homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Geek, Dork or Nerd

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Geek, Dork or Nerd
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2008 21:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should probably go under the religion and politics forum because I -know- how discussions of these terms goes on here, but... it's just a goofy quiz.

ve haff vays of makink you kleek

You scored better than half in Nerd and Dork, earning you the coveted title of: Tri-Lamb Material.

The classic, "80's" nerd, you are what most people think of when they think "nerd," largely due to 80's movies like Revenge of the Nerds and TV shows like Head of the Class. You're exceptionally bright and smart, and partly because of that have never quite fit in with your peers or social groups. Perhaps you've realized, or will someday, that it is possible to retain all of the things that you like about being brilliant and still make peace with the social cliques around you. Or maybe you won't--it's really not necessary. As the brothers of Lambda Lambda Lambda discovered, you're fine just the way you are and can take pride in that. I mean, who wants to be like Ogre, right!?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2008 21:34      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Nerd and Geek, earning you the title of: Modern, Cool Nerd.

Nerds didn't use to be cool, but in the 90's that all changed. It used to be that, if you were a computer expert, you had to wear plaid or a pocket protector or suspenders or something that announced to the world that you couldn't quite fit in. Not anymore. Now, the intelligent and geeky have eked out for themselves a modicum of respect at the very least, and "geek is chic." The Modern, Cool Nerd is intelligent, knowledgable and always the person to call in a crisis (needing computer advice/an arcane bit of trivia knowledge). They are the one you want as your lifeline in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (or the one up there, winning the million bucks)!

Congratulations!

I guess I am satisfied with these results. [Smile]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted July 27, 2008 00:01      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Screw that I just wasted all that time to have them want me to sign up for a dating service to get the results of the test! Sorry I'm not giving my e-mail & birthdate, nor do I want to sign up for a dating service! [thumbsdown] [Mad]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 00:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All you have to do is select a gender and then take the check out of the box that appears next to "I want to sign up for a OkCupid account and save my result." and it will give you the results without giving an email address or signing up....

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 06:30      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You scored less than half in all three, earning you the title of: Joe Normal.

This is not to say that you don't have some Nerd, Geek or Dork inside of you--we all do, and you can see the percentages you have right above. This is just to say that none of those qualities stand out so much as to define you. Sure, you enjoy an episode of Star Trek now and again, and yeah, you kinda enjoyed a few classes back in the day. And, once in a while, you stumble while walking down the street even though there was nothing there to cause you to trip. But, for the most part, you look and act fairly typically, and aren't much of an outcast.

I'd say there's a fair chance someone asked you to take this test. In any event, fairly normal.

Hmmmm....
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 07:35      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pure Nerd

91 % Nerd, 48% Geek, 43% Dork

For The Record:

A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Nerd, earning you the title of: Pure Nerd.

The times, they are a-changing. It used to be that being exceptionally smart led to being unpopular, which would ultimately lead to picking up all of the traits and tendences associated with the "dork." No-longer. Being smart isn't as socially crippling as it once was, and even more so as you get older: eventually being a Pure Nerd will likely be replaced with the following label: Purely Successful.

Congratulations!

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 07:49      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
78 % Nerd, 43% Geek, 61% Dork

You scored better than half in Nerd and Dork, earning you the coveted title of: Tri-Lamb Material.

The classic, "80's" nerd, you are what most people think of when they think "nerd," largely due to 80's movies like Revenge of the Nerds and TV shows like Head of the Class. You're exceptionally bright and smart, and partly because You scored better than half in Nerd and Dork, earning you the coveted title of: Tri-Lamb Material.

The classic, "80's" nerd, you are what most people think of when they think "nerd," largely due to 80's movies like Revenge of the Nerds and TV shows like Head of the Class. You're exceptionally bright and smart, and partly because of that have never quite fit in with your peers or social groups. Perhaps you've realized, or will someday, that it is possible to retain all of the things that you like about being brilliant and still make peace with the social cliques around you. Or maybe you won't--it's really not necessary. As the brothers of Lambda Lambda Lambda discovered, you're fine just the way you are and can take pride in that. I mean, who wants to be like Ogre, right!?

Congratulations!
of that have never quite fit in with your peers or social groups. Perhaps you've realized, or will someday, that it is possible to retain all of the things that you like about being brilliant and still make peace with the social cliques around you. Or maybe you won't--it's really not necessary. As the brothers of Lambda Lambda Lambda discovered, you're fine just the way you are and can take pride in that. I mean, who wants to be like Ogre, right!?

Congratulations!

Booooo! I want to be more geek! *puts on his horn-rimed glasses*

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 08:36      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm ALL nerd!!!

At least I'm not a DORK!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 08:53      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pure Nerd here.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 27, 2008 09:38      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was afraid to reply that I got pure nerd, but it seems it was a common result. Maybe the quiz is flawed? I don't consider l33t to be comparable to Klingon as a language. Perhaps it's time for the Nerd Culture [Big Grin]
Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 10:31      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Wolf VI:
I was afraid to reply that I got pure nerd, but it seems it was a common result. Maybe the quiz is flawed? I don't consider l33t to be comparable to Klingon as a language. Perhaps it's time for the Nerd Culture [Big Grin]

Check out my result. They have me pegged as NORMAL!!!

Uhm, well, that's not necessarily a bad thing, is it?

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 11:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ I thought that Nerds was a candy, now I found out I are one.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 11:19      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blargh! Pure Nerd

61 % Nerd, 13% Geek, 30% Dork

No shocker here. Explains many things [Big Grin]
I suppose I could sign up for an intervention
somewhere? If you sign up for an intervention
it's not really an intervention, isn't it?

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 11:59      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Outcast Genius

78 % Nerd, 52% Geek, 52% Dork

You scored better than half in all three, earning you the title of: Outcast Genius.

Outcast geniuses usually are bright enough to understand what society wants of them, and they just don't care! They are highly intelligent and passionate about the things they know are *truly* important in the world. Typically, this does not include sports, cars or make-up, but it can on occassion (and if it does then they know more than all of their friends combined in that subject).

Outcast geniuses can be very lonely, due to their being outcast from most normal groups and too smart for the room among many other types of dorks and geeks, but they can also be the types to eventually rule the world, ala Bill Gates, the prototypical Outcast Genius.

Congratulations!

Don't know if I should dance for joy or cry.

Either way, 'tis true. Dance to my own beat, only one real friend, would rather suffer doing my own thing my own way than take the easy way out.

EDIT: Mrs Tweety just took the quiz & was told she's a Pure Nerd. Frankly, I'd call her an Outcast Genius, but I know her better than a 60 question online quiz. So, anyone receiving results they don't think are accurate, I'd say it's due to the nature of these types of things.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 13:45      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, I'm a "Modern, Cool Nerd"!

...which is wrong on at least two counts! [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 10:04      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pure nerd here too. I never felt like learning movies by heart, and although I do have pop-culture clothing (ok, actually Geek Culture and a few more) clothing, I don't wear them (those days, I only wear T-shirts for training, and I want to keep my Genius Ts all nice). But it's more for lack of occasion than fear of ridicule or something. Plus, I am increasingly thinking about creating a steam-punk outfit. Just give me some time, and I'll have one, and may even find the guts to show it off at some convention.

And I don't have people around to start conversations about computers or some other geeky encounters. So I turned out all-nerd, while I consider myself half-nerd half-geek. Whatever.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 12:20      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For The Record:

You scored better than half in all three, earning you the title of: Outcast Genius.

Outcast geniuses usually are bright enough to understand what society wants of them, and they just don't care! They are highly intelligent and passionate about the things they know are *truly* important in the world. Typically, this does not include sports, cars or make-up, but it can on occassion (and if it does then they know more than all of their friends combined in that subject).

Outcast geniuses can be very lonely, due to their being outcast from most normal groups and too smart for the room among many other types of dorks and geeks, but they can also be the types to eventually rule the world, ala Bill Gates, the prototypical Outcast Genius.

Congratulations!

I like my results.

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
MC43
Newbie Larva
Member # 19835

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2008 07:39      Profile for MC43     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow... am I the only one here who got Pure Geek?

--------------------
(Inster Witty, humorous or insightful remark here!)

Posts: 8 | From: Left of Right. Look for me | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2008 20:25      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forget what my results were exactly, but I think I ended up Tri-Lam Material.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2008 21:04      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
! [Big Grin] Pure Geek is me!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2008 04:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outcast Genius

70 % Nerd, 78% Geek, 61% Dork

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2008 09:32      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also got the Outcast Genius label.

61 % Nerd, 74% Geek, 65% Dork

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2008 22:34      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Outcast Genius

70 % Nerd, 78% Geek, 61% Dork

I also got the Outcast Genius label.
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:

61 % Nerd, 74% Geek, 65% Dork

Outcast Genii for the win!
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2008 19:40      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pure Geek

43 % Nerd, 65% Geek, 30% Dork

t's not that you're a school junkie, like the nerd, and you don't really stand out in a crowd, like the dork, you just have some interests that aren't quite mainstream. Perhaps it's anime, perhaps it's computers, perhaps it's bottlecaps, perhaps it's all of those and more. Your interests take you to events and gatherings that are filled with people you find unusual and beyond-the-pale, but you don't quite consider yourself "of that crowd." Instead, you consider yourself to be fairly normal.

Which, you are.

Congratulations! You're the one on the RIGHT!

Posts: 57 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture