homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » The good, the bad and the ugly (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The good, the bad and the ugly
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2007 08:53            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just looks excessively sharpened.
IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2007 08:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Well it doesn't seem that bad here, maybe not great but I have seen worse... as for the woman she is one freckly mother and no mistake...

Sure...she has freckles...and that could arguably look find and/or great...but the dithering makes it look really 'blah.'

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2007 08:55      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overcompression is a serious pet-peeve of mine. Sunday I downloaded the "HD" 300 trailer, and it was so badly compressed that there were horrid artifacts all over the place. It was really distracting. HD my ass. Stupid thing was pretty huge, too, and compared to some of the other HD trailers (Harry Potter, for example) it was both larger and uglier.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2007 09:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The good: your mom.
The bad: your mom.
The ugly: your mom.

.. you had to see it coming.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 02:03      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
I'm always prefer lossless over lossy even if it has less support or bigger sizes. Is a personal perspective. For small or dark photos, PNG beats JPEG easily where compression is worthless and quality is demanding. In other cases, I'd go for TIFF, even if its support isn't as extensive as it should be, it has a better lossless compression for photos. RAW goes third, but support and file sizes might improve.
I'm a perfectionist so I hate that horrid tiles generated by JPEG artifacts, JPEG was made for the the 14k-28k baud modems in the early WWW years, now things have changed and size is not a priority when you have 500k+ bandwidth. JPEG should be dead. At least is dead for me.

Actually, in a sense,if you care about lossless versus lossy processing, you really should prefer raw formats to PNG or TIFF or JPEG. Since it's impossible to transform backwards from say TIFF to the corresponding RAW file, and different approaches to "processing" a given RAW file give vastly different end results (and also enable neat tricks such as converting a given RAW file to multiple (differently exposed) working files, then combining them suitable in Photoshop for high dynamic range photos.)
Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 09:34      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RAW rules - and a curse on my camera for not supporting it [ohwell]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 02, 2007 10:05      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, RAW is doing pretty well, but it may take some time for standardization and refining to be the best format for photography.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 10:25      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<chants> DNG! DNG! DNG!

As soon as the RAW files come off the cards and on to the
hard drive I use the Adobe DNG converter to change them
all to DNG format.
The compression is lossless and the files are about half the size.
Just about every current converter supports DNG and some
camera manufacuters are starting to use it as an optional RAW
format.

EDIT: Uh, DNG is Adobes' open standard for camera RAW files or 'Digital Negative'.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 10:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fsck this, where's my film? [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 11:49      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

That's exactly the reason I switched to digital [Big Grin]

--------------------

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 13:29      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Did you look in my refrigerator? [Razz]

-

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 02, 2007 18:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, but all of that is way too fancy to be *my* film. [Razz]

I actually do know where my film is. It's on my dresser. And my spare camera battery is in my backpack, and my trusty camera is on my desk.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2007 23:16      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the only camera I own is also a part of my 2-year-old cellphone, I don't think I can participate in that conversation.

However, I will list a trio of my own: sorting algorithms.

The good: radix sort
the bad: bubble sort
the ugly: merge sort

(note- I know there are better algorithms out there, I've even looked at a few recently, but I had to implement these three for a project in Data Structures and make a graph of their run times, so I feel particularly qualified to analyze them [Razz] )

radix sort: Obtains n*lg(n) runtime but requires n extra storage space, which on most systems isn't too much of an issue but can become worrisome on systems with limited memory, large array sizes, or if you get a lot of paging faults. Particularly easy to implement, especially if you don't care too much about tweaking and use STL Queues for your buckets.

merge sort: in my implementation, merge sort obtained a better running time than radix sort (compared to bubble sort, they both appeared to have constant time), but just barely. It could be optimized for different data types, but my implementation required n extra storage (though there is an in-place version available). If for some reason you have a limited stack size, this could become an issue (and I mean a VERY limited stack. If a function can't recurse more than 31 times, you have some serious issues). Also a problem for large datasets.

bubble sort: sucks, plain and simple. n**2 running time, though it requires no additional storage. Quoth Knuth: "The bubble sort has nothing to recommend it, except a cool sounding name."

/me prepares to be enlightened by the more wisened hackers here

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture