homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » I am Iron Man

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am Iron Man
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 03, 2008 09:37      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Josh and I managed to get out to see Iron Man last night. In a word, Awesome!* I was laughing the whole way through. Stark's character is so wonderfully unapologetic and overdone that things that would be offensive if someone else did them just come off as eccentric and hilarious. I honestly don't have a single bad thing to say about this movie except that I caught the 9:30 show so I was a little to tired to pay attention properly toward the end.

I am definitely going to see this again while it's still in theaters. And when you see it be sure to stick around after the credits. I won't spoil you, but you get another short scene.

Action, adventure, explosions, fights, comedy, and Gwyneth Paltrow in a low-backed dress. It had everything.

Two thumbs up! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

* With the caveat that I never read any of the comics.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 14:07      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucky!!

I went to go see it last night with my friend - we walked into the theatre and there wasn't a single empty seat [Frown]

We had to go watch Harold and Kumer (spelling? - I don't care it was a crap movie) instead.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 14:27      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was planning on seeing the 8:30 show, but when we got there at 7:30 it was already sold out!

Go see it! Go see it! Go see it! Go see it!

I can't wait for the sequels. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 03, 2008 15:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me is jealous... maybe we will go this week.

(*gasp* actually go to a movie theatre? whoa, how retro. [Razz] )

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 16:26      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs I don't feel like starting a whole new thread or two, so please forgive this non ferrous post.

Our 11 year old son was on a school trip last week so we went to the cinema twice! I am not a film snob and enjoy popular films as much as "art house" but these two fall into the last category. We saw Persepolis, which I enjoyed, but IMO it is too obvious that it was originally a graphic novel, and I feel it probably suited that format better. There are too many characters, so most (apart from the wonderful grandmother) are too thinly drawn. Having said that I would still recommend this enjoyable stylish and unusual film.

I also went to see Mike Leigh's new film Happy Go Lucky. This has had rave reviews, but I was not completely sold on it. I just could not believe in the central character. Having said that like all his work this film haunts you, and you find yourself mulling it over for days afterwards. It also contains one absolutely outstanding performance from Eddie Marsan as the driving instructor. Only in Mike Leigh's films do you see character studies as convincing and of such depth as this. The film is worth seeing for him alone. It is not as good as its reviews, but even an average Mike Leigh film has more to say than just about any other film you could see.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 06, 2008 21:21      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bounce*

--------------------
óMiss Piggy

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2008 00:49      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it Sunday, and also thought it was excellent.

If The Dark Knight and the new Hulk movie turn out to be as good as I hope from what I've seen of the previews, this could be quite a summer for superhero films.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2008 05:06      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:

We had to go watch Harold and Kumer (spelling? - I don't care it was a crap movie) instead.

Harold and Kumar was a crap movie?

Your rights to say anything about any other movie ever again are hereby revoked.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2008 08:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:

Harold and Kumar was a crap movie?

Your rights to say anything about any other movie ever again are hereby revoked.

A lot of people think the sequel is crap.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2008 09:07      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Screw those people, too.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 07, 2008 21:21      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac and I just saw Iron Man... I concur with Peebs.. awesome!

Tons to love about this movie, I liked it better than any of the Iron Man comics I've read. I loved his relationship with the robots, and fantastic Stan Lee cameo.

[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2008 21:41      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got back from Iron Man myself!... For those of you who did not sit through the credits. PLEASE DO.. At the very end there is a preview of what is to come. You will be BLOWN away!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 10:48      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:
Just got back from Iron Man myself!... For those of you who did not sit through the credits. PLEASE DO.. At the very end there is a preview of what is to come. You will be BLOWN away!

But then I read that they're making Iron Man 2 and that other movie.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture