homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Friday Five anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five anyone?
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 21:51      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been forever since we've had a Friday Five, so I thought I'd get one going today.

What are your 5 favorite NON-TECH Podcasts?

1) Tea With Hungry Lucy
One of my current favorite bands. I recommend starting from their 1st podcast. This husband and wife band have me laughing my a** off with their silliness. They do their own recording and distribution of their music. Support Indie Bands! www.hungrylucy.com *

2) SMODCAST . Kevin Smith & Scott Mosier talk about all things View Askew and then go off on crazy tangents. Warning lots of naughty words.*

3) TMBG Podcast They Might Be Giants, many unreleased songs and live performances.

4) Open Source Sex ADULTS ONLY. Ok the hostess Violet Blue does gush about her Mac sometimes, but this a podcast of erotica and sometimes interviews with erotica writers.*

5) Studio 360 . PRI's Studio 360 hosted by Kurt Andersen. If you listen to NPR you already know about this show, if not it is a show that covers just about everything, hard to describe, just give it try if you haven't.

*May praise Apple products on some episodes, but not a Tech Podcast.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 00:04      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually don't watch podcasts.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 00:15      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

Either do I, watching the above Podcasts would be quite boring (they are audio only). [Razz]
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 06:10      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to listen to the FLY show at work. It's a self-help/cleaning/organizing/cooking/parenting show. not that I need the parenting bit.

I'm trying to brainwash myself into not being a martyr. If I walk in the house one more time and moan "jesus christ, can't anybody but me do the GD dishes around here!" He's going to say he's had enough and bolt [Frown]

They're big believers in if you want things done, do them yourself and quit your fscking whining.

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 06:33      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even know what a podcast is... is it something to do with farming?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 08:21      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only listen to TWIT every now and then - but to have the time to listen to an over hour show is hard.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 10:33      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:

It's similar to a "stone's throw", but a pea pod doesn't go as far.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 11:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the misfortune of knowing what a podcast is, and have had to deal with a 'podcast guru' for corp. purposes, but I still have /zero/ interest in them. As far as I'm concerned, they're a colossal waste of time, and quite possibly the most inefficient way to present information.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 11:43      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. I can't absorb speech well unless I focus on it, which is out of question while I'm driving. And if I have the time to focus on it, I can read much more in the time it takes someone to speak it to me.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 12:45      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have five, but here's what I have

1. DL.TV - it isn't a podcast, but I just listen to the audio.
2. Sunnyvale Library - hosts podcasts on a bunch of stuff, but I really like their oral history project. http://www.librarypodcasts.org/

Glad you posted a Five!

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 12:46      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spungo:

Not quite...when the alien babies emerge from their birth capsules, the act is known as a "podcast". The discarded birth sac is often mistaken for a cranefly larva, also called a leatherjacket

[Edit] - oh, and I haven't dabbled in podcasts yet, hence the lack of a sensible contribution. [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 14:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, they're a colossal waste of time, and quite possibly the most inefficient way to present information.

You wouldn't say that about podcasts if you ever had to sit through one of my company's quarterly meetings.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 01:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen: Care to join me the next time I attend a 'five hour meeting from hell?'

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 09:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tales like this make me glad that half my lab has ADD and there's no way in hell we could stretch a meeting past an hour and a half...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 09:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 wrote:
Steen: Care to join me the next time I attend a 'five hour meeting from hell?'

Sure... but I'm bringing a Nintendo DS just like I did to my company's last quarterly meeting. HR had a little chat with me about that later and actually bought it when I said I was using it to take notes using PictoChat. [evil]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 13:43      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

Either do I, watching the above Podcasts would be quite boring (they are audio only). [Razz]
I assume that someone has already found a way to do a visual podcast . . . or if they haven't, it's coming.

I spoke too soon: The Vodcast (Video Podcast)

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 14:07      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes there are many Vidcasts, I do most of my Podcast listening on my commute to work, video would be bad to watch while driving. My favorite Vidcast is the Adobe Creative Suite Video Podcast by my friend Terry White . But for the most part I just don't have time to watch video ones.

I guess I thought more people listed to Podcasts when I made this thread. And how can they be a waste of time? There are so many different types of Podcasts, many are even educational. I learn many new things from the Tech ones I listen to.

Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 20:21      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit - I do listen to some podcasts - but I don't really use them in "podcast" form - I just download the MP3s and listen to those.

It goes in streaks - sometimes I listen to a couple on a regular basis, but more likely I'll ignore them all for a couple of months and then find a reference to one so I'll download all the back episodes at once and spend a day listening to those.

I find that many (most?) of the podcasts I've run into are pretty worthless in my opinion. They just don't interest me. But then again - most blogs fall into that category for me to.

I will admit that I once downloaded about 5 hours worth of podcasts from Matt's Basement Workshop and Wood Talk Online. Those were burned to a CD and listened to while I was on a trip to the parents. Then again - I love woodworking as a way to get away from the keyboard.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 04:36      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have zero interest in them.
Even though I listen to audio *always* while driving and while walking the street, I find podcasts not interesting.
I can read info much faster anyways.
And while on the street or driving, I want to relax, instead of having to absorb information.

Besides, I hate listening to pre-recorded speech. It drives me nuts in the car! Every time my iPod has an empty battery and I am forced to listen to the radio in my car I go nuts when commercials start or the hourly news.

I'd rather listen to the sound of people having sex than listen to any sort of podcast.

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 22:54      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. TMBG Podcast
2. Indy Mogul*
3. FitPot.com Firmix Archives
4. Happy Tree Friends*
5. Comedy Central Motherload Webshows*

*Video

Glad to find another TMBG fan.

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 17:13      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend has XM Radio and can download pod casts to his car radio... I've caught a bit of TWIT and it's aright, but I don't really follow any myself. Podcasting is a neat idea but it and talk radio require focus and so I'd have to listen in my time off which disappears pretty quickly to presonal projects, surfing and the couple of TV shows I follow. Not to mention things that need to get done out side of work.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2007 20:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not actually a podcast, but I've taken to using Stream Ripper to capture shows from internet radio stations while I'm sleeping/working. I then play those back later (hence the question about cue sheet enabled hardware players that I posted in a different topic).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture