homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » PocketMod

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PocketMod
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 16:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PocketMod calls itself "the free recyclable personal organizer" and it actually fits that description, for the most part, although the name could use some work.

The flash applicator on the web site lets you choose eight templates, each of which is 1/8th of a page in size, which will be printed on a single sheet of paper. You then fold the paper up and make one cut to make it into a neat little eight page book.

I've used this a few times now when I had lots of errands and stuff to do and, while it's not much of a personal organizer, it is quite a lot smaller and does, in fact, fit in a pocket (or mine at any rate). It's also better than than scribbling lots of notes on the backs of envelopes, receipts and other assorted scraps of paper that were nearby.

Most of the templates are reasonably well and some are quite useful but a few, like the contacts page, waste too much space and some, like the miniature 100 word Wired and Time articles, have no real use that I can see. The simple list template which includes lines to be written on and check boxes to check off is probably the best in my opinion.

You can enter text on lists and other templates on the site so that it's printed out for you. In theory this is a neat idea and I'm sure some people use it but in reality I've found that I prefer to blank templates and fill them in by hand when I have the need to do so.

Also on the site is a small downloadable program which will convert a multi-page PDF file into a PocketMod by shrinking the pages. I've used this a couple of times and it does a reasonably good job, but normal sized fonts become unreadably small when converted. Still, if you can make a PDF, you can use large-ish fonts to make everything readable and then use the PDFtoPocketMod executable to convert your PDF into a miniature book form without having to remember which way each part of the printed page needs to be oriented.

I can't see most people having much of a need for it but, as I said, I've used it a few times when I had too much to keep track of and it's worked fairly well for my purposes. It might do so for yours as well. Considering that it's free, it's worth giving it a try.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 19:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually write on scrap pieces of paper...and I finally got this girl to stop giving me grief about it and find it interesting instead, so I don't think I'm about to 'upgrade' anytime soon. [Razz]

What I really want is a good 'pocket address book' printing feature in Mac OS X's Address Book! I remember Outlook 97 had a pretty nice feature for that...but my address book was a bit lighter then. I recently tried it in Office 2003, and found the size to be a little too small or large, depending on the mode you picked. The size from Mac OS X's Address Book is 'close to just right' but the 'some assembly required' is totally unacceptable, as is the fact that is doesn't do double-sided printing. With Outlook, you just print it double-sided, and it's basically 4-up, with some extra margins. With "Address Book," it's a shaved-off 1-up, and it has a letter row on the side...but it reads right-to-left and stacks, making a very strange book. A staple can be placed on the left, but it quickly gets bulky - so I took a shot at 'perfect binding' with tape. Looked kind of clever, and fit neatly in a pocket of my briefcase (or my own pants pocket if I wanted to consult it often), but wasn't worth the effort to repeat.

I've seen this thing before and it looks neat, but I don't necessarily trust the whole 'online' thing. Some people have told me scary things about the Internet. [Wink] Converting existing PDFs could certainly be handy...but something that gets the information into the right format first is potentially key. (i.e. A full page printout of addresses might be structured with lots of empty space.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 20:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a big fan of remaining disorganized. When I'm not wasting time being organized I can do other stuff, like run experiments and write papers.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 21:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I'm a big fan of remaining disorganized. When I'm not wasting time being organized I can do other stuff, like run experiments and write papers.

Yes...and that's why I love my scraps of paper†. However, I have no wish to lose phone numbers, so I keep everything backed up on my computer. I also keep a dead tree copy in my briefcase in case my phone dies, as I've completely given up on knowing numbers and let technology handle that task. I would be utterly doomed if my phone went kerflooey (which is quite possible given its age) as I hardly know anyone's numbers these days.

† These tend to pile up in certain places, and I know where each one is, even if it looks like a mess. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 21:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... you do realize that I said that it was good for printing out blank pages that fold nicely and sit in your pocket until you have a need to write something on them, right?

It's basically just a way of making nice scraps of paper to scribble on.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 22:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Erm... you do realize that I said that it was good for printing out blank pages that fold nicely and sit in your pocket until you have a need to write something on them, right?

It's basically just a way of making nice scraps of paper to scribble on.

So rather than reusing paper that I already have, I should waste perfectly printable paper on it?

Damn...I'm not so good at following The American Way. :/

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 22:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) What an amazingly stupid ad-hoc argument.

2) I recycle and reuse almost everything. I'd be happy to compare the amount of trash my lifestyle generates to the amount yours does.

3) If you don't like the idea, don't use it. You don't have to be a dick about it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 22:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the jag, but I totally get printing organized info. on paper... and fail to grok printing blank paper.

P.S. Well, regarding point 2: Where do you think I get all my scrap paper from? [Frown]
Far too many people print things and fail to claim them.

--------------------

HongKongMusic
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 19785

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted July 14, 2008 00:49      Profile for HongKongMusic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but since it only prints on 1 side of the paper, you can use all that other paper you only used one side of, so it is recyclable. You have to think of it from the other point of view - it's a disposable tool that you can print on formerly-used paper.

The only problems I've found are that you have to cut about an inch off for it to work on A4 paper and the mini-grid didn't print with all its line.

Posts: 4 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture