homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Kingdom of Loathing (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Kingdom of Loathing
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 20:55      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favourite familiars is the Cocoabo, made by combing chocolate egg fragments to make a chocolate egg, then using it. You get the chocolate egg fragments in the first of the areas in the sky when you climb the beanstalk.

The Cocoabo is pretty handy as it randomly confuses opponents, restores health and magic and digs up meat. As it's a spoof of a certain Japanese RPG character it sometimes gets a "Limit Break!" in combat and has a double effect.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 22:13      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll remember that one. I'm building up a ghuol whelp at the moment, which has turned out to be pretty handy, as it restores health and magic. I combined the spooky-grow fertilizer and a ghuol egg to make it.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 02:18      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The leprechaun is pretty good too, you get him from adventuring in the spooky forest with a clover. (Eat your breakfast cereal.)

He increases meat drops according to his weight.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 06:32      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first favorite familiar is the Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot, and my second is the Ghost Pickle on a Stick. Neither are easy to obtain, unfortunately.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 19:28      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got me Green Pixie (whom I call UnShorn) on adventures with me. This guy is an absolute hoot!

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 14:52      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my multis managed a leprechaun, but my Disco-bandit-self wasted two clovers trying. I suppose this is not a familiar that is available to my Disco-bandit-self. Or perhaps my passive skill that increases meat drops interferes with acquisition of leprechauns. I got the Ghoul whelp, though, and it is very helpful, indeed. The mosquito is the lamest of the familiars, methinks.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Crazy Girl
Geek Larva
Member # 5146

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 16:02      Profile for Crazy Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I applied to the clan. I just started the game and so far I am enjoying it.
I am Manderson over at KoL.

Posts: 22 | From: Crazy World, USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 20:54      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
One of my multis managed a leprechaun, but my Disco-bandit-self wasted two clovers trying. I suppose this is not a familiar that is available to my Disco-bandit-self. Or perhaps my passive skill that increases meat drops interferes with acquisition of leprechauns. I got the Ghoul whelp, though, and it is very helpful, indeed. The mosquito is the lamest of the familiars, methinks.

I finally got a leprechaun on my fifth bowl of lucky charms. I saved the bowl until the next day when I picked up another clover. Who knows if that's what did it or if the odds finally kicked in?

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 01:48      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the leprechaun hatchling doesn't always drop, but it's not a character limitation. If you keep trying, you'll get one eventually.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 05:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't figure out how to get protection against "sleaze" or "hot" damage. Apparently I have stench protection, but not sure about the others. That, and one of my quests is sending me to "Hey Deze," but it's nowhere on my map, so I can't complete that part of my quest.

It's fun playing KoL, but sometimes it's confusing/frustrating not to know what's going on.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 12:01      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I guess I'll eat more cereal, then. Hey, I've put a cocoa egg in the stash. First one to grab it gets a new familiar- my favorite so far! Don't eat it, you'll make me cry if you do.

As far as protection from special damage, don't worry 'bout it too much. Keep track of which equipment does what and just use it when you need it. You'll find yourself dressing differently for each occasion.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 02:17      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I can't figure out how to get protection against "sleaze" or "hot" damage. Apparently I have stench protection, but not sure about the others. That, and one of my quests is sending me to "Hey Deze," but it's nowhere on my map, so I can't complete that part of my quest.

It's fun playing KoL, but sometimes it's confusing/frustrating not to know what's going on.

Different items and accessories have different effects. Some might give you bonuses to stats or item/meat drops, others might increase the damage you do and some offer protection against the different elements-- spooky, sleaze, stench, hot, and cold.

A good place to find an item that offers protection against an element is a location where you encounter monsters that do that kind of damage (hot damage at the Deep Fat Friars Gate, and an infernal insoles drop). You may also find them in a location leading to the one where you will need the item (the entryway of the Bat Hole before you can get into Guano Junction).

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 14:38      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also been making use of a few of the handy Greasmonkey Scripts various people have made available. The wiki has been a nice resource when I've gotten stuck.

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 14:28      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Girl:
I applied to the clan. I just started the game and so far I am enjoying it.
I am Manderson over at KoL.

Sorry for the delay. I added you.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 21:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-hic-

-

I was amused when I got a trophy for that [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 09:27      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief, man! How the heck did you manage to get so intoxicated?!

For some reason I never thought to keep drinking booze after I visited the tavern but even so, that seems like a lot of drinks.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 09:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's at least one drink in the game which you can still drink even after you're falling down drunk. The one I found doesn't give any adventures so it's sort of pointless unless you're trying to get the trophy.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 18:04      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Just Made A new Account.
I played A lot last year, thn I just forgot abut it.
I started Playing because of all the TMBG Referances.

Edit: Adter a couplle hours oof playing I advance to level 3 and I sent a request to join my account name is Mr_Sketchy_Galore

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 20:09      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should stop playing the Money Making game, but I am up by almost 9,000 Meat

Edit: See I told you, Now I'm down around 80,000 meat.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 20:48      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
I should stop playing the Money Making game, but I am up by almost 9,000 Meat

Edit: See I told you, Now I'm down around 80,000 meat.

What!?
Miind donating som to the needy?

stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 23:01      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm...wonder what I can do with 17 meat, No Adventures, no booze, and no food...Of Course! make a new account.

Note to self: don't waste all of the days adventures at the cassino immediately after rollover.

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2007 14:23      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who are Cartilage and Mr_Sketchy_Galore? Multis or more people?

Also, check out the store name contest. There's some booze and 500K meat up for the best name suggestion. (So far Steen's suggestion is in the lead with a whopping one vote, but he has declined the prize in the event he wins so it will go to AJM by default, as the submitter of the only other suggestions.)

--------------------

stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2007 21:50      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Me:
I Just Made A new Account.
I played A lot last year, thn I just forgot abut it.
I started Playing because of all the TMBG Referances.

Edit: Adter a couplle hours oof playing I advance to level 3 and I sent a request to join my account name is Mr_Sketchy_Galore

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2007 02:52      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, I missed that. 'K.

When you guys log in, you will have a meat drop boost buff for the next 15 adventures.

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2007 18:38      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something tells me this wouldn't be a problem for long in the Kingdom...

Romania confronts huge meat pile

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture