homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Star Trek XI trailer - I'm concerned

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Trek XI trailer - I'm concerned
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 11:28      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you may know, the new trailer for the next Star Trek movie got its first public showing Friday during the opening of the new James Bond flick, “Quantum of Solace”. According to the official movie site, it will be available online tomorrow (11/17) after Bond has had his opening weekend box office run. (I read an article saying that they expected many people would flock to the Bond film for the sole purpose of being the first to see the Star Trek trailer -- go figure!)

As expected, bootleg copies shot at the theater have already made it online: here, here, here, and here. (I've listed several since sometimes they're taken down.)

As an "original Trekkie" who watched each episode of the '66-'69 series during its first run, I'm justifiably concerned. Quoting some of the more colorful comments I’ve read online:

“...this cast looks less like ’Star Trek: The Original Series’ and more like ’Star Trek: The Orange County’.”
“...the redesigned technology looks like it was all designed by Apple. I’m sorry, but the inside of the Enterprise is not an iMac.”
"...pre-teen Kirk driving a [270-year-old] Corvette = the new 'Nuked the Fridge'. My suspension of disbelief meter just melted."

I'll reserve judgment until I see the entire movie and not just a highly-edited trailer, but still...this is clearly not your grandmother's Star Trek.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 12:15      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks less like science fiction and more like a war movie with lasers and spaceships.

Lasers and spaceships do not make something science fiction.

I hope we get to see more than just a bra in a Star Trek Film.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 13:26      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard talk about this being a "reimagining" of Star Trek rather than just another movie in the series, similar to a comparison between the new Battlestar Galactica and the old series. If that's true then die hard fans will probably never be satisfied, but it sounds like it will be an interesting ride. I can't wait to see it.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 14:01      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a longtime fan of the franchise... Yes i do have reservations. But i will let my 9,50$ CAD prove speak for itself as to weather it was wasted or well spent come the summer.

One thing we all need to consider, this is someone playing in Roddenberry's sandbox. Gene did say he's like to see what someone else would do with it. If it flops, then no more will be made... if it's OK or sucessful, 2 more are in the pipe.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 15:09      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I've heard talk about this being a "reimagining" of Star Trek rather than just another movie in the series, similar to a comparison between the new Battlestar Galactica and the old series.

I have no problem with a reimagining, and Battlestar Galactica is an excellent example. They took an otherwise shallow action-adventure series (but with an intriguing premise) and fleshed it out into a serious, thought-provoking drama that frequently makes social and political commentary. Looking at this Star Trek trailer, though, I'm apprehensive they may be doing just the opposite -- turning a TV-and-movie franchise which strived to be intelligent science fiction into something like "Top Gun Goes to Space", and emphasizing special effects over plot.

The second problem, if indeed J.J. Abrahms has approached this as a reimagining, is that he'll be bucking a pretty extensive and well-established mythology. Whereas the original BSG comprised only about two dozen TV episodes, any reimagining of Star Trek would have to run counter to an intricately-woven and (largely) consistent "future history" established over five TV series (running 26 seasons total) and ten movies. That's a pretty daunting task.

I, too, am really looking forward to the movie, but am worried about how much of the existing Star Trek world I'll be asked to "forget" as a result.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 16, 2008 16:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooo shiny! I'm looking forward to this, and I am ready to suspend "real" Star Trek belief for a couple of hours just to see Gabriel Gray as Spock.

wow... nice to see it's not Kirk taking off the shirt, and least in this clip. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 16:26      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tech Angel:
Looking at this Star Trek trailer, though, I'm apprehensive they may be doing just the opposite -- turning a TV-and-movie franchise which strived to be intelligent science fiction into something like "Top Gun Goes to Space", and emphasizing special effects over plot.

I'll be disappointed if that's what happens, but not too surprised especially given that the last two Star Trek movies within the franchise.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Mister Boo

Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 16, 2008 16:57      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a fun ride to me. If you didn't give up Star Trek after Vyger and Persis Khambatta in Star Trek The Motion Picture, you have no grounds to complain about this. And don't get me started on Generations. Of course, I'm one of the old-timers who can't watch the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica( Starbuck is not a chick, and Cylons are chromed). Get off my lawn you Hooligans!!! [evil]
Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 17:27      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mister Boo:
I'm one of the old-timers who can't watch the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica( Starbuck is not a chick, and Cylons are chromed). Get off my lawn you Hooligans!!! [evil]

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!

LARSON SOLD OUT, HATCH SOLD OUT TOO.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 17:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't matter what they do with young Kirk... a lot of people will hate it just as much as people hated what Lucas did with young Vader. The only question is whether you'll let you annoyance at the character not being the perfect representation of what you think Kirk should be ruin the rest of the movie for you.

Despite the faults of each one, I've enjoyed all of the Star Trek series and films. Some more than others, but there isn't a single one that I would refuse to watch again. I'm fairly sure I'll think the same of this movie as well.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 18:22      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definitely refuse to watch Nemesis. Yech. [devil wand]

All the others I can enjoy at least to some degree although I definitely prefer some (Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country, First Contact) over others (The Final Frontier, Insurrection)

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 18:33      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

All the others I can enjoy at least to some degree although I definitely prefer some (Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country, First Contact) over others (The Final Frontier, Insurrection)

TFF does not exist. However, Shatners' "Quest For God" does.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted November 17, 2008 11:45      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'd agree with this, except I've got a soft spot for Insurrection on account of the fact that Donna Murphy is hotter than the surface of Sirius in that one ... [blush]
Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 17, 2008 12:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
courtesy of @Rickmacmerc... it's now online... [Big Grin]

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/large_trailer2.html

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2008 13:19      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to inform everyone. I am the lucky winner of an actual 35mm print of said trailer! [Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

LoneWolf
Mini Geek
Member # 4966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2008 13:45      Profile for LoneWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No mini-skirt uniforms!?!
Posts: 61 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2008 14:37      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
No mini-skirt uniforms!?!

You've not seen Uhura pix have you

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 11:15      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I won't reiterate the concerns posted above, which I share, but I must admit seeing a young Spock gave me goosebumps. I'm really hoping not to be disappointed.. [Geek]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 14:09      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as Berman & Braga have nothing to do with it, it might be good.

And MTB Babe- it's good to have your ass around here again! [Big Grin] (I had to be the first to say it)

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 16:27      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GMx, Berman and Bragga have been pink-slipped. This is paramount trying to stoke the fire in a last ditch effor to re-envigorate the series..... re-imagining.

Yes there are fears. But I will reiterate. This is someone else in Roddenberry's sandbox.

If you all want an opinion to follow, look to Rod Roddenberry or Dorothy Fontana. Hell, Ask the den-mother of fandom, Bjo Trimble her opinion.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2008 21:27      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:

And MTB Babe- it's good to have your ass around here again! [Big Grin] (I had to be the first to say it)

*cough* Second actually. [Razz]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 18, 2008 22:36      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as it doesn't have whales in it, everything with the Star Trek name on it is great [Big Grin]

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2008 11:19      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what Majel Barrett has to think about the movie.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture