homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » La Vie en Rose

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: La Vie en Rose
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 08:17      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often find Edith Piaf hard to listen to. Her songs are marvellous, but like Billie Holliday or Judy Garland, there is so much pain and desperation just under the surface, that it often leaves me feeling just depressed in a slightly voyeuristic way. So I arrived to see this film with mixed feelings, but was completely swept away by Marion Cotillard's tour de force Piaf. She is mesmeric, it is one of the finest pieces of acting I have ever seen, and she deserves to get every award available. It is almost spooky how good she is, you could almost imagine that she was possessed by Piaf's spirit. The film itself is a mixed bag. The cinematography (and production generally) is excellent, but they choose to tell the story of her life in a non linear way, and there are so many flashbacks and flash forwards that it can becomes confusing. However none of that matters, as Marion Cotillard is what you go to see. I saw this last Thursday and her performance still haunts my inner eye, and I still find myself humming Piaf's songs.

Go see this fantastic film.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 09:41      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic review!

I was considering going to see La Vie en Rose but wasn't sure. Now I'm definitely going.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture