homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » How observant are you?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How observant are you?
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2008 12:04      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the test and find out.

Flash. Speakers add to experience.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2008 12:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you who don't want to be 'spoiled', view the video before looking at the postings below...

<anti-spoiler-block>
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Cool.

They played a similar one on Sleek Geeks (an aussie geek-tv show) recently.

Mrs Druid failed the test, (as did most of the studio audience).
My result doesn't count - I'd read about the 'correct' result.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 12, 2008 21:04      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moonwalking bear? Why not ask if we noticed a particular brand of shoe somebody was wearing? It's an interesting test, but if the initiating question demands that you pay attention to a particular aspect of the video, then I don't think it's realistic to expect somebody to have seen the bear.

On the contrary, if they simply played the video one person would count the black jersey passes, another person might count how many women are in the video, and a third would take notice of the bear.

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 06:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was distracted by the bear and missed the count of the white team's passes by 2. I'm not sure if that counts as passing the test or not.

Good to know my ADD is in full force, though [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 11:51      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't see the bear, but the team in black made 17 passes.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 12:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you fucking idiots know what spoilers are?
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 12:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
</anti-spoiler-block>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 13:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't want to be 'spoiled' view the video at the top of this page before reading any of the postings.

--------------------

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 15:27      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't fooled, but only because I saw this a few years ago, (maybe even here). It is taken from experiment performed originally in 1999. This article describes the research and links indirectly to the original films.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 15:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n Vic wrote:
Do you fucking idiots know what spoilers are?

We're not fucking idiots and we know exactly what a spoiler is. We're fucking assholes who don't care [Razz]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 15:58      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I wasn't fooled, but only because I saw this a few years ago, (maybe even here). It is taken from experiment performed originally in 1999. This article describes the research and links indirectly to the original films.

Interesting article. This little quote from a similar study fits with what I guessed was going on:
quote:
Simons and Chabris's work also hinted that inattentional blindness may depend on the similarity between unexpected and attended objects: Participants were more likely to notice a gorilla, whose fur was black, when they were attending to the basketball team in black shirts than when they were attending to the team in white shirts.
I know I was basically filtering out the people in black in order to count the white team's passes, so I just filtered out the guy in the black bear costume, too. I don't think missing the guy in the costume really counts as a "fail," though. In some situations, being able to filter out distractions would be a good thing. The point of the ad is that you don't want to do that while driving.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2008 08:22      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure it's not the worst thing that will happen today. Cripes.
Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2008 11:16      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised I missed the bear. Then again, he was wearing a black shirt [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture