who were struck blind [Razz]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture